Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-11-13
- Soccer: Clinton 6 – Chester 1… On Tuesday the CHS soccer team hosted Chester and good news as the Red Devils took a 6-1 win in region action… Madison Simpson had 3 goals for Clinton and Rodolfo Orozco had 2… Dexter Simmons also had a goal for the Red Devils… Clinton outshot Chester 31-9 and Seth Anderson had 6 saves in goal.
- Soccer: Clinton 4 – Middle College 3… Yesterday the Red Devil soccer team picked up its 2nd win in a row as they defeated Greer Middle College 4-3… Madison Simpson again led the Red Devil offense with 2 goals and Dexter Simmons had 1… Clinton’s winning goal actually came courtesy of GMC as they caused the ball to go into their goal… GMC outshot Clinton 15-11 and Seth Anderson and Jose Gayton combined to stop 6 GMC shots… Clinton’s record is now 4-10
- Golf @ Mid-Carolina… Yesterday the CHS golf team traveled to Prosperity to participate in a 3-way match that included Newberry and Mid-Carolina… Newberry had the lowest team score with a 168, Mid-Carolina 172 and Clinton 179… Clinton’s Hunter Nichols was match medalist with a 35 on a par 36 course… Other scores for Clinton team members were; Zach Davis – 46, Nate Moody – 48, Harrison Fisher – 50, Caleb Moore – 53 & Michael Mann – 56…. The Red Devils record is now 9-6
- Baseball: Laurens 7 – Hillcrest 4… For the second night in a row the Laurens Raider Baseball team took a 7-4 win over a region opponent and last night it was the Hillcrest Rams going down to defeat at Ed Prescott Field… The Rams got on the board first with a single run in the top of the 3rd inning… Laurens struck for 3 runs in the bottom of 4th inning… Grayson Bailes singled and Hammer Walker followed with his first homerun of the year over the left-center field fence… Trae Coleman later singled and scored when Cody Smiley brought him in with a single… Hillcrest got 1 of those runs back in the top of the 5th inning to make it 3-2 Raiders… The Raiders got their final 4 runs in the 5th inning… Christian Burton led off with a double Zed Anderson was brought in as a pinch runner… Trey Finley then reached on an error putting runners on 1st & 2nd base… Grayson Bailes then advanced the runners 1 base each with a sacrifice… H. Walker then drew a walk to load the bases with 1 out… Thomas Jones then cleared the bases with a double… Jones later scored making it 7-2 Laurens when Di’Markus Sanders singled… Hillcrest scored their final 2 runs in the top of the 6th and threatened in the 7th but the Raiders held on to take the win… Cody Smiley got the start and the win pitching 5 innings giving up the 4 runs (only 2 of which were earned) on 3 hits while striking out 4 and walking 3… Tanner Adair pitched the last 2 innings picking up the save giving up 2 hits while striking out 2 and walking none…. Cody Smiley went 3-4 and Trae Coleman 2-3 being the only 2 Raiders with more than 1 hit… Click on the following for the box score and more statistics: 2013-4-10_LDHS-BB-7__Hillcrest-4 Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-4-10_LDHS-BB-7__Hillcrest-4_scorecard
- Tennis: Easley 6 – Laurens 1… catching up on a Laurens boys tennis action, the Raiders traveled to Easley on Tuesday and unfortunately the Green Wave took a 6-1 win over the Raiders… Chris Mather picked up the lone victory for Laurens in the #1 singles spot… Click on the following for more complete match details: 2013-04-9_LDHS-1__Easley-6
- Braves 8 – Marlins 0: The Braves completed a 3 game sweep of the Marlins last night in Miami with an 8-0 win to run their season record to 8-1… Evan Gattis had his 3rd homerun of the season a 3 run dinger in the 5th and Juan Francisco a solo shot in the same inning… The Braves have the night off and will start a weekend series with the Nationals in D.C. on Friday night.
- Drive 7 – Crawdads 5: The Greenville Drive ran their season record to 4-3 with a 7-5 win over the Hickory Crawdads in Hickory yesterday… The Drive start a 4 game series with the Lexington Legends in Kentucky.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV Softball host Spartanburg 5:00
- Tennis at Woodruff 4:30
- Golf host Laurens 4:00
- Track at Woodruff 5:00
- Golf host Hillcrest @ lakeside C.C. 4:00
- Tennis host TL Hanna 4:30
- Baseball @ St. Josephs 4:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball this Friday, April 12th when the Raiders take on the JL Mann… Join me a few minutes before 6:00 PM live from the field the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.