Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-12-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Well I mentioned to you on Tuesday that the PC baseball team was taking on Clemson last Wednesday and they always play the “big boys” tough… That was again the case at Clemson as PC fell 5-4 to the #17 ranked Tigers in the bottom of the 9th… The Blue Hose will be on the road this weekend as they start a weekend series at UNC-Ashville today at 3:00.. Remember, to find out anything and everything about PC athletics www.gobluehose.com is the one place to check.
- Tennis: Clinton 7 – Broome 0… Back on Wednesday the CHS tennis team traveled to Broome and picked up a 7-0 win in region completion… Austin MacMillan, Alec Powell, Jay Pea, Isaac MacMillan and Robert Powell all had wins in singles action… A. MacMillan and A. Powell teamed up to take a win in doubles action as did Jacob Tiller and Joe Scarborough… For more complete match details, click on the following: 2013-4-10__CHS-7_Broome-0 The teams record is 7-2 overall and 4-0 in region play.
- JV Baseball: Clinton 10 – Chester 7… Also on Wednesday the Clinton JV baseball team traveled to Chester and took a 10-7 win over the Cyclones… Jeremy Simmons was the winning pitcher. The Red Devils leading hitters were: Braeden Webb 2-4, Brayden Gibbs 1-2 and Jeremy Simmons 1-1. Coach Mike Turner commented “We were very sloppy defensively, but found a way to win late in the game. We were down 7-5 going into top of 6th and scored 5 runs in the inning to pull-out the win.” The JV record is now 9-2.
- Softball: Chester 9 – Clinton 8… Back on Tuesday the softball team traveled to Chester and Chester took a 9-8 win… Clinton was in the game all the way to the end and Chester won it on a single and a bang-bang play at the plate… According to Coach Nickie Templeton, Jessica Wood pitched well but errors were the big problem… Cassie Nichols, Mason Paige Gambrell and Kylie Griffin all went 2-4
- Softball: Ninety Six 9 – Clinton 4… On Wednesday the Lady Red Devil softball team played their 3rd game in as many days as they hosted Ninety Six… Kylie Griffin got the start in the pitching circle and gave up 4 runs from which Clinton could not recover as Ninety Six took a 9-4 win… Molly Scarborough went 2-3 while Jessica Wood went 2-4 and Tori Merrill 1-2.
Clinton & Laurens:
- Golf: 4-11-13: Clinton, Laurens and Hillcrest had a 3 way golf match at Lakeside C.C. yesterday and something a little unusual happened, all 3 teams shot a 167… Normally they would have had a playoff to break the tie but the threat of bad weather caused the coaches to forgo that…. Hunter Nichols of Clinton was match medalist shooting a 35… Justin Thomason of Laurens finished just 3 strokes behind him with a 38… Other scores for Clinton: Zach Davis 43, Harrison Fisher 44, Nate Moody 45, Riley Harkins 53 & Jay Addison 55… Other Laurens scores: Ryan Wright 41, Johnson Finley 44, Nick Brown 44 & Eric Dominick 46
- Tennis: Greenwood 6 – Laurens 1…. Back on Wednesday the Raider tennis team took on Greenwood and Laurens managed to take only 1 set and the Eagles defeated the Raiders 6-1… Jacob Freeze had the lone Raider win in the #3 singles spot… He won it in a 3rd set tie breaker… Coach Gordon Stallard commented that he felt like the team competed well and had some very tough matches…. Click on the following for more match details: 2013-04-10_LDHS-1__Greenwood-6
- The Braves were off last night and will start a weekend series with the Washington Nationals tonight in DC.
- Drive: The Greenville Drive were rained out in Lexington, Kentucky
Local Sports Schedule:
- V Baseball at Woodruff 6:00
- Soccer at Woodruff 6:00
- JV/V Softball host Woodruff 5:00/7:00
- Saturday: C-Baseball at Dutch Fork (DH) 3:00
- Girls & Boys soccer host Hillcrest 5:30 / 7:00
- Varsity Softball @ JL Mann 6:00
- Varsity baseball host JL Mann 6:00 Can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- Saturday track at Taco Bell Classic
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game today when the Raiders take on the JL Mann… Join me a few minutes before 7:30 PM live from the field the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.