Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-26-13
- Baseball: Union County 6 – CHS 5… The Clinton baseball team traveled to Union County last Friday night and Union picked up a run in the bottom of the 7th to take a 6-5 win in region action… Union got a run in the 1st inning and 3 in the 3rd to take a 4-0 lead… Clinton got on the board with 2 runs in the top of the 4th inning… Brandon Pitts led the inning off with a single and moved to 2nd when the next batter grounded out… Dalton Foster the singled scoring Pitts and he took 2nd on the throw… Kendall Pitts then singled scoring Foster… Clinton picked up their final 3 runs in the top of the 5th … Josh Simmons walked and Justin Foster sacrificed him to 2nd.. An error allowed Matt Craven to reach 2nd and Simmons to score… Colby Templeton later singled scoring Craven and he took 2nd on the throw…. An error by Union later allowed C. Templeton to score making it 5-4 Red Devils… Union came right back and tied the game in their half of the 5th inning with a single run to make it 5-5… Union County got the wining run with 2 out in the bottom of the 7th of a walk and a double… Justin Foster took the loss giving up the 6 runs (all earned) on 8 hits while striking out 3 and walking 5… The Red Devils only had 5 hits on the night by 5 different players… Clinton is now 4-7 overall and 2-2 in region play… They will be back in action Tuesday as they host Chapman… Click on the following for more statistics on the game: 2013-3-22__CHS-5__Union-6
- Softball: Union County 15 – CHS 1… Also last Friday the Lady Red Devil softball team hosted Union County and some defensive errors helped Union take a 15-1 win in 5 innings…. Clinton got its lone run in the 3rd inning when Jessica Wood drove in Allison Oxner… Clinton had 7 hits with Brittany Templeton, Cassie Nichols and Wood getting 2 each… Wood pitched the entire game and Coach Nickie Templeton said she pitched well but the errors were just too much to overcome.
- Baseball: LDHS 9 – Westside 0… The Laurens Raider baseball team hosted the Rams of Westside in region baseball action Friday night… The Raiders upped their record to 8-2 overall and 4-2 in region play with a 9-0 win over the Rams at Ed Prescott Field… The Raiders got 3 runs in the 1st inning when with 2 out Trey Finley singled and then reached 2nd on a wild pitch… Grayson Bailes walked and Christian Burton then picked up his 1st of 4 singles on the night driving in Finley and moving Bailes to third as he took 2nd on the throw…. A Ram error then allowed Bailes & Burton to score…. Laurens scored their final 6 runs in the bottom of the 6th inning… In the inning a walk, hit batter, Westside error and singles by Shannon Smith, Thomas Jones, Cody Smiley, T. Finley and 2 by C. Burton were the reasons behind the 6 runs… Tanner Adair got the complete game win as he scattered 4 hits while striking out 4 and walking 2…. Laurens will be back inaction Tuesday as they travel to Woodmont… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-3-22_LDHS-BB-9_West-0 Click on following for game scorecard:2013-3-22_LDHS-BB-9_West-0-scorecard
- Softball: LDHS 16 – Westside 3… The Lady Raider softball team completed a home sweep of the Westside Rams as they took a 16-3 win down at the softball field… The Raiders broke on top in the bottom of the 1st inning when Maria Williamson picked up her 4th homerun of the season with a 2 out, 2 run shot over the left-center field fence… The Raiders broke the game open in the 2nd inning as they scored 10 runs batting around almost twice… The Raiders were helped by a Ram error or two in the inning and got 7 hits in the inning… The Raiders finished their scoring in the 4th as they added 4 more runs…. Again a couple of ram errors and 2 key hits by the Raiders were the reason for the runs… The Rams scored all 3 of their runs in the top of the 5th inning… Maria Williamson had 4 of Laurens 12 hits going 4-4 on the night with the homer and a double…. Allison Foreback picked up the win pitching 3 innings and giving up only 4 hits while striking out 3 and walking 1… Logan Hill pitched the final 2 innings… The Lady Raiders are now 7-5 overall and 3-3 in region play…. They will host Woodmont Tuesday in JV / Varsity action with the varsity game to be broadcast here on Real Radio 860 WLBG starting about 7:30… Click on the following for game statistics:2013-3-22__LHSB-16_Westside-3
The 4th annual Raider Invitational will be played at Lakeside Country Club on Monday, March 25. Start time is 9:00AM. 9 Varsity and 9 Junior Varsity teams will compete. There are some heavy weights in the field with Pendleton, Emerald, and Wren Highlighting the tournament. Pendleton has to be the favorite with Clemson signees Carson Young and Austin Langdale. Emerald has a strong lineup with Coleman Self and Jimmy Self. Wren will be very good with Chandler Pearson and Sawyer Mills. TL Hanna, Greenwood, Clinton, Ninety Six, Westside and the host school Laurens will also compete. Bernie McShane of Hanna, Mason Piontek of Greenwood, Hunter Nichols of Clinton, and Ryan Wright and Justin Thomason should also compete for low medalist.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV Baseball at Emerald 6:00
- Golf at Laurens (Tour) Morning Tee-Time
- Track host Newberry 4:30
- JV baseball @ BHP 6:00
- Golf: raiders host Laurens Invitational @ Lakeside C.C.
- MS baseball host St. Joseph’s 5:00
- Softball @ St. Joseph’s 5:00
- Varsity baseball @ Anderson 6:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game this Tuesday, March 26th when the Lady Raiders take on the Lady Wildcats of Woodmont in region action… Join me a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.