Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-29-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose baseball team took the 1st game in a 3 games series with Furman yesterday by a score of 10-8… The series shifts back to Clinton today for a 3:00pm start… Saturday the 3rd game of the series will take place in Greenville with a 4:00 pm 1st pitch… By the way, go to www.GoBluhose.com and look for the recap on yesterday’s game and you will see former Laurens Academy Crusader Brandon Martin in a key photo.
- Softball: Clinton 6 – Broome 5… The Lady Red Devils hosted the Lady Centurions of Broome last night and good news as the Red Devils picked up their 2nd win of the season defeating Broome 6-5… Clinton lead 5-0 going into the 3rd inning and Broome score enough runs to tie the game in the 5th inning… Brittany Templeton had a walk-off single in the bottom of the 7th inning scoring Kayleigh Pitts from 3rd for the win… Coach Nickie Templeton was glad to pick up the win noting that Jessica Wood had a great performance on the mound… She also noted the fact that Clinton left bases loaded 4 different times without scoring a run… The team record is now 2-11 / 1-4 and will be off next week returning to play Tuesday, April 9th when they travel to Chester.
LDHS – CHS
- Baseball: Laurens 16 – Clinton 6… Round 2 of the Clinton – Laurens baseball series took place last night at Laurens and the Raiders made a sweep of this series as they defeated Clinton 16-6 in 5 innings… Laurens got 3 runs in the 2nd inning the first a solo homer by Shannon Smith… After an out, a walk to Hammer Walker and a single by Trae Coleman coupled with a Clinton error allowed Walker to score and Coleman to move on to 3rd… The next Raider reached on an error and then a fielder’s choice by Di’markus Sanders scored Coleman… The Raiders threatened to blow the game open in the 3rd inning as they scored 5 runs on 2 hits, aided by 2 hit batters 3 walks and a Clinton error… Clinton did not go quietly as they came back and scored 5 runs in the top of the 4th inning… a single, double and walk loaded the bases for Landon Allison who unloaded them as he put a 2-1 pitch over the right field fence for a grand slam… Clinton added 1 more run before the inning was over to make the score 8-5 Laurens… Laurens answered with 4 runs of their own in the 4th inning off of a hit, 2 walks and 3 wild pitches… Clinton put a single run on the board in the top of the 5th inning Colby Templeton walked and moved t 2nd when Dalton Foster was hit by a pitch… Another walk loaded the bases and Templeton scored Kendal Pitts grounded out brining him in… This made the score 12-6 Raiders… The Raiders closed out the scoring in the bottom of the 5th putting 4 runs on the board causing the game to be called due to the 10 run rule.. D. Sanders, Cody Smiley, Christian Burton, Shannon Smith, Hammer Walker and Trae Coleman all had hits in the decisive 5th inning.. Kevin Dean picked up the win for Laurens and matt Craven took the loss for Clinton… For more complete stats on the game click the following: 2013-3-28_LDHS-BB-16_Clinton-6 For a scorecard of the game, click on the following: 2013-3-28_LDHS-BB-16_Clinton-6_scorecard
- JV baseball: Laurens 8 – Clinton 1… No details available.
- Softball: Laurens 2 – Greenwood 1… In a key region game at Laurens last night, the Lady Raider softball team avenged an early season 1-0 loss to the Lady Eagles of Greenwood by defeating them 2-1… Laurens got all their runs in the bottom of the 1st inning Baylee Bragg and Tara Bond had back-to-back singles with 1 out… Elizabeth Carman then doubled scoring Bragg & Bond… The Raiders would only get 2 more hits on the night but that was not a problem as Allison Foreback had things well in hand picking up the complete game win allowing only 2 hits while striking out 5 and walking 1… Greenwood’s only run came in the top of the 7th inning when a Greenwood batter doubled then moved to 3rd on a passed ball and then scored when the Lady Raiders had their only error of the nigh putting the only blemish on a good defensive effort by the team… The Lady Raiders are off until late next week when they will participate in a tournament over the spring break…. Click on the following for more complete game stats: 2013-3-28__LHSB-2_Gwd-1
- JV Softball: Laurens 12 – Greenwood 4 … no details available
Local Sports Schedule:
- V Baseball at Broome 6:00 This game can be heard live on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC
- Soccer at Broome 6:00
- Saturday: C-Baseball host Dutch Fork (DH) Noon
- JV baseball host Greenwood 4:30
- Varsity baseball host Greenwood 7:00 This game can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- Baseball host Newberry 5:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game tonight when the Raiders take on Greenwood… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from the field the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- The Laurens YMCA will hold its 9th Annual Golf Tournament March 28, 2013 at lakeside Country Club.. This is one of the major fund raising events for the Y Scholarship Program. Last year alone the Y awarded just under $132,00 in scholarship.. This event is what helps to make this happen… For complete details see the posting in the Between the Lines section of Sports at wlbg.com or call the Y at 864-984-2626.
- Laurens YMCA Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic: The Laurens Y will be conducting the Carolinas Metro Youth Baseball Clinic Saturday March 30th, 2013 at Collyar Park. It will be a fun clinic that stresses the skills needed to make you the best player you can be.. One of the instructors will be Morris Madden of Laurens. For more information about the time, cost or other information, call the Laurens Y at 984-2626 or see the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com.
- The City of Laurens Parks & Recreation announces the registration period for the Intermediate Baseball League. The league is for ages 11-13. Players may not turn 14 before May 1st. Cost is $50 and includes a hat and Jersey. The league is structured more like High School ball, being played on a 50′/70′ dimension. Players can use big barrel bats and get lead offs on base. Registrations will end on March 30th with teams organizing after Spring Break. For more information on the league or to register please visit the Little River Park daily from 1-6 or Saturdays from 10-6. You can also call 681-7275 for information.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.