Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-15-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Now that basketball season is over for PC we will be turning our attention to other sports like baseball & softball… The PC baseball team took a 3-1 victory over Wofford on Wednesday up in Spartanburg improving their record to 11-7 on the season.. The Blue Hose will host UConn in a weekend series with the 1st game today at 3 PM.. They will play at Fluor Field in Greenville tomorrow at 6 PM and finish the series back in Clinton on Sunday at 1 PM… UConn normally has a tough team, should be a good test for PC… Go Blue Hose!
- Soccer: CHS 5 – Dixie 2… Yesterday at the CHS soccer field the Red Devils defeated Dixie 5-2 for their 1st win of the season.. Madison Simpson had 3 goals to lead the Red Devil attack.. Rodolfo Orozco and Jay Roland each had a goal.. Clinton had 13 shots on goal to Dixie’s 14 and Jerry Reaves saved 6 of those shots in goal..
- Golf: CHS defeats Abbeville & Crescent… Also yesterday the golf team traveled to Abbeville and they too had a nice ride home as they shot a 179 to defeat both Abbeville (198) and Crescent (224)… Hunter Nichols was match medalist with a 38.. Scores for other CHS players were; Nate Moody 43, Zach Davis 47 and Harrison Fisher 51.. The Red Devils are now 4-3 on the season.
- Baseball: Newberry 7 – CHS 6… The Red Devil baseball team traveled to Newberry last night and lost a heart-breaker as Clinton scored 2 runs in the top of the 7th inning to tie the game 6-6 only to have the Bulldogs score a run with 2 outs in their half of the 7th to take a 7-6 win.. Newberry struck 1st getting a run in the bottom of the 1st but Clinton got 3 in the top of the 2nd to make it 3-1.. Dalton Foster, Hunter Stewart, Kendal Pitts & Josh Simmons all had key hits in the inning.. Clinton added another run in the 3rd with 2 outs when K. Pitts singled and was later driven in by J. Simmons.. Newberry got 1 run in their half of the 3rd to make it 4-2 still Clinton on top… In the bottom of the 5th Newberry erupted for 4 runs to take a 6-4 lead… Clinton scored 2 runs in the top of the 7th to tie the game.. A walk to D. Foster, a double by H. Stewart and a walk to K. Pitts loaded the bases.. Back-to-back walks to Austin Wooten & Justin Foster then tied the game… K. Pitts then tried to score the go-ahead run on a fly ball out and was thrown out at home.. In the bottom of the 7th, Newberry got a runner on via the walk after 1 out and then scored later on a 2-out single to win the game.. Three Red Devils had 2 hits on the night.. They were Kendal Pitts, Hunter Stewart & Josh Simmons.. For more stats on the game, click on the following: 2013-3-14__CHS-6__New-7_BB
- Girls Soccer: Easley 7 – LDHS 2.. Back on Tuesday the girls’ soccer team traveled to Easley and unfortunately the Lady Green Wave took a 7-2 win… Macy Greer and Jessica Ackerman had the Raider Goals..
- Boys Soccer: Easley 7 – LDHS 1…. Also on Tuesday night the boys’ soccer team also faced off with the Green Wave up at Easley and they to fell by a score of 7-1.. Laurens was only down 1-0 at the half but quickly fell further behind in the 2nd half.. Hernan Salinas registered the only Raider goal..
Baseball: L.A. 3 – Christ Church 1… Now I don’t have any other details than the final score but I can tell you that the Laurens Academy baseball team took a 3-1 win over Christ Church yesterday out at the Crusaders home field.
- Florida St. 73 – Clemson 69… It was a tough night for the Tigers as they led by 5 at the half but let it slip away as Florida State took a 73-69 win in 1st round action in the ACC Tournament in Greensboro.. Clemson played tough and had their chance at the end but could not quite pull it out.
Local Sports Schedule:
- V Baseball at Chester 6:00:
- Note: The JV & Varsity softball games scheduled for today at CHS have been postponed and the make-up date has not been decided yet.. Of course that means that the broadcast scheduled for today on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC is also canceled.
- Girls & Boys soccer host TL Hannah 5:30 / 7:00
- Var. baseball host TL Hannah 6:00 To be broadcast on Real Radio 860 WLBG.
- Var. Softball vs. Lexington @ Lexington 5:00 & Nation Ford 9:00
- Saturday: Softball vs. Brooklyn Casey @ Lexington 10:30 then 2 other games TBA
- Saturday: Track @ Spartanburg High Relays
- Baseball @ Newberry 4:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game today when the Raiders take on the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets in region action… Join me a few minutes before 6:00 PM live from the field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- Laurens Little League announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.