Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-3-2013
- Baseball: Emerald 9 – Clinton 6… The Clinton baseball team continued play in the Carolina Classic Spring Break Tournament over in Pendleton yesterday afternoon taking on the Emerald Vikings… The Red Devil bats were more alive than the night before putting 6 runs on the board the only problem is that the Vikings put up 9 to take a 9-6 win… Emerald jumped on top in the 1st inning as they put 2 on the board… Clinton responded with a single run in the bottom of the 1st … Matt Craven and Brandon Pitts both walked and Landon Allison was hit by a pitch to load the bases with no outs.. Dalton Foster then had a sacrifice fly to score Craven… Unfortunately the other 2 runners were left stranded… Clinton got 2 runs in the bottom of the 4th to go ahead 3-2 when Colby Templeton led off with a double and 2 batters later scored when Hunter Stewart also doubled… Josh Simmons then singled but was caught trying to steal 2nd… However, during the play Stewart scored… Emerald retook the lead scoring 4 runs in the top of the 5th to make it 6-3… Clinton got 2 of the runs back in their half of the 5th as Craven led off drawing a walk and later scored when D. Foster doubled… His courtesy runner Charles McKinney later scored on a Viking error… In the top of the 6th inning, Emerald got those 2 runs back plus 1 more to make it 9-5… The Red Devils picked up their final run in the bottom of the 6th inning when H. Stewart led off with a homer… For more statistics on the game click on the following link: 2013-4-2__CHS-6__Emerald-9 The Red Devils will take on Westside @ Pendleton tonight at 6:30.
- Baseball: Laurens 9 – Eastside 4… The Laurens Raiders continued play yesterday afternoon in the Carolina Classic at Eastside and they defeated the host team 9-4… Laurens struck first in the top of the 1st when Di’Markus Sanders singled and Christian Burton reached on an error… Cody Smiley then doubled driving them in… Laurens added another run in the 3rd when Thomas Jones singled and Trey Finley drove him in with a triple… Laurens added 4 more in the 4th inning all after 2 were out.. D. Sanders singled, C. Burton walked and C. Smiley brought in Sanders with a single…Shannon Smith then tripled to bring in Burton & Smiley… Smith scored when T. Jones singled… Eastside got a single run in the bottom of the 4th and 3 in the 5th to make it 7-4… The Raiders closed out their scoring in the 6th inning when C. Burton again walked and C. Smiley then put a 2-1 pitch over the left-center field fence for a 2 run homer… Trey Finley picked up the win pitching 5 innings and Tanner Adair closed out the game… Laurens is now 13-3 on the season and will face First Academy a team out of Florida today at noon… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-4-2_LDHS-BB-9_Eastside-4
- Boys Golf: 2-28-13… Last Thursday the boys’ golf team hosted JL Mann and Woodmont at Lakeside C.C… JL Mann won the match shooting a 157 while Laurens took 2nd with a 163 and Woodmont 3rd with a 174… Ryan Wright & Justin Thomason had the lowest score for the Raiders as they both shot a 36… Erick Dominick had a 45, Jonathan Finley & Nick Brown 46 and Bailey Dunlap 47… The Raiders are now 4-7 overall and 4-6 in region play.
- Boys Golf: Bulldog Invitational… The last 2 days the Raider golf team has been participating in the Bulldog Invitational… I know they finished 8th overall and Ryan Wright tied for 4th and made the all tournament team… If I get more details I’ll post them up.
Braves: The Braves were off last night… They will continue their series with the Phillies tonight at the Ted.
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game Tuesday, April 9th when the Lady Raiders take on the TL Hannah… Join me a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the field the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens Little League announces that Saturday, April 6 will be the final day to register for the Intermediate League Baseball for ages 11-13. The newly developed league is designed like travel baseball where players can use big barrel bats, get leads on bases and other high school type rules. Players who reside in Laurens County are eligible. Players who turn 14 before May 1 are not eligible for the league. The league will be played on the upper field at City Park and will begin within a couple of weeks. The cost is $50 and includes a hat and jersey. 11 year old players must try out for the league and show that a certain skill level is there before being placed with the older players. For more information please call 681-7275 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.