Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-5-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. Last Saturday the men’s basketball team lost their final regular season game at Gardner Webb by a score of 57-76 to finish the season 8-23 overall and 4-12 in Big South action… The Blue Hose will start play in the Big South Tournament in Conway today at 6 p.m. when the South Division #6 seed Blue Hose take on the North Division #3 seed Campbell… Also last Saturday the Lady Blue Hose closed out their regular season with a 76-72 win over Longwood improving their record to 19-10 overall and 14-4 in Big South play… They have received a bye in the first round of the Big South Tournament and will not play until Friday.. I’ll have more about that later in the week.
- JV Baseball: CHS 9 – Woodruff 4.. In JV baseball action last night at CHS, the JV team took a win 9-4 over Woodruff. Tristan Smaltz threw 4 shutout innings with Jeremy Simmons getting the win and Cameron Bishop finished up things on the mound. The three pitchers combined for 9 strikeouts on the night. Leading hitter was Austin Foster who was 3-4. Coach Mike Turner commented “ The guys played well tonight. I was really pleased with our pitching and defense tonight. We only made 1 error tonight and our 3 guys on the mound did a great job for us.” Their next game is Thursday Mar. 7 at 5:30 pm when they host Union.
- Boys Tennis: CHS 7 – Newberry 0… The boys tennis team opened up action yesterday with a 7-0 win over Newberry at home.. In singles action, Austin MacMillan, Alec Powell, Jay Pea, Isaac MacMillan & Todd Underwood all took wins.. Both doubles teams also notched victories…. The #1 doubles team was composed of Joe Scarborough & Jacob Tiller while the #2 team was composed of Mac Martin & Bowen Tiller… See the following link for complete match details: 2013-3-4_Newberry-0_CHS-7_ In Boys Tennis
- Shana Puckett Signs… Yesterday Shana Puckett a senior member of the CHS lacrosse team signed a letter of intent to play lacrosse for Columbia College.. If you go to my sports report at wlbg.com and look in the Between the Lines section under the Sports tab you will soon be able to see a short video interview done with her… Congratulations to Shana!
- Augusta Christian 6 – L.A. 5… Catching up on some action involving the Laurens Academy baseball team, the Crusaders opened up their season last Friday in search of their 7th straight SCISA Class A championship.. Their opponent was Augusta Christian and unfortunately Augusta Christian took a 6-5 win.. The Crusaders led 5-2 at the bottom of the 6th but let the game slip away in the end.. Caleb Greene and Nathan Tyson led the team offensively each going 2 for 3..
- Spartanburg Day 14 – L.A. 9.. Yesterday the Crusaders played their 2nd game of the season and the news is not what I would rather report as Spartanburg Day took a 14-9 win over the Crusaders.. I don’t have any details at this time but I get some I’ll update you later.
College Basketball Notes:
- Clemson: The Clemson Tigers have their last regular season game tonight as they host Boston College in a 7:00 pm contest… It will be senior Night and the Tigers will honor Devin Booker and Milton Jennings.. Their last regular season game will be this coming Saturday at Miami in a 2:30 contest.
- South Carolina: The Gamecocks will close out their regular season home schedule tomorrow night when they host Mississippi St. in a 7:–PM contest.. They too will also finish their regular season on the road Saturday up at Vanderbilt.
Local Sports Schedule: weather permitting
- Lacrosse host Spartanburg 6:00
- Tennis host Blue Ridge 4:30
- Golf host Newberry 4:00
- Soccer at Mid-Carolina 6:00
- Boys tennis @ Greenwood 4:30
- Track host Hillcrest & Woodmont 5:00
- Girls soccer host Greenwood 5:30
- Boys soccer host Greenwood 7:00
- JV & varsity softball @ Greenwood 5:30 / 7:30
- JV & varsity baseball host Greenwood 4:30 / 7:00 varsity game to be broadcast on Real radio 860 WLBG
- Softball host Wardlaw 5:00
- M.S. & Varsity baseball host Wardlaw 5:00 / 7:00
- This next game broadcasted from Laurens High School will be a baseball game on tomorrow when the Raiders take on the Greenwood Eagles… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from Ed Prescott Field. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.