- Baseball: Chester 8 – CHS 7… Last Friday night the Red Devil baseball team traveled to Chester and for the 2nd night in a row the Red Devils lost by a single run as Chester took an 8-7 win in region play… Chester scored a single run in their half of the 1st inning but the s picked up 2 run in the top of the 2nd inning.. Dalton Foster led off with a double to left field and moved to 3rd when Hunter Stewart grounded out… He then scored on a wild pitch.. Kendal Pitts then walked and his courtesy runner Charles McKinney then scored on back-to-back singles by Bradley Templeton & Josh Simmons to make it 2-1 Red Devils… Clinton added another run in the 3rd Matt Craven singled then stole 2nd and moved to 3rd on a passed ball. He then scored n a ground out by Colby Templeton making it 3-1… Chester tied the game with 2 runs in their half of the 3rd aided by walks, a hit batter, a wild pitch and an error… Chester then broke on top with a 4 run 4th inning… Clinton came right back in the 5th inning and put 3 on the board to make the score 7-6 Chester.. The key hit in the inning was a triple by Colby Templeton to unload the bases after a Cyclone error and 2 walks had loaded them.. Chester picked up another run in the 6th inning to make it 8-6… Clinton attempted to rally in the 7th and did pick up 1 run but could get no closer and the final score was 8-7 Chester.. Clinton only had 5 hits on the evening and they were all by different players.. Click on the following link for game stats: 2013-3-15__CHS-7__Chester-8_BB
- Baseball: LDHS 9 – TL Hannah 3… In region action last Friday night at LDHS the Raider baseball team took a 9-3 decision over the TL Hannah Yellow Jacket with Tanner Adair picking up the complete game victory.. The Raiders picked up a single run in the 1st when Christian Burton who walked was brought in after a fielder’s choice and 2 hit batters.. The Raiders then erupted for 5 runs in the 3rd inning… Burton lead the inning off with a double and scored on a single by Cody Smiley.. A single by Trey Finley and Grayson Bailes being hit by a pitch loaded the bases… Hammer Walker then tripled over the center fielder to clear the bases of runners in front of him… Tanner Adair then singled Walker home to make it 6-0… Laurens added its last 3 runs in the 4th inning as Smiley and Finley both singled with 1 out.. Bailes then drew a walk to load the bases and Walker also walked brining in a run… Adair was then hit by a pitch scoring the 2nd run of the inning and the last run was scored on a throwing error by the right fielder… Hannah picked up their 3 runs in the top of the 7th as Adair began to tire a little… Adair gave up 6 hits, 3 runs, while striking out 2 and walking 3… The Raiders had 11 hits with 5 players getting 2 hits each… They were Di’Markus Sanders, Christian Burton, Cody Smiley, Trey Finley and hammer Walker.. Click on the following to see more complete statistics: 2013-3-15__Hannah-3_LDHS-9-BB Score Card: 2013-3-15_Hannah-3_LDHS-9_BB_Scorecard
Lady Raider Softball: The Lady Raider softball team traveled to Lexington to participate in The Lady Wildcat Tournament on Friday and Saturday… The Lady Raiders won 3 of the 5 games they played..
- Lexington 5 – Laurens 3… In a time limit shortened game on Friday, Lexington took a 5-3 win… Lexington scored 2 runs to get on the board first in the bottom of the 1st inning… Laurens responded with a run in the 2nd when Elizabeth Carman led off with a double and later scored on a single by Maria Williamson… Lexington added a run making it 3-1 at the end of 3 innings… Laurens tied the game in the 5th inning when Haley Smith, Jordan Henderson, Carman and Williamson all singled… Three doubles in a row allowed Lexington to score 2 runs in their half of the 5th inning to take the win as time ran out.. Click on the following for game stats: 2013-3-15_Lexington-5_LHSB-3
- Laurens 6 – Nations Ford 4…In the 2nd game on Friday the Lady Raiders played long ball as they defeated nations Ford 6-4.. In this game all of Laurens runs came off homeruns.. In the bottom of the 1st inning, Maria Williamson hit a grand slam to put the Raiders up 4-0.. N.F picked up a run in the 2nd and another in the 3rd to make it 4-2 Raiders… Michaela Smith homered for Laurens in the 3rd to make it 5-2… N.F picked up their last 2 runs in the 4th inning… Laurens finished their scoring in the 6th when Elizabeth Carman homered to center field.. Click on the following for game statistics: 2013-3-15_LHSB-6_Nat_Ford-4
- Laurens 14 – Dutch Fork 4… In their first game on Saturday morning, the Lady Raiders pounded out a 14-4 win over Dutch Fork… Laurens scored 4 runs in the bottom of the 1st inning with Michaela Smith & Elizabeth Carman walking and Maria Williamson getting a single to drive in 2 runs… Jordan Henderson later singled to bring in Williamson… Henderson later scored on an error by D.F… Laurens added 4 more runs in the 2nd inning.. After 1 out, Tara Bond, Haley Smith & Baylee Bragg each singled.. Carman then drew a walk to bring in a run and Williamson doubled to bring in 2 more.. Henderson then singled to bring in another run making it 8-0 Laurens… D.F then collected 2 runs in the top of the 3rd and 2 more in the 5th … In the bottom of the 5th, Laurens again struck for 4 runs.. Annsley Nelson reached on an error and then scored when Allison Foreback doubled… Tara Bond then singled bringing in Foreback’s courtesy runner Shelby Wagner… H. Smith then singled shortly after which see and Bonds both stole 2nd & 3rd respectively… Bragg then sacrifice in Bond and that was followed by M. Smith sacrificing in H. Smith… Laurens closed out their scoring in the 6th inning Henderson leadoff with a single and Wagner reached on an error… Foreback then singled bringing in Henderson and that was followed by Bond getting a single and scoring Wagner with the 14th run giving Laurens a 10 run lead and ending the game on the 10 run rule… Click on the following to see game statistics: 2013-3-16_LHSB-14_Dutch_Fork-4
- Ashley Ridge 7 – Laurens 3… The Lady Raiders picked up their second loss of the tournament in their 2nd game on Saturday as Ashley Ridge took a 7-3 win… Laurens jumped in front with 2 runs in the top of the 4th inning.. With 1 out, Elizabeth Carman singled, Jordan Henderson reached on a fielder’s choice where Carman was put out at 2nd for the second out… Annsley Nelson then walked followed by Allison Foreback getting a single which scored Henderson… Tara Bond then singled driving in Nelson making it 2-0 Raiders.. Ashley Ridge got 6 of their runs in the bottom of the 4th with a couple of Laurens errors and a grand slam homerun… Laurens final run came in the 6th inning.. Annsley Nelson reached on an error and was later brought in on a single by Tara Bonds… A.R. collected their final run in the bottom of the 6th and Laurens got a couple of runners on in the 7th but could not score… Click on following for game stats: 2013-3-16_Ashley_Ridge-7_LHSB-3
- Laurens 17 – Brooklyn Cayce 4… In their final game of the tournament on Saturday, the Lady Raiders pounded out 16 hits and 17 runs as they took a 17-4 win over Brooklyn Cayce… In the top of the 1st inning Laurens struck for 4 runs… A couple of B.C. errors coupled with key hits by Haley Smith, Elizabeth Carman and Maria Williamson were the reasons behind Laurens scores in the inning… B.C. picked up 1 run in the bottom of the 1st… Laurens scored 3 runs in the 2nd make it it 7-1… Baylee Bragg, Michaela Smith, Maria Williamson and Jordan Henderson provided the offensive punch in the inning…. Laurens put a 5 spot on the board in the 3rd inning which was started by a walk to Tara Bond.. After that, H. Smith, B. Bragg, Elizabeth Carman & J. Henderson all had hits.. The big hit of the inning was M. Williamson’s 2nd grand slam of the tournament… This made the score 12-1 Raiders… B.C picked up their last final 3 runs… Laurens added 5 insurance runs in the top of the 4th … Three B.C. errors plus hits by H. Smith, M. Smith, Bailey Gibbs & Shelby Wagner were the reason behind those runs… B.B went down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the 4th and then the game was called… Click on the following for game stats: 2013-3-16_LHSB-17_Brooklyn_Cayce-4
Local Sports Schedule:
- Golf host Mid-Carolina & Greer @ Lakeside C.C. 4:00
- JV & Varsity baseball host Laurens 4:30 / 7:00
- Boys Tennis @ Union County 4:30
- Boys soccer @ Newberry 5:30
- JV & Varsity baseball @ Clinton 4:30 / 7:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game on tomorrow when the Lady Raiders take on the Lady Patriots of JL Mann in region action… Join me a few minutes before 6:30 PM live from the field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- Laurens Little League announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.