Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-14-13
- Baseball: CHS 3 – Broome 1…. The Red Devils opened region play last night at home against Broome and Justin Foster gave up only 1 hit in a complete game win as Clinton defeated Broome 3-1… Clinton got on the board first in the 5th inning when Josh Simmons was hit by a pitch and later stole second… He then scored on a Broome error… Broome tied the game in the top of the 6th with their only run of the evening… Clinton regained the lead scoring their last 2 runs in the bottom of the 6th.. Dalton Foster reached on an error and moved to 2nd on a single by Hunter Stewart… A sacrifice by Kendal Pitts advanced the runners to 3rd & 2nd.. Foster then scored from 3rd on a passed ball.. One batter later, Stewart scored on a wild pitch… In route to the win, Justin Foster struck out 3 and walked 4…. Clinton managed only 4 hits on the night.. Matt Craven, Dalton Foster, Hunter Stewart and Kendal Pitts all had 1 hit each with Pitts’ being a double…. Click on following for more game stats: 2013-3-13_Broome-1_CHS-3_BB
- JV baseball: CHS 5 – Chapin 4 in 8 innings… The Red Devil JV baseball team traveled to Chapin and took a 5-4 win but it took 8 innings to do so.. Tristan Smaltz picked up the win for Clinton with Davis Cunningham picking up a save.. Leading the Red Devil attack was Braden Webb who went 3-4 with a triple and Cunningham who went 3-3… The JVs are off to a great start with a 4-0 record.
- Boys soccer: LDHS 6 – CHS 1… Yesterday we had the 2 cross county rivals Laurens and Clinton get together in boys soccer at LDHS… When the match ended the Raiders had taken a 6-1 win over the Red Devils… Clinton’s lone goal was registered by Madison Simpson on a penalty kick.. Tim Moore, Esgar Diaz, Hernan Salinas, Matt Henderson and Kevin Gonzales had goals for the Raiders… Clinton had 12 shots on goal to Laurens 15.. For Clinton, Jerry Reaves had 3 save in goal & Jose Gayton 2… For Laurens, Casey Downs had 6 saves and Alberto Martinez 0… Clinton is now 0-4 on the season and Laurens 2-1.
- Tennis: LDHS 5 – Woodmont 2… Catching up with some Laurens tennis results from Monday afternoon, the raiders traveled to Woodmont and picked up their 2nd win in a row as they defeated the Wildcats 5-2… Picking up wins in singles action were Chris Mather, Jacob Freeze, Thomas Hughes and Collin John… The #1 doubles team of Freeze and Mather also picked up win… Click here for match details: 2013-03-11_LDHS-5_Wood-2
- Boys Golf: Greenwood 154 – LDHS 168… Back on Tuesday afternoon the Raider boys’ golf teams hosted the Greenwood Eagles at Lakeside C.C…. Unfortunately the Eagles took the match 154 to 168… Laurens’ Ryan Wright was match medalist with a 35… Justin Thomason gave him a run for it with a 36.. In JV action, Laurens turned the tables shooting a 194 while Greenwood shot 202.. Nick Brown shot a 42 to be the low man for both teams… Click on the following for more complete match information: 2013-3-12_Gwd-154_LDHS-168
Local Sports Schedule:
- Golf at Abbeville 4:00
- Soccer host Dixie 5:30
- Lacrosse at Woodmont 6:00
- Track at Union 5:00
- V. Baseball at Newberry 6:00
- Tennis at Blue Ridge 4:30
- Boys Golf host TL Hannah @ Lakeside 4:00
- Boys Tennis host Easley @ Laurens City Park 4:30
- NOTE: Softball games scheduled for today will be march 21st.
- Softball host Shannon Forest 4:30
- Baseball host Christ Church 4:30
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball tomorrow Friday, March 15th when the Raiders take on the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets in region action… Join me a few minutes before 6:00 PM live from the field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- Laurens Little League announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.