Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-19-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose baseball team took 2 out of 3 from UConn this past weekend running their record to 13-8 on the season… They took a 6-4 win in Clinton on Friday and lost 13-2 at Fluor Field on Saturday.. They took the rubber game of the series by a score of 5-4 in Clinton on Sunday… They will return to action tomorrow as they host the Wofford Terriers at home at 3:00… By the way, the girls softball team is not doing badly either, they are 14-12 on the season.
Local sports: Most of the local sporting events were rained out due to the weather so we are going to do some “catching up” today
- Boys Tennis: CHS 4 – Emerald 3… Last Wednesday the CHS boy’s tennis team traveled to Greenwood to take on the Vikings of Emerald and the ride home was a good one as the Red Devils took a 4-3 win… In singles action, Austin MacMillan, Alec Powell & Isaach MacMillan all took wins.. The #1 doubles team composed of Austin MacMillan and Powell also took straight set wins.. For more details on the match click on the following:2013-3-13_Emerald-3_CHS-4
- Boys Tennis: Blue Ridge 5 – CHS 2… The tennis team was back in action again last Thursday as they traveled to Blue Ridge… It was a very close match as each individual set went to a tie breaker… In the end, Blue Ridge took a 5-2 win over Clinton… Clinton posted wins in the #4 & #5 singles spots.. Isaac MacMillan and Robert Powell had those two victories… Click on the following for more match details: 2013-3-14_Blue_Rid-5_CHS-2
- Boys Golf: TL Hanna 151 – LDHS 161… Last Thursday the Raider golf team hosted TL Hanna at Lakeside C.C. and the Raiders fell a little short as Hanna took a 151-161 10 stroke win… Ryan Wright had the lowest score for the Raiders as he shot a 37… Click on the following for complete Laurens scores: 2013-3-14_Hanna-161_LDHS-151
- Boys Golf – Tee-Off Classic… Last Saturday the Raider golf team was back in action at the Tee-Off Classic at Star Fort in Ninety Six, SC… They were one of 17 team participating in the event… Emerald won the tournament shooting a 308… Laurens shot a 345 and Ryan Wright and Justin Thomason led Laurens as they both shot 79… Click on the following for more details on the match: 2013-3-16_Tee-Off-Classic
- Boys Tennis: Easley 7 – LDHS 0… The Raider tennis team had its 2 match winning streak broken last Thursday as Easley took a 7-0 win at the Laurens City Park… A couple of the individual matches were close but the Raiders just could not quite pull one out… Click on the following for match details: 2013-03-14_LDHS-0_Easley-7
NOTE: LDHS – CHS baseball….The Laurens @ Clinton baseball games that were postponed yesterday due to weather have been partially rescheduled…. The varsity games is now slated for this Thursday at 6:00… JV is yet to be rescheduled.
- While no men’s basketball team made it into the NCAA Men’s basketball Championship field one of the women’s teams did make it to the women’s “Big Show” and that is the Gamecocks of the Univ. of South Carolina… Coach Dawn Staley and the team received a #4 seed in the Norfolk Regional… They will travel to Boulder, Colorado and take on #12 seed South Dakota State in a 4:10 pm (ET) contest this Saturday which will be televised on ESPN2… South Carolina finished 24-7 on the season and made it all the way to the Sweet Sixteen last year..
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV/V Softball at Woodruff 5:00/7:00
- JV Baseball at Woodruff 6:00
- Tennis host Woodruff 4:30
- V. Baseball host Woodruff 6:00
- Soccer host Woodruff 5:30
- Boys Golf @ Easley 4:00
- Boys Tennis host Hillcrest @ Laurens City Courts 4:30
- Track team at Greenwood 5:00
- Girls & boys soccer host JL Mann 5:30 / 7:00
- Varsity baseball @ JL Mann 6:00
- Varsity softball host JL Mann 6:30 This game will be broadcast on Real radio 860 WLBG
- Softball @ Wardlaw 5:00
- Baseball @ Wardlaw 5:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game on today when the Lady Raiders take on the Lady Patriots of JL Mann in region action… Join me a few minutes before 6:30 PM live from the field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.