Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-12-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics.. The Lady Blue Hose basketball team’s season most likely came to an end last Friday as Radford took a 41-38 win in the Big South Quarterfinals down at Conway… PC cut Radford’s lead to 1 with 23 seconds left to play but just could not finish out the comeback… In case you missed it earlier, PC head coach Ronny Fisher was named Coach of the Year by his fellow coaches and media.. PC’s Karlee Taylor was named Scholar-Athlete of the Year and Mariah Pietrowski was selected to the All-Big South Conference Second Team… Congratulations to Coach Fisher and these fine athletes.
- Baseball: Abbeville 11 – Clinton 10… The Clinton Red Devil baseball team traveled to Abbeville last night to take on the Panthers and had a 10-7 lead going into the bottom of the 7th but let it slip away as the Panthers took an 11-10 win… The Red Devils put 5 runs on the board in the 2nd inning.. A couple of Abbeville errors, a walk and a hit batter coupled with an RBI single by Josh Simmons & a 3-run double by Bradley Templeton were the key components in the inning… Abbeville plated 4 runs in the 3rd to make it 5-4… Clinton added 2 more runs in the top of the 4th.. After a couple of walks, Templeton singled picking up and RBI and later Hunter Stewart drove him in with a single.. Clinton’s final 3 runs came in the top of the 6th giving them a 10-4 lead.. Again a walk and error by Abbeville along singles by Dalton Foster and Austin Wooten were key elements in the inning.. Abbeville scored 3 in the 6th and 4 in the 7th to take the win.. Templeton and Wooten each had 2 hits each and accounted for 4 of Clinton’s 7 hits…. Click on the following for game stats: 2013-3-11_CHS-10_Abb-11_BB
- Baseball: L.A. 11 – Anderson 9… Sorry no details at this time.
- Boys Tennis: LDHS 4 – Westside 3… I need to do a little a little catching up on boys tennis at LDHS.. Last Thursday afternoon the team picked up its first win of the season as they defeated the Rams of Westside by a score of 4-3 at Laurens City Park.. In singles action, Chris Mather, James Tinsley and Thomas Hughes all picked up wins.. Tinsley’s win was in 3 sets as he lost the first and then came back… In doubles action, the #2 team made up of Evan Osborne and Hunter Holtzclaw picked up the deciding win… Click on the following link for more match details: 2013-3-7_LDHS-4_West-3
- Boys Soccer: LDHS 3 – Hillcrest 2… Now catching up on boys’ soccer, the Raiders started their season last Friday when they traveled Hillcrest to take on the Rams… Good news as the Raiders took 3-2 win… The match was tied 2-2 at the end of regulation and all 5 of the Raiders taking penalty shots were successful.. Hillcrest missed one of theirs giving the Raiders the win.. Herman Salinas had at least 1 goal in the match.
College Basketball Notes:
- Clemson: The Clemson men’s basketball team will open play in the ACC Tournament on Thursday playing Florida State…. The Tigers are 13-17 overall and 5-13 in ACC play and will be the #11 seed while Florida State is 17-14 overall and 9-9 in conference play and are the # 6 seed… The tipoff is scheduled for 9:00 PM or 20 minutes after the conclusion of the previous game.
- South Carolina: The Gamecocks of South Carolina finished their season with a 14-17 overall record and 4-14 in SEC action… This gets them the #12 seed and they will start SEC Tournament play on Wednesday when they will face #13 seed Mississippi State… Miss. St. is 9-21 overall and 4-14 in SEC play.. The contest slated to start at 7:30
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV/V Softball at Broome 5:00/7:00
- JV Baseball at Union 5:30
- Golf at Newberry 4:00
- V. Baseball host Broome 6:00
- Boys golf host Greenwood @ Lakeside 4:00
- Boys Tennis @ Woodmont 4:30
- Track host Hannah 5:00
- Girls & Boys soccer @ Easley 5:30 / 7:00
- Baseball @ Easley 6:00
- JV & varsity softball host Easley 5:30 / 7:00
- Softball @ Anderson 5:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game today when the Lady Raiders take on Easley in softball action… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from the softball field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com… By the way it will be Little League Night and players will be recognized before the game..
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- Laurens Little League announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.