Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-13-13
- Softball: Broome 7 – CHS 3… The Lady Red Devil softball team traveled to Broome yesterday and they kept it close up until the end but Broome did pull it out late in the game to take a 7-3 win.. Clinton got 1 run in the 3rd and led until the 5th when Broome scored 2 to take a 2-1 lead.. Broome scored 5 in the 6th inning and Clintons got 2 in the 7th but could manage no more to make the final 7-3 Broome.. Jessica Wood was back on the mound last night and Coach Nickie Templeton said she pitched well just not quite well enough.. Brittany Templeton went 2-4 with an RBI.. Cassie Nichols and Jessica Wood each had an RBI for the Red Devils.
- Golf: On Monday the Red Devil Golf team hosted Chapman & Union County @ Lakeside C.C.. Chapman shot a team score of 164 to finish 1st, Clinton was just 2 strokes back with a 166 and Union County finished 3rd with a 174.. Hunter Nichols lead Clinton with a 2 under par 34.. Other match scores for Clinton were: Nate Moody 42, Michael Mann & Harrison Fisher 45, Riley Harris 46 and Zach Davis 47.
- Softball: LDHS 6 – Easley 5… The Lady Raider softball team kept coming back and never gave up as they scored 2 runs in the bottom of the 7th to take a 6-5 win over Easley at home last night.. Easley got on the board first scoring 2 runs in the in the 3rd and held the 2-0 lead until the 4th inning when Laurens score 3 to take a 1-run lead.. Elizabeth Carman opened the inning with a double and moved to 3rd when Maria Williamson singled.. A sacrifice fly by Annsley Nelson scored Carman.. Michaela Smith singled to put runners on 1st & 2nd.. Two batters later they both scored when Baylee Bragg singled.. Easley tied the game in the 5th but Laurens also scored in the 5th to make the score 4-3 Raiders… Tara Bond started the inning off with a single and after advancing to 2nd on an error, scored when M. Williamson singled.. Easley jumped back on top 5-4 when they scored 2 runs in the top of the 7th inning with a couple of Laurens miscues figuring into the 2 runs scoring… The Raiders did not let the adversity get them down as they started a rally with 1 out in the 7th.. Carman walked and Williamson doubled putting runners on 2nd & 3rd.. Nelson singled to load the bases.. An Easley error allowed Carman run to score tying the game.. Another error on a fly ball by Easley allowed pinch runner Bailey Gibbs to score the winning run… M. Williamson led the Raiders going 3-4.. Allison Foreback picked up the complete game win.. Click on the following for more complete game statistics:2013-3-12_Easley-5_LHSB-6
- JV Softball: LDHS 5 – Easley 4
- Baseball: Easley 8 – LDHS 5… The Raider baseball team traveled to Easley last night and the news was not as good as in the softball game as Easley took an 8-5 win over the Raiders.. Easley jumped out in front as they got 3 runs in the 1st off starting pitcher Shannon Smith… The Raiders made it 3-2 as they scored 2 in the top of the 2nd inning.. Two hit batters, a base on ball and a single by Thomas Jones were the key elements for the Raiders in the 2nd… Easley struck for 5 runs in the 3rd inning and that marked the end of the night for the starter Smith.. Tanner Adair came in and pitched the rest of the game keeping the Green Wave from doing any further damage.. Laurens did manage to single runs on the board in the 4th, 5th and 7th inning but just could not get the key hits at the right time leaving 8 runners on base.. Trey Finley, DiMarkus Sanders & Grayson Bailes each had 2 hits accounting for 6 of the Raiders 10 hits.. Click on the following for game stats and the game scorecard: 2013-3-12_LDHS-BB 5_Easley-8, & 2013-3-12_LDHS-BB 5_Easley-8_scorecard
- Softball: L.A. 24 – Anderson 2… Sorry no details at this time but that sure was a lot of runs.
Local Sports Schedule:
- V. Baseball host Broome 6:00
- JV. Baseball at Chapin 6:00
- Soccer at Laurens 5:30
- Lacrosse at Hillcrest 6:00
- Tennis at Emerald 4:30
- Boys soccer host Clinton 5:30
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game on Friday, March 15th when the Raiders take on the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets in region action… Join me a few minutes before 6:00 PM live from the field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- Laurens Little League announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.