Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-27-13
- Softball: Chapman 13 – CHS 1… The Lady Red Devil softball team traveled to Chapman last night and their defensive woes continue as they Chapman took a 13-1 win… Coach Templeton said that defensive errors were again the Red Devils biggest problem as they forced Jessica Wood to have to throw just too many pitches…. Brittany Templeton led the team with 2 hits and Wood had the Red Devils only RBI in the 2nd inning.
- Baseball: CHS 2 – Chapman 1… Better news for the baseball team as they defeated Chapman at home by a score of 2-1… Chapman jumped out first putting up their only run in the 2nd inning… Clinton tied the game in the 3rd inning when Matt Craven singled and later stole 2nd… Brandon Pitts then singled driving in Craven… Clinton got the go ahead run in the 5th inning B. Pitts singled with 1 out… Colby Templeton followed with single putting runners on 1st & 2nd base with 1 out… A wild pitch then allowed each runner to move up a base… Dalton Foster then grounded out but Pitts was able to score on the play making it 2-1… Austin Wooten gets the complete game win giving up only 4 hits while striking out 7 and walking 2… Brandon Pitts led the Red Devils at the plate going 2-3… For more statistics on the game, click on the following: 2013-3-26__CHS-2__Chapman-1
- Softball: LDHS 10 – Woodmont 6… In region softball action at LDHS last night, the Lady Raiders took a 10-6 win over the Lady Wildcats of Woodmont… Woodmont had a 2-0 lead going into the bottom of the 4th inning when Laurens tied the game with 2 runs of their own… Elizabeth Carmen walked and Maria Williamson followed with a single that was misplayed for an error by the Woodmont outfielder allowing Carmen to score and Williamson to go to 3rd… Williamson scored when Jordan Henderson singled… Woodmont jumped back on top with 4 runs in the top of the 5th inning…. The lady Raider bats came alive in the bottom of the 5th inning as they pounded out 8 runs on 9 hits to take the lead for good… Tara Bond started the inning off with a single and the next 7 Raiders all had hits… Woodmont then finally got an out before Bond had another hit in the inning… Logan Hill picked up the win as she came in to pitch in the top of the 5th inning relieving Allison Foreback… Foreback came back to mound in the top of the 6th and picked up a save…. Four different Raiders had 2 hits each… Click on the following for that information and more game statistics: 2013-3-26__LHSB-10_Woodmont 6 The Lady Raiders are now 8-5 overall and 4-3 in region play and will be in action Thursday night as they host the Greenwood Eagles in a JV – Varsity doubleheader.
- JV Softball: Woodmont 14 – LDHS 4
- Baseball: LDHS 5 – Woodmont 3…. Also the last night the raider baseball team took on the Woodmont Wildcats but the game was at Woodmont…. Good news as the Raiders come back to take a 5-3 win over the Wildcats… Woodmont jumped out to an early 2-0 lead where a couple of Raider errors were an aid to them… The Raiders jumped on top in the 4th inning when senior Shannon Smith had a grand slam homerun… Each team would add another run later in the game to make the final 5-3… Smith also picked up the win on the mound going 7 innings while giving up 3 runs (only 1 earned) on 5 hits while striking out 7 and walking only 1… At this time these are all the statistics I have on the game but if more become available I will post them up…. The Raiders are now 9-2 overall and 5-2 in region play… The Raiders will be at home on Thursday night as they take on cross-county rival Clinton…. The varsity game can be heard her on Real Radio 860 WLBG and streaming live on the internet at wlbg.com. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Tennis at Christ Church 4:30
- Winter Athletic Awards Ceremony 7:00 in the CHS Auditorium
- Boys tennis at Woodruff 4:30
- Varsity baseball host Union County 6:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game this Thursday when the Raiders take on the Red Devils of Clinton at Ed Prescott Field… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from the field the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.