Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-5-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics…. Last Tuesday the PC baseball team hosted the USC Upstate Spartans and PC had a 7-5 lead going into the 8th inning but the Spartans put 8 runs on the board in the 8th to take a 13-7 win… PC will host Campbell in a 3 game weekend series starting today at 3:00… The Camels are one of the better teams in the Big South sporting a 25-5 / 6-3 record while the Blue Hose are 18-12 / 5-1… Should be an interesting series.
Local sports: Most all local sports were cancelled yesterday due to the weather
- Winter Sports Awards: last week CHS had its Winter Sports Award Ceremony… In boys’ basketball, Kenyon Brown was named the MVP and for the girls basketball it was Gabby Bates…. There were other awards handed out and to see those click on the following: Winter Sports Ceremony
- Soccer: Weather permitting, the boys’ soccer team is scheduled to be in action today at Brookland-Cayce H.S. in the Nike Palmetto Cup… They are scheduled to take on Fort Mill this morning at 10:00 and Westwood at 5:00 this afternoon.
- Softball: The Lady Raider softball team is scheduled to be in action in the Aiken Triple Crown Tournament today & tomorrow in Aiken, SC… Their 1st opponent is Spring Valley this afternoon at 5:00 and then Midland Valley tonight at 8:30… They then will return to action tomorrow morning at 10:45 against Daniel H.S… There will be more games after that tomorrow against opponents and at times to be announced.
- JV baseball: The Raider JV baseball team will be playing tomorrow at 10:00am and their opponent will be JL Mann… Then at 4:00 they will take on the Emerald Vikings… All the action is at Ed Prescott Field.
- Men’s Basketball: Well the final 4 in men’s basketball go at it tomorrow #9 seed Wichita State and #1 seed Louisville will meet in one semi-final about 6:10 and #4 seed Michigan and #4 seed Syracuse meet in the other about 8:50…. Don’t know about you folks, but my brackets were toast after the first weekend
- Phillies 2 – Braves 0… The Braves dropped their first game of the season to the Philadelphia Phillies last night down in Atlanta by a score of 2-0… After generating plenty of offense in the 1st 2 games, the Braves managed only 2 hits last night… The Braves start a 3 game series with the Chicago Cubs tonight in Atlanta.
- Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive’s opening night fell victim to the weather last night and they will attempt to open their season tonight at Flour Field against the Charleston Riverdogs… The Riverdogs are in for a weekend series.
- The Nationwide Series takes a break this weekend but the Sprint Cup gang is up in Martinsville to do some fighting – I mean racing.
- WLBG: Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game Tuesday, April 9th when the Lady Raiders take on the TL Hannah… Join me a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the field the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
- WPCC: The South Carolina baseball team will be on the road this weekend as they travel to Knoxville to take on the Volunteers of Tennessee… Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you all the action starting at 5:45 today, 12:15 tomorrow and 1:45 on Sunday..
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.