Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-21-13
- JV Baseball: CHS 8 – Woodruff 3… On Tuesday night the Clinton JV baseball team traveled to Woodruff and came back up the road with an 8-3 win.. Clinton scored 2 runs in the 1st & 2nd innings while adding 4 more in the 7th… Woodruff got 2 runs in the 5th and a single run in the 7th… Jeremy Simmons picked up the win for Clinton… Simmons also went 3-4 with a double… Clinton also played error-less ball.
- JV Baseball: CHS 3 – Chapin 2… The red Devil JV baseball team was right back in action on Wednesday night as they hosted Chapin… Chapin had a 2-1 lead going into the bottom of the 7th inning but Clinton rallied and won the game on a 2 out single by Tyler Kelley… Tristan Smaltz picked up the complete game win pitching a 2 hitter… With the win, the JV record goes to 6-0.
- Soccer: Woodruff 3 – CHS 2… On Tuesday of this week the Red Devil soccer team hosted the wolverines from Woodruff… It was a tight match that went 2 overtimes and had to be decided on penalty kicks and when it was all over, Woodruff had escaped with a 3-2 win… Madison Simpson and Joseph Rodriquez had Clinton’s two goals… Clinton had 15 shots on goal to Woodruff’s 17… Jerry Reaves had 12 saves for Clinton… Clinton’s record now stands at 1-5.
- Boys Tennis: CHS 6 – Woodruff 0… Also last Tuesday the tennis team hosted Woodruff and the red Devils took a 6-0 win… Austin MacMillan, Alec Powell, Jay Peay, Isaac MacMillan and Robert Powell all had wins in singles action.. Jacob Tiller and Todd Underwood picked up a win in doubles action… Click on the following for more match details: 2013-3-19_Wood-0-5_CHS-6
- Boys Tennis: CHS 4 – Riverside 3… On Wednesday the tennis team was right back in action as they hosted Riverside.. It was a hard fought match but in the end, Clinton won 4-3… Alec Powell, Jay Peay and Isaac MacMillan picked up wins in singles action for the Red Devils… Jacob Tiller and Joe Scarborough picked up the deciding win in doubles action… The Red Devils are now 3-1 overall on the season and 1-0 in region play… Click on the following for more match details: 2013-3-20_River-3_CHS-4
- Tennis: TL Hanna 7 – LDHS 0… On Tuesday the boys’ tennis team travelled to TL Hanna to take on what has traditionally been a tough TL Hanna Yellow Jacket tennis squad and it appears that they are keeping that tradition going as they took a 7-0 win over Laurens… Chris Mather had the best performance for the raiders but still came up short… Click on following for match details:2013-03-19_LDHS-0_Hanna-7
- Golf… Also on Tuesday the boys’ golf team traveled to Mauldin and took part in a 3-way match with JL Mann & Woodmont at the Hejaz Golf Club… Mann won shooting a 165 while Woodmont finished second with a 181.. The Raiders finished 3rd with a 187.. Ryan Wright had the low score for Laurens with a 37… The JV team was also in action Tuesday at Lakeside C.C. as they hosted the JL Mann JV team.. Mann took the win shooting 180 to Laurens 208.. Jasen McCurrry had the low score for the Raider JV team as he shot a 51… Click on the following for more details on both these matches:2013-3-19_Var-JV
- Soccer… In soccer action at LDHS on Tuesday night, JL Mann took a 11-0 win over the lady raiders in girls action… In boys’ action the same night, JL Mann also won.
Laurens Academy: Now catching up on action at Laurens Academy:
- Softball: L.A. 15 – Shannon Forest 0… On Thursday of last week the Lady Crusaders took a 15-0 win in 3 innings… The Lady Crusaders had over a dozen homeruns in the game.
- Softball: L.A. 9 – Wardlaw 0… On Tuesday of this week the Lady Crusaders continued to roll as they took a 9-0 win over Wardlaw at Wardlaw… Carmen McGee picked up the complete game win and Kaitlyn Muir had a 2 run homer in the game.
- Baseball: L.A. 14 – Wardlaw 2… The Crusaders used 3 pitchers who did not allow a hit while striking out 6 and walking 6 in the 5 inning game.
- Baseball: Woodruff 7 – L.A. 1… In action at L.A. on Wednesday, The Woodruff Wolverines jumped out on top 4-0 at the end of the 1st inning and went on to a 7-1 win over the Crusaders.. The Crusaders got their run in the 4th inning on hits by Caleb Sims and Hunter Elwood.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Golf host Laurens 4:00
- Lacrosse host Spartanburg 6:00
- Track host Union/Chester 5:00
- Tennis at Union 4:30
- Varsity baseball host Laurens 6:00
- Golf host Westside @ Lakeside C.C. 4:00
- Boys tennis @ Mann 4:30
- Varsity baseball @ Clinton 6:00
- Softball host Newberry 5:00
- Baseball @ Union County 7:30
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game this Friday, March 22nd when the Lady Raiders take on the Lady Rams of Westside in region action… Join me a few minutes before 7:20 PM live from the field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com. By the way, its Diner on the Diamond night this Friday as they will have BBQ ribs, baked beans, cole slaw, roll dessert & tea foe $10… Tickets are available from any softball player… Come out and enjoy a great meal as the Lady Raiders raise funds for their program.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.