Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-22-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Presbyterian College women’s basketball team’s season came to an end with a loss to Lamar in the opening round of the Women’s Basketball Invitational at Lamar State College-Port Arthur on Wednesday evening, 70-48…PC finishes the season with a 19-12 overall record, the most wins in a season since 2005-06 in its first trip to the postseason since 2001-02… Congratulation to Coach Fisher and the team on a great season.
- Tennis: CHS 7 – Union County 0… The CHS boys’ tennis team traveled t Union County in region action yesterday and ran their region record to 2-0 as they defeated the yellow Jackets 7-0… Austin MacMillan, Alec Powell, Jay Peay, Isaac MacMillan & Robert Powell all had wins in singles action… Both doubles teams also picked up wins… The #1 doubles team was made up of A. MacMillan & Powell while the #2 team is Jacob Tiller & Joe Scarborough… Click on the following for more match details: 2013-3-21__CHS-7_Union-0
CHS – LDHS
- Golf: Yesterday CHS, LDHS & Westside got together for a 3 way match at Lakeside C.C… Clinton shot a 169 to finish 1st while Laurens shot a 174 and Westside 186… Clinton was led by Hunter Nichols who shot a 36… He was edged out as the match medalist by Ryan Wright of Laurens who had a 35… Click on the following for more match details:2013-3-22_Golf
- Baseball: Laurens 15 – Clinton 1… In the first meeting between the 2 old rivals in baseball for this year, Laurens took a 15-1 win over Clinton at Clinton last night… Laurens scored 5 runs in the 1st, 5 in the 3rd, 1 in the 4th and 4 in the 5th in route to the win… Clinton got their lone run in the 5th inning… Laurens collected 13 hits on the night with Di’Marcus Sanders, Trey Finley, Christian Burton, Hammer Walker and Shannon Smith each had 2 hits… One of Smith’s was a grand slam homerun… Clinton had 3 hits 1 each for Matt Craven, Hunter Stewart and Austin Wooten… Wooten’s was a double… You can get a more complete recap of the game at the respective schools athletic websites… Click on the following for more stats on the game: 2013-3-21_LDHS-BB 15_CHS-1
- Softball: Laurens 22 – TL Hanna 1… The Lady Raider softball team traveled to Anderson last night to take on the Yellow Jackets of TL Hanna… The game only went 5 innings as the Raiders took their most lopsided win of the year defeating Hanna 22-1… Laurens jumped out on top scoring 11 runs in the top of the 1st inning and the game was never in question after that… Laurens added 5 in the 2nd, 1 in the 4th and 5 more in the 5th inning… Allison Foreback picked up the win pitching only 2 innings… Elizabeth Carman and Logan Hill finished out the game for the Raiders… The Raiders got their 22 runs on 15 hits and 8 Hannah errors… Haley Smith, Elizabeth Carman & Maria Williamson each had 3 of the Raider hits… Williamson had a 2 run homer and a triple… The Lady Raiders are now 6-5 on the season and 2-3 in region action… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-3-21__LHSB-22_ Hanna-1
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV/V. Softball host Union 5:00/7:00
- JV/V Baseball at Union 5:00/7:00
- Soccer host Union 5:30
- Lacrosse host Greenville 6:00
- Saturday: JV Softball at Palmetto (Tour) TBA
- State Strength Meet At Crestwood TBA
- Girls & Boys soccer @ Westside 5:30 / 7:00
- Var. baseball host Westside 6:00
- JV & var. softball host Westside 5:30 / 7:30
- Sat.: Track in Coaches Classic @ Lower Richland H.S.
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game tonight when the Lady Raiders take on the Lady Rams of Westside in region action… Join me a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com. By the way, it’s Diner on the Diamond night this Friday as they will have BBQ ribs, baked beans, cole slaw, roll dessert & tea foe $10… Tickets are available from any softball player… Come out and enjoy a great meal as the Lady Raiders raise funds for their program.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.