Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-20-13
- Baseball: CHS 8 – Woodruff 0… The CHS baseball team hosted Woodruff last night and good news as the Red Devils snapped a 2 game losing streak as they took an 8-0 win over Woodruff in region action last night at home.. Clinton put 1 run on the board in the 1st inning when Matt Craven led off with a single and later scored on a single by Dalton Foster… Clinton added 6 more in the bottom of the 2nd inning… In the inning a couple of walks and singles by Austin Wooten, Josh Simmons, Matt Craven, Brandon Pitts and Dalton Foster were the catalyst for the runs… The Red devils last run came in the 3rd as Kendal Pitts led off with a single and his courtesy runner Blake Riddle later scored on a single by Matt Craven… Austin Wooten picked up the complete game victory giving up only 4 hits while striking out 2 and walking 2… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-3-19__CHS-8__Woodruff-0_BB
- Softball: Woodruff 16 – CHS 0… I don’t have any details other than the final score so I will go ahead and give you that…. In softball action, Woodruff took a 16-0 win over CHS up at Woodruff last night..
- Softball: JL Mann 10 – LDHS.. . The Lady Raider softball team hosted the Lady Patriots of JL Mann last night in region softball action… Mann has a traditionally strong team and it appears as that is the case again this year as Mann took a 10-0 win.. Mann scored 3 runs in the 1st, 1 in the 2nd, 4 in the 3rd, and 1 in the 4th & 6th inning… Mann’s Mattilyn Moss limited the Raiders to just 2 hits one by Maria Williamson and the other by Jordan Henderson… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-3-19_JL-Mann-10_LHSB-0, Score card: 2013-3-19_JL-Mann-10_LHSB-0_scorecard
- Baseball: LDHS 7 – JL Mann 2… Better news for the baseball team as Laurens traveled to JL Mann and came back with a 7-2 win in region action… Mann jumped out in front 1-0 picking up a run in the bottom of the 1st inning.. The Raiders took the lead in the 4th inning when they put 5 on the scoreboard.. Cody Smiley led off with a single, Trey Finley walked Grayson Bailes singled to load the bases… A single by Hammer Walker brought in a run…. Shannon Smith sacrificed in a run, and then Thomas Jones had a double to bring in 2 more… A Patriot error helped bring in another run…. Laurens got its last 2 runs in the top of the 7th off 3 walks and hits by Trae Coleman, & Cody Smiley… Mann picked up a single run in the bottom of the 7th but could get no closer… Shannon Smith got the complete game win giving up the 2 run (only 1 of which was earned) on 6 hits while striking out 4 and walking 1…. Click on the following for game stats: 2013-3-19-LDHS-BB 7_Mann-2 Score card:2013-3-19-LDHS-BB 7_Mann-2_scorecard
- The Presbyterian College women’s basketball team (19-11, 14-4 Big South) makes its first postseason appearance since 2001-02 when PC faces Lamar in the first round of the Women’s Basketball Invitational on tonight at 8 p.m. The appearance marks PC’s first in the four-year-old, 16-team tournament. The Blue Hose will enter as the No. 7 seed in the West Region while No. 2 Lamar hosts the first-ever meeting at Lamar State College-Port Arthur… Live audio will be available via LamarCardinals.com.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV. Baseball host Chapin 6:00
- Tennis host Riverside 4:30
- V Softball host Abbeville cancelled – will not be made up.
LDHS: Nothing Noted
- Softball host Newberry 5:00
- Var. baseball host Woodruff 6:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game on Friday, March 22nd when the Lady Raiders take on the Westside Rams in region action… Join me a few minutes before 7:15 PM live from the field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.