Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-10-2013
- Baseball: Chester 16 – Clinton 0… Clinton hosted Chester in region 3-AAA baseball action last night and the score was 4-0 Chester going into the top of the 7th inning… Unfortunately Clinton suffered through one of those innings that happens every now and then as Chester put 12 runs on the board in the 7th to take a 16-0 win… Colby Templeton had 2 of the Red Devils 4 hits with Brandon Pitts and Dalton Foster getting 1 each.
- JV Baseball: Clinton 11 – Chester 0… Better news for the JV team as they defeated Chester 11-0 in 5 innings… Tristan Smaltz was the winning pitcher (2-hit shutout, 5 K’s). Leading hitters: Tyler Kelly, Chandler Todd, Brayden Gibbs, and Braeden Webb who were all 2-3. Coach Mike Turner commented “The guys played very well tonight and it was great to get everyone a chance to play as well.”… Record: 8-2
- Golf Monday (4-8)… Catching up with Red Devils golf, on Monday Clinton traveled to Chester for a 3 way match that included Chapman… Chapman won the match shooting a 159 while Clinton finished 2nd with a 169 and Chapman 3rd with a190… Hunter Nichols tied with a player from both the other schools to have the lowest score of 38… Other scores for the Red Devils are: Zach Davis & Harrison Fisher – 43, Nate Moody – 45 and both Michael Mann and Riley Harkins had a 49… The Red Devils are now 9-4 on the season.
- Softball: Laurens 11 – Hanna 1… The Lady Raider softball team got back into region action last night as they hosted TL Hanna and they rolled to an 11-1 win in 6 innings… Laurens scored 1st in the bottom of the 1st when Haley Smith led off with a walk and later scored when Maria Williamson singled… The raiders put 6 runs on the board in the 3rd inning scoring all after 2 were out… In the inning, Tara Bond, Michaela Smith and Amber Aylesworth all drew walks while Maria Williamson and Jordan Henderson had singles… The big hits in the inning were doubles by Shelby Wagner & Annsley Nelson… Hannah got its only run in the top of the 4th off a walk and 2 ground outs to make the score 7-1… Laurens added 3 more in the 5th inning… M. Smith opened with a double, A. Aylesworth singled and then Shelby Wagner and Mattie Cantrell both walked… add in a couple of wild pitches and the raiders picked up 3 runs making it 10-1… Michaela Smith ended the game in the 6th with her 3rd homerun of the year giving Laurens a 10 run lead and the win…. Logan Hill picked up the complete game win allowing only 1 hit and 2 walks while striking out 10… M. Smith led the Raiders at the plate going 3-3 with 2 doubles and the homerun… Click on the following for game’s box score: 2013-4-9_LHSB-11__Hanna-1 Click on the following for the game’s scorecard: 2013-4-9_LHSB-11__Hanna-1__scorecard
- JV softball: Laurens 17 – Hanna 1
- Baseball: Laurens 7 – TL Hanna 4… The Raider baseball team also took on Hanna but it was at Hanna… The Raiders were victorious in this contest also as they took a 7-4 win… Laurens got on the board first scoring 3 runs in the 3rd inning… Thomas Jones led the inning off with a solo shot over the left field fence.. Trae Coleman then walked and stole 2nd base.. Di’Markus Sanders then walked putting runners on 1st & 2nd … After the next batter flied out, Shannon Smith doubled scoring Coleman… Christian Burton then reached on a fielder’s choice where Sanders was thrown out trying to score… Trey Finley then singled scoring Smith… Hanna got 1 run in the 3rd and 2 in the 5th to tie the game 3 all… Laurens then struck for 4 runs in the 6th… C. Burton walked with 1 out and then Trey Finley got a 2 run homer over the right-centerfield fence…. Grayson Bailes then doubled and Hammer Walker drew a walk… A passed ball allowed them to move up to 3rd & 2nd… Two batters later, they both scored when Hannah had an error… Hanna added 1 run in the bottom of the 7th and was threatening to add more but a double play ended the game with Laurens taking the 7-4 win… D. Sanders and T. Finley each had 2 hits on the night… Tanner Adair picked up the win pitching the last 3 innings in relief of Shannon Smith.. . Click on the following for more game stats: 2013-4-9_LDHS-BB-7__Hanna-4Click on the following for game scorecard: 2013-4-9_LDHS-BB-7__Hanna-4_scorecard
- Congratulations are due to the UConn women’s basketball team as they defeated Louisville last night by a score of 93 – 60 to take the Women’s Division I national Championship… That is the largest margin of victory in ever posted in a women’s championship game..
- Braves 3 –Marlins 2… Evan Gattis had his 2nd home run of the season… Braves are now 7-1 on the season… Will finish their series with the marlins tonight in Miami.
- Greenville 5 – Hickory 3… The drive are now 3-3 on the season…They will finish their current series with Hickory today at 11:00am
Local Sports Schedule:
- Tennis at Broome 4:30
- Soccer at Greer Mid. College 5:30
- V. Softball host 96 6:00
- JV Baseball at Chester 6:00
- Boys Tennis @ Greenwood 4:30
- JV & Varsity baseball hot Hillcrest 4:30 / 7:00 Varsity game on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- Varsity baseball @ Spartanburg Day 4:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game today when the Raiders take on the Hillcrest… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from the field for the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can Olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.