Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-28-13
- Boys Tennis: CHS 7 – Chapman 0… On Tuesday the Clinton tennis team hosted the Chapman Panthers and the Red Devils took a 7-0 win in region play… Austin MacMillan, Alec Powell, Jay Peay, Isaac MacMillan & Robert Powell all had wins in singles action… A. MacMillan & Powell teamed up to take a win in doubles action while Jacob Tiller and Joe Scarborough teamed up to take the other doubles win… Click on the following for more match details:2013-3-26__CHS-7_Chapman-0
- Boys Tennis: CCES 7 – Clinton 0… Then yesterday Red Devil tennis team traveled to Christ Church yesterday to take on a perennially strong Cavalier team and unfortunately the tables were turned as the score was just the opposite from Tuesday as Christ Church took a 7-0 win handing the Clinton only its 2nd loss of the season both out of region play… Click on following for match details: 2013-3-27__CHS-0_CCES-7
- Soccer: Chapman 6 – CHS 0… Back on Tuesday the Red Devil soccer team traveled to Inman to take on Chapman and the ride home most likely felt a little longer than the ride up because Chapman took a 6-0 win over Clinton… Chapman’s offense 22 shots on goal while their defense held Clinton to just 1… Jerry Reaves and Jose Gayton combined for 11 saves in goal… Clinton’s record is now 1-7 overall and 0-3 in region play.
- Golf 3-26-13… Also back on Tuesday the Red Devil golf team travelled to Greer for a 3-way match with Greer & Berea… When the last putt rolled in the cup, Clinton had defeated both other teams shooting a 182.. Greer finished 2nd just 3 shots behind with a 185 and Berea 3rd with a 199… Eddie Bagwell of Berea was match medalist shooting a 39… Nate Moody led Clinton with a 41… Zach Davis shot a 45 and both Michael Mann & Harrison Fisher both shot 48.
- Golf: Laurens Raider Invitational… Despite the high winds back on Monday, the Laurens Raider Golf Invitational went on at Lakeside C.C…. Nine varsity and nine JV teams participated.. TL Hannah won the varsity portion with a low score of 323… Easley won the JV portion with a 342… Justin Thomason of Laurens and Hunter Nichols of Clinton both made the all-tournament team… For complete match details, click on the following: 2013-3-25_Laurens-Raider-Invitational
- Golf 3-26-13… On Tuesday the Raider golf team traveled to Smithfield C.C. to participate in a 4 team match… Easley took the win shooting a 163 with the Raiders finishing 2nd with a 177… Woodmont was 3rd with a 179 and Westside 4th shooting 197… Laurens’ Ryan Wright was match medalist shooting a 40… Laurens & Easley JV teams also played each other and Easley took the win 162-209… Click on the following to find out the scores for other Raider team members: 2013-3-26_Golf-at-Smithfield
- Track host Union County… Back on Tuesday the track teams hosted Union County… In girls’ event, the Union came out on top by a score of 68-56… The Lady Raiders did manage to take 1st place in 7 events…. Better news in boys events as the Raiders took a 79-55 win… In these events, the boys captured 1st place 11 times… Click on the following for match details and results: 2013-3-26_host-Union
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV/V Softball host Broome 5:00/7:00
- Lacrosse at Chapin 6:30
- JV/V Baseball at Laurens 4:30/7:00
- Tennis at Broome 4:30
- Boys golf host JL Mann & Woodmont @ Lakeside C.C. 4:00
- Boys tennis host Woodmont 4:30
- Girls & boys soccer host Greenwood 5:30 / 7:00
- JV & varsity softball host Greenwood 5:30 / 7:00
- JV & Varsity baseball host Clinton 4:30 / 7:00
- Baseball host Wardlaw 5:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game today when the Raiders take on the Red Devils of Clinton… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from the field for the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.