Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-2-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose baseball team had a good weekend as they took 2 of 3 from Furman… They won Thursday’s game 10-8 but lost Fridays at home 3-8… PC took the rubber game of the series on Saturday in Greenville 6-2… PC’s record now stands at 18-11 overall… The Blue Hose host USC-Upstate today at 3:00 pm.
- Baseball: Pendleton 2 – Clinton 0… The Clinton baseball team opened play in the Carolina Classic Spring Break Tournament over at Pendleton H.S. last night as they took on the host Pendleton Bulldogs… Clinton just could not get the offense in gear as Pendleton took a 2-0 win… Pendleton got 1 run in the 1st inning and a Clinton error had a large part to do with that… Pendleton’s other run came in the 3rd inning and 2 singles and a wild pitch were the main contributors to the run scoring… Clinton did threaten in the 4th inning having runners on the corners with 2 outs but just could not get the key hit… Both teams had 4 hits each on the night… Bradley Templeton had 2 of the Red Devils 4 hits… Templeton took the loss giving up the 2 runs (only 1 of which was earned) on 4 hits while striking out 3 and walking 2… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-4-1__CHS-0__Pendleton-2 Clinton will take on Emerald at 4:00pm today in their 2nd game of the tournament.
- Soccer: Broome 10 – CHS 1… Last Friday the CHS soccer team traveled to Broome and the Centurions took a 10-1 over the Red Devils… Madison Simpson had Clinton’s only goal… The Red Devil offense managed 4 shots on goal to Broome’s 19… Seth Anderson and Jose Gayton combined for 5 saves in goal for Clinton… Clinton is now 1-8 overall and 0-4 in region play.
- Baseball: Laurens 12 – Wade Hampton 2…. Yesterday the Laurens Raider baseball team got off to a good start in the Carolina Classic at Eastside as they defeated the Generals of Wade Hampton 12-2 in 6 innings… Laurens scored 2 runs in each of the first two innings and a single run in the 3rd to go up 5-0… The Raiders added 4 more in the 4th to take a 9-0 lead… The Generals got o the board in the top of the 5th with their only two runs of the evening… Laurens won the game in the bottom of the 6th inning scoring 3 runs with the winning hit coming on a 2 run double by Thomas Jones driving in Hammer Walker and Shannon Smith… Shannon Smith picked up the complete game win giving up the 2 earned runs on 3 hits while striking out 4 and walking 4… Leading hitters for the Raiders were: Di’Markus Sanders 2-3 with 3 runs scored, Thomas Jones 2-3 with a double and 3 RBIs, Shannon Smith 2-4 with a double and 2 runs scored, Cody Smiley went 1-3 with 3 RBIs and Trae Coleman 1-3 with 2 RBIs… The Raiders are back in action this afternoon as they take on Eastside at 4:00pm. .. Sorry no other stats available at this time.
- Boys Tennis: Woodruff 5 – Laurens 2… Last Wednesday the Raider tennis team traveled to Woodruff to take on the Wolverines.. Laurens was able to pick up a couple of wins in singles action but still fell by a score of 5-2… Jacob Freeze and Thomas Hughes were able to pick up singles victories. Click here for more match details: 2013-03-27_LDHS-2_Woodruff-5
- Boys Tennis: Laurens 6 – Woodmont 1… Better news last Thursday when the boys’ tennis team hosted the Wildcats of Woodmont and the Raiders came away with a 6-1 region win… Chris Mather, James Tinsley, Jacob Freeze and Thomas Hughes all had victories in singles action… Tinsley and Collin John teamed up to take a victory in doubles action while Hunter Holtzclaw and Evan Osborne did likewise…. Click here for more match details: 2013-03-28_LDHS-6 – Woodmont-1
Braves: The Braves won the opening game of the season as they took a 7-5 win over Philadelphia in Atlanta… Freddie Freeman, Dan Uggla and Justin Upton all had homers for the Braves… The Braves are off tonight and will take on the Phillies again tomorrow night.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Boys golf at Pendleton Tournament today - Boscobel C.C
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game Tuesday, April 9th when the Lady Raiders take on the TL Hannah… Join me a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the field the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.