Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-4-13
- Baseball: Clinton 11 – Westside 3 … The Clinton Red Devils got back on the winning path last night as they took an 11-3 win over the Rams of Westside in the Carolina Classic Spring Break tournament over in Pendleton… Clinton got on the board first putting 4 runs on the board in the bottom of the 2nd inning… Dalton Foster & Hunter steward started the inning off with singles followed by Bradley Templeton drawing a walk to load the bases… When Trey Childress also drew a walk it scored D. Foster… Josh Simmons then flied out but deep enough to score Stewart… Justin Foster then singled and Templeton came home… Austin Wooten then singled scoring Childress… Westside picked up their runs in the top of the 3rd making it 4-3… Clinton added 2 runs in the 4th … Singles by J. Foster, Landon Allison and a walk to M. Craven set the stage for D. Foster to drive in 2 runs on a double… The Red Devils added 4 more runs in the 5th inning… Clinton received 4 walks in the inning and key hits by Colby Templeton, B. Pitts and L. Allison led to the runs… Clinton picked up its final run in the 6th inning… B. Pitts walked, Charles McKinney doubled and then L. Allison singled driving in Pitts… Click on following for game statistics: 2013-4-3__CHS-11__Westside-3
- Soccer: Brookland-Cayce 9 – Clinton 1… The Red Devil soccer team started play in the Nike Palmetto Cup hosted by Brookland-Cayce H.S. Their opening round opponent was the host school Brookland –Cayce Bearcats… The Bearcats entered the match with a single loss and left the match the same way as they defeated Clinton 9-1… Madison Simpson had the lone goal for the Red Devils… The Red Devils are scheduled to be back in action today at 10:00am as they take on Fort Mill at B.C.H.S.
- Baseball: First Academy (Florida) 4 – Laurens 0… The Laurens Raiders lost to First Academy (Florida) 4-0. Last night… Cody Smiley pitched 5 1/3 innings allowing 5 hits and 2 earned runs in his first start of the year… The Raiders struggled offensively against the starter for the Royals whose pitcher is committed to the University of Virginia… Laurens will play Blue Ridge at 1:30 Thursday in the 3rd place game of the Carolina Classic at Eastside. (Weather permitting)… Laurens is now 12-4 on the season.
- Golf: Bulldog Invitational… I have a correction and update on the Laurens Raider golf team’s participation in the Bulldog Invitational on Monday & Tuesday… Yesterday I reported that they finished 8th in the tournament but my information was incorrect and they actually finished 7th… I know have the complete tournament results and you can see them by clicking on the following: 2013-4-1-2_Bulldog_Inv
- Little River Bridge Run… Sorry I’m a little late getting this to you but the old saying goes better late than never… I have had a couple of folks ask me about complete results from the 10th annual Little River Bridge run a couple of Saturday’s ago… There were over 70 contestants of various ages competing in the 5K or 8K walk / run…. Now if you want to find out how everyone finished, click on the following link: 2013 LRBR Results If you were in it, you can compare how you did to others.
- Braves 9 – Phillies 2… The Braves had homeruns by Justin Upton, Evan Gattis and Jason Heyward… Paul Maholm picked up the win… The Braves are now 2-0 on the young season and will finish their 3 game series with the Phillies tonight at 7:10 at the Ted.
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game Tuesday, April 9th when the Lady Raiders take on the TL Hannah… Join me a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the field the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.