Local sports: The weather yesterday managed to cancel most all the games in the area as far but I do have a couple of results for you.
- Soccer: Mid-Carolina 6 – CHS 2… The Red Devil soccer team did manage to open up their season yesterday traveling to Mid-Carolina to take o the Rebels.. Unfortunately the Rebels took a 6-2 win over the Red Devils.. Clinton trailed 3-0 at the end of the first half and Madison Simpson did manage to get both of Clinton’s goals in the 2nd half.. Mid-Carolina managed 14 shots on goal to Clintons 7… Truett Burns had 6 saves for the Red Devils.
- Softball: Greenwood 1 – LDHS 0… The Lady Raiders did make to Greenwood last night and they were able to get in the varsity game by switching starting time with the JV team.. Bad news for Raiders fans as the Lady Eagles took a 1-0 win in a rain shortened contest.. Greenwood scored their only run in the 4th inning of a bloop single, sacrifice bunt and a couple of passed balls… Greenwood was only able to muster 2 hits but Laurens managed none as Greenwood pitching struck out 12 Riders.. Laurens will play their 2nd game of the season as they travel to Clinton to take on the Lady Red Devils in a JV – Varsity doubleheader.. Varsity action is scheduled to start at 7:00.. There is no radio broadcast of this game but you can follow it on twitter @LadyRaidersSoft.
- Boys Tennis: Union 7 – LDHS 0… Doing a little catching up on the Raider boys’ tennis team that opened up their season on Monday afternoon… Coach Gordon Stallard reports that Union took a 7-0 win over the Raiders at City Park… He said that match was closer than it sounds as 2 of his athletes lost in 3rd set tiebreakers and that others had good matches but fell just a little short.. Better luck out next time.
- Baseball Schedule Change: I’ll go ahead and tell you that Coach Nelson informed me yesterday that the rain caused a “switch” in the schedule with Greenwood.. The raiders will make up yesterday’s game with Greenwood tomorrow but they will switch sites and travel to Greenwood.. Then on Friday March 29th Greenwood will come to Laurens a switch in the original game site.
Local Sports Schedule:
- V. Baseball host Newberry 6:00
- JV/V. Softball host Laurens 5:00/7:00
- Lacrosse host Wade Hampton 6:00
- JV baseball @ Westside 6:00
- JV/V. Softball at Clinton 5:00/7:00
- This next game broadcasted from Laurens High School will be a baseball game on tomorrow when the Raiders take on the Greenwood Eagles… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from Ed Prescott Field. … Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.