Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-8-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian college Athletics… Back on Tuesday night the men’s basketball team closed out its season with a 73-81 overtime loss to Campbell in the 1st round of the Big South Tournament… The Lady Blue Hose will open tournament play today at 2:00 PM as they take on Radford in 1st round action of the Big South Women’s Tournament in Conway.
- Softball: Ninety Six 10 – CHS 0…. The Lady Red Devils softball team traveled to Ninety Six yesterday to take on the Lady Wildcats and let’s just say it was not their day as the Ninety Six took a 10-0 win.. The wildcats scores 5 runs in the 1st and then coasted to the win as Clinton’s offense struggled… Clinton managed just three hits by 3 different players..Allison Oxner and Torri Merril each singled and Kylie Griffin had a double.
- JV Baseball: CHS 5 – Union 4… In JV baseball action better news as the Red Devil JV baseball team defeated Union 5-4 in 8 innings.. Chandler Todd had the game winning hit with 2 outs and the bases loaded in the bottom of the eighth… Davis Cunningham gave us 5 good innings on the mound and Brayden Gibbs pitched well the final 3innings to pick up the win. Crazy game in which we only had 2 hits, but still managed to win. We scored our runs on an error, a walk, 2 wild pitches and Todd’s game winning single. Even though we struggled at the plate tonight, our guys made plays when we had to and showed a lot of composure in a back and forth ball game. Next game at Union Mar.12th at 5:30pm. Record: 3-0.. Contributed by Coach Michael Turner..
- Soccer: Greer Middle College 3 – CHS 2… In other action at CHS, Greer Middle College took a 3-2 win in boys soccer… Noland Boozer and Madison Simpson each had a goal for the Red Devils.. Clinton had 10 shots on goal to Greer’s 16.. Seth Anderson had 7 saves for Clinton.. Clinton’s record is now 0-2 on the young season..
- Baseball: Greenwood 3 – Laurens 1… The Laurens Raider baseball team traveled to Greenwood yesterday to take on the Eagles and unfortunately for you Laurens fans, Greenwood took a 3-1 win handing the Raiders their 1st loss of the season… Laurens struck first in the 2nd inning when Shannon Smith led off with a single and reached 2nd on a passed ball.. A couple of sacrifices then brought him home.. After that, Laurens bats the fell silent as they collected only 1 other ht in the game and that was by Christian Burton… Greenwood took full advantage of their 6 hits on the night scoring 1 run in the 3rd and 2 in the 5th inning.. Shannon Smith took the loss for the Raiders pitching the complete game giving up those 6 hits, 3 runs, striking out 2 and walking only 1… Click on the following links for a scorecard view of the game and statistics for Laurens: Stats- 2013-3-7_Green-3_LDHS-BB-1_Stats, Scorecard- 2013-3-7_Green-3_LDHS-BB-1_scorecard
Local Sports Schedule:
- V. Softball at Abbeville 6:00
- Soccer at Newberry 5:30
- Friday & Saturday: Tennis at Furman TBA
- Saturday: Strength Meet at Woodruff TBA
- JV & Varsity baseball @ Hillcrest 5:30 / 7:00
- JV & Varsity softball host Hillcrest 5:30 / 7:20
- Saturday: Track @ Hillcrest
- We were planning on broadcasting the Laurens varsity softball game day as they host Hillcrest but due to the death of Mike Hughes’ father we will not be able to do so.
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game on Tuesday, March 12th when the Lady Raiders take on Easley in softball action… Join us a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the softball field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.