Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-26-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The PC baseball team took 2 of 3 from Winthrop last weekend up in Rock Hill to run their season record to 15-10 and 5-1 in Big South Action… They lost 1-3 on Friday and took both games in a doubleheader on Saturday by scores of 4-3 in 10 innings and 9-3 in the 2nd game… The Blue Hose start a 3 game series with Furman in Greenville on Thursday at 6:00 pm… The 2nd game will be on Friday at PC with 1st pitch at 3:00.. The series finale will be Saturday in Greenville.
- JV Baseball: Union County 10 – CHS 4… Back on Friday the Union County JV baseball team defeated Clinton 10-4 handing the Red Devils their 1st loss of the season… Union had a 6 run 3rd inning that was the difference in the game.. The leading hitters for Clinton were Chandler Todd who went 3-4 and Delshun Young who went 2-3
- Soccer: Union County 4 – CHS 2… Also in action last Friday the Union County soccer team took a 4-2 win over Clinton… Madison Simpson and Rodolfo Orozco each had a goal for the Red Devils.. Union had 19 shots on goal to Clinton’s 9… Jose Gayton made 12 saves in goal… Clinton is now 1-6 overall and 0-2 in region play.
- Tennis: JL Mann 7 – Laurens 0… Last Thursday the Raider tennis team faced off against JL Mann and the Patriots took a 7-0 win over the Raiders.
- Boys Soccer: LDHS 4 – Westside 2… The Laurens Raiders boys’ soccer team was on the road last Friday traveling to Anderson to take on the Westside Rams… Good news in that the Raiders took a 4-2 win over the Rams… Four different Raiders had the goals… They were Hernan Salinas, Chris Molina, Henry Garcia and Esgar Diaz… The Raiders are now 3-4 overall and 2-3 in region action.
- Track 3-14-13… The girls and boys track teams hosted Hillcrest & Woodmont back on Thursday 3-14-13.. Good news for the boys team as they placed 1st in the meet with 65 points… Hillcrest had 60 and Woodmont 34… The news was not quite as good for the girls’ team as they finished 3rd just 5 points behind the winner Hillcrest… Hillcrest finished 1st with 51 points, Woodmont 2nd with 48 and Laurens 3rd with 46…. Click on the following to see a breakdown of results in each event: 2013-3-14_host-Hillcrest-Woodmont
- Track 3-19-13… On Tuesday the 19th the track teams traveled to Greenwood to take on the Eagles…. Laurens boys team again came out on top taking a 72 – 51 win over the Eagles…. Laurens took 1st place in 11 of 15 events run… Greenwood girls turned the table in girls action and took an 86-39 win over the Lady Raiders… Click on the following to see a breakdown of results in each event: 2013-3-19_at-Gwd
- Softball: L.A. 12 – Newberry 1… last Thursday the lady Crusaders took a resounding 12-1 win over Newberry… Carmen McGee took the win giving up only 4 hits… Kaitlyn Muir, Kayla Mitchell & Natalie Tumblin each had a multi-hit night.
- Seth Strickland… Congratulations are due to Seth Strickland former LDHS quarterback and Carolina Gamecock for being named as the offensive MVP in last Saturday’s inaugural S.C. College All-Star Bowl game up at North Greenville University… He was one of 3 quarterbacks playing for the Lowcountry team… He completed 11-15 passes for 93 yards… However, the Lowcountry team lost to the Upstate team won 23-10… Great way to finish out his college career and if I were a betting man, I would not be surprised to see him coaching on some high school football sideline in the future.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Track host Newberry 4:30 make-up of yesterday’s postponed event
- V/V Softball at Chapman 5:00/7:00
- Tennis host Chapman 4:30
- V. Baseball host Chapman 6:00
- Soccer at Chapman 5:30
- Lacrosse at Christ Church 7:30
- Golf at Greer 4:30
- Golf at Easley at Smithfield 4:00
- Tennis host Hillcrest @ Laurens City Park 4:30
- JV & Varsity baseball @ Woodmont 4:30 / 7:00
- Track host Union 5:00
- Girls & Boys soccer @ Woodmont 5:30 / 7:00
- JV & Varsity softball host Woodmont 5:30 / 7:30 varsity game can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- MS baseball @ Spartanburg Christian
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game this today when the Lady Raiders take on the Lady Wildcats of Woodmont in region action… Join me a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the field for varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.