Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-8-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Monday and it’s brought to you by the City of Laurens…This coming Saturday the City of Laurens is having a Cornhole Tournament and Music Celebration….All Proceeds benefit the Relay for Life Campaign in Honor of Bootsie Cox… The Cornhole Tournament begins at 11am and there is a $20 entry fee if you pre-register or $25 day of event… All ages welcome for the Cornhole tournament… Hot Dogs and Hamburgers will be available for sale…Music will begin at 5pm and is free to the public….All tournament participants can pre-register at the Laurens Mill Street and Main Street Fire stations… For more information please email LaurensPRD@yahoo.com or Bhughes@cityoflaurenssc.com.
- Soccer: Nike Palmetto Cup in Cayce … Clinton played 2 games last Friday in the Nike Palmetto Cup in Cayce…
- Fort Mill 8 – Clinton 0… In the first game, a strong Fort Mill team took an 8-0 win over Clinton… Fort Mill had 19 shots on goal while there defense held Clinton to none… Jose Gayton managed to make 9 saves in goal.
- Clinton 6 – Westwood 3… Better news in their second match of the day as the Clinton took a 6-3 win over Westwood… Madison Simpson led the Red Devils offense scoring 3 goals… Nolan Boozer added 2 and Joseph Rodriguez had 1… Westwood outshot Clinton 16-14 but Jose Gayton was able to save 9 of Westwood’s shots in goal… The Red Devils are now 2-10 on the season.
- Softball: Aiken Triple Crown… The Lady Raider softball team was in action Friday and Saturday as they participated in the Aiken Triple Crown Tournament in Aiken, SC… Not a bad weekend as the Lady Raiders took 3 of 5 games played… They went 1-2 in pool play and then defeated Gilbert & Easley to win the Silver Division… Maria Williamson, Elizabeth Carman and Michaela Smith all had homers during the tournament…
- Spring Valley 9 – Laurens 1… In the first game on Friday, the Lady Vikings of Spring Valley took a 9-1 win over Laurens in 6 innings… Spring Valley got 4 in the 1st inning and 1 in the 4th before Laurens got its only run in the bottom of the 4th of a solo homer by Maria Williamson… S.V. added 3 in the 5th and 1 in the 6th to make the final 9-1… Logan Hill took the loss for the Raiders…. Click on the following for game statistics: 2013-4-5_LHSB-1_Spr-Val-9
- Laurens 3 – Midland Valley 2… In their second game Friday night, the Lady Raiders bounced back and held on to take a 3-2 win over the Lady Mustangs of Midland Valley… Laurens struck first getting 2 runs in the bottom of the 1st inning on a single by Chaos Smith, a double by Elizabeth Carman, a single by Maria Williamson and an error by M.V…. The Raiders got their last run in the 3rd when M. Williamson again singled and Jordan Henderson followed with a single which M.V. misplayed allowing Williamson to score… M.V. got their 2 runs in the top of the 4th and the Raiders hung on with Allison Foreback getting the win on the mound… Click on the following for game stats: 2013-4-5_LHSB-3_Mid-Val-2
- Daniel 15 – Laurens 0… The Lady Raiders were back in action Saturday morning as they took on the Lady Lions of Daniel and Daniel took a 15-0 win in 3 innings… The Lions scored 9 runs in the 1st inning off 4 walks, 4 batters hit by pitches, 2 hits and a wild pitch… After that, the Raiders were just not able to come back as they managed only 2 hits to Daniel’s 5… Click on the following for game stats: 2013-4-6_LHSB-0_Daniel-15
- Laurens 4 – Gilbert 3… A few hours later, Laurens was back on the field taking on the Lady Indians of Gilbert and they rebounded to take a 4-3 win… Gilbert got a single run in the top of the 2nd but Laurens responded with 2 runs in the bottom of the 2nd to take a 2-1 lead… Maria Williamson led off with a double then Michaela Smith homered over the centerfield fence…. The Raiders added another run in the 3rd when Tara Bond led off with a single, moved to third when Elizabeth Carman singled and scored when Maria Williamson reached on an error… Gilbert tied the game 3 all with 2 runs in the 5th inning but Laurens came back scoring the winning run in their half of the 5th inning… Baylee Bragg led off with a single and was then sacrificed to 2nd by Elizabeth Carman… She scored from there when Maria Williamson singled… Allison Foreback shut down the Indians the rest of the way to take the win on the mound… Click on the following for game stats: 2013-4-6_LHSB-4_Gilbert-3
- Laurens 12 – Easley 4… In their final game in the Aiken Tournament on Saturday the Lady Raiders took a 12-4 win over region foe Easley… Laurens struck first in the top of the 1st inning when Baylee Bragg singled and Elizabeth Carman doubled to put runners on 2nd & 3rd.. Maria Williamson then had a sacrifice fly allowing Bragg to score… Jordan Henderson then singled brining in Carman to make it 2-0 Raiders… Laurens added 2 more in the 2nd when Annsley Nelson led off with a single and moved to 2nd on a sacrifice by Chaos Smith… Tara Bond reached on an error and Nelson moved to 3rd… When Baylee Bragg also reached on an error Nelson scored and Bond went to 2nd… Two batters later, Bond scored when Maria Williamson singled making it 4-0 Raiders… Easley got 3 runs in the bottom of the 3rd to make it 4-3… Laurens then erupted for 7 runs in the top of the 4th inning… Easley committed 3 errors to start the inning then E. Carman doubled, M. Williamson doubled, J. Henderson singled, Michaela Smith doubled and another error by Easley all of which resulted in the 7 runs putting Laurens up 11-3… Easley did get 1 of the runs back in their half of the 4th inning… Laurens last run came in the top of the 5th inning when E. Carman homered to center field… Foreback got the win pitching 4 of the 5 innings played with Logan Hill pitching 1 inning in relief… Click on the following for game stats: 2013-4-6_LHSB-12_Easley-4
- Lady Raiders Record: 12-7 overall and 5-3 in region play… They will be back in action on Tuesday in their next-to-last home game as they TL Hannah in a JV / Varsity doubleheader.
- Div. I Men’s Basketball….Couple of good games Saturday in the final 4 but now only 2 teams remain: #1 Louisville and #4 Michigan… The National Championship game is tonight with tipoff at 9:25.
- Div. I Women’s Basketball…. Yesterday the women’s semifinal games were held in New Orleans and #5 Louisville and #1 Connecticut advanced to the finals tomorrow night at 8:30.
Braves: The Braves hosted the Cubs over the weekend at Turner Field.
- Atlanta 4 – Chicago 1… On Friday night the Braves took a 4-1 win in the 1st game of the 3 game series… Justin Upton had his 3rd homerun of the season as Mike Minor picked up the win.
- Atlanta 6 – Chicago 5… Atlanta trailed 5-1 going into the 8th inning when they picked up 3 to make it 5-4… In the 9th inning BJ Upton had a solo shot to tie the game then his brother Justin Upton hit his 2nd homerun of the game to give the Braves a walk-off 6-5 win… I believe that is the first time in MLB history that brothers have teamed up to get to homeruns to win a game in the 9th… Looks like Justin was a great pickup in the offseason as he now has 6 homeruns in 5 games.
- Atlanta 5 – Chicago 1… The Braves completed the sweep of the Cubs yesterday with a 5-1 win giving Atlanta a 5-1 record on the year… Dan Uggla had his 2nd homerun of the year and Tim Hudson got the win… The Braves start a 3 game series with the Marlins tonight in Florida.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Golf at Chester
- Golf at Hurricane Invitational @ Southern Oaks in Easley
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game tomorrow when the Lady Raiders take on the TL Hannah… Join me a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the field the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.