Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-9-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The PC baseball team had a rough weekend as they dropped 3 games to Campbell at home… Campbell is a tough team that has only lost 5 games all year… PC will be on the road tomorrow as they travel to Clemson to take on the Tigers in a 6:30pm game… PC always seems to play the “big boys” tough and I expect the same tomorrow.
- Softball: Chester 8 – Clinton 5… The Lady Red Devils hosted the Lady Cyclones of Chester in region softball action last night… Errors and missed opportunities proved to be the Red Devils undoing as Chester took and 8-5 win… Chester scored 1 run in the 1st inning and 3 in the 3rd inning to take a 4-0 lead… all 4 runs were unearned… Clinton had runners on 1st & 2nd base in the 3rd inning with no outs but could not score… Clinton did put 3 runs on the board in the 4th inning… Cassie Nichols led off with a walk, Jessica Wood singled and Kylie Griffin walked to load the bases… After the next batter struck out, Tori Merrill doubled clearing the bases… Clinton managed to reload the bases with 2 outs but could not get the key hit… Chester got one of those runs back in the 5th inning to make it 5-3 Chester… Clinton got that run back in their half of the 5th inning when J. Wood again singled and was later driven in by Kayleigh Pitts drawing a walk with the bases loaded walk with 2 outs… Unfortunately, Clinton could get no more and left 3 runners stranded… Chester added another run in the 6th to make it 6-4… Clinton picked up their last run in the bottom of the 6th when Allison Oxner led the inning off walking and later scoring on a Chester error… The Lady Cyclones got 2 insurance runs in the top of the 7th and Clinton left a base runner stranded in their half of the 7th… Jessica Wood and Tori Merrill both went 2-3 the lead the Red Devil offense… Jessica Wood took the loss but pitched well enough to win… Only 4 of Chester’s 8 runs were earned and she gave up 11 hits but struck out 6 while walking none… Click on the following for game stats: 2013-4-8_CHSB-5_Chester-8
- JV Baseball: Clinton 7 – Emerald 1… Also last night, the Clinton JV baseball team traveled to Greenwood and defeated Emerald 7-1. Davis Cunningham threw 6 solid shutout innings for the win. Brayden Gibbs pitched the 7th to finish the game… Leading hitter was Chandler Todd 2-4. Austin Foster, MyKing Price and Delshun Young also added singles… Coach Michael Turner stated “The guys played solid defense and we did a good job of putting the ball in play tonight and good things happened for us as a result…. The JV record is now 7-2
- NCAA Basketball Championship…Well if you were in a cave or last night or unconscious, Louisville defeated Michigan 82-76… Louisville was down by 1 at the half but quickly got in back in the lead at the start of the 2nd half… The 2 teams traded baskets and the lead the next few minutes but with 13:50 left in the game they took a 48-47 lead and never trailed again… Louisville finished the season 35-5.
- Div. I Women’s Basketball… Sunday the women’s semifinal games were held in New Orleans and #5 Louisville and #1 Connecticut advanced to the finals tonight at 8:30… Can the women’s team do what the men’s did?
- NCAA Baseball Poll: The latest Baseball America Poll still has North Carolina as #1 followed by Vanderbilt, LSU, Cal State Fullerton and Virginia rounding out the top 5… The next 5 are Oregon State, Florida State, Louisville, Oklahoma and Arkansas… South Carolina checks in at #11 and Clemson makes the top 25 at #22.
Braves: Braves 2 – Marlins 0… The Braves took a 2-0 win over the Marlins last night down in Florida…. Justin Upton went 4 -4 to lead the Braves.. He hit his 6th homerun of the year in the 6th inning… Paul Maholm pitched 7 inning and got the win… The Braves are now 6-1 on the season… The Braves and the Marlins continue their series tonight in Florida
Drive: Hickory 5 – Greenville 4… The Drive are now 2-3 on the season… They continue their series with the Crawdads tonight in Hickory.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV/V Softball at Chester 5:00/7:00
- JV/V. Baseball host Chester 5:00/7:00
- Soccer host Chester 5:30
- Golf at Mid-Carolina 4:30
- Golf at Hurricane Invitational @ Southern Oaks in Easley
- Boys Tennis @ Easley 4:30
- Track @ Westside 5:00
- Girls & Boys soccer @ Greenwood 5:30 / 7:00
- Varsity baseball @ TL Hanna 6:00
- JV & Varsity softball host TL Hanna 5:30 / 7:30
- Softball @ Shannon Forest 4:30
- Middle School baseball @ Christ Church 5:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a softball game Tuesday, April 9th when the Lady Raiders take on the TL Hannah… Join me a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the field the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.