Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-15-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Monday and it’s brought to you by The City of Laurens has announced that registration for the 6th annual Laurens Idol and Jr. Idol are now taking place at the city hall… Jr, Idol is for boys & girls 8-15… Open auditions are April 25th & 28th and you must register before then… Contact Jason Pridgen at 864-681-7275 for more information.
- Baseball: Woodruff 9 – Clinton 3… The Red Devil baseball team traveled to Woodruff last Friday and the Wolverines scored 4 in the 1st inning and 5 in the 6th to take a 9-3 win… Austin Wooten got the start for Clinton and struggled giving up the 4 earned runs on 1 hit, 5 walks and a couple of hit batters… Bradley Templeton came in and pitched strong until the 6th inning when Woodruff touched him for 5 runs and Landon Allison finished the inning… Clinton got runs in the top of the 6th inning… Colby Templeton doubled and 2 batters later came home when Bradley Templeton singled and advanced to 2nd on an error by the catcher… He then scored when Hunter Stewart doubled… Clinton’s last run came in the top of the 7th inning when Matt Craven and Brandon Pitts both singled… Landon Allison then walked to load the bases… Craven scored then scored when Dalton Foster reached on a fielder’s choice during which B. Pitts was put out at 3rd… The Wolverines were then able to retire the next 2 Red Devils to end the game…. Matt Craven went 2-4 to be the only Red Devils with more than 1 hit… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-4-12__CHS-3__Woodruff-9 Clinton is now 7-12 overall and 4-4 in region play….
- Soccer: Woodruff 6 – Clinton 2…. The CHS soccer team also traveled to Woodruff last Friday night and they also came up a little short as Woodruff took a 6-2 win… Madison Simpson was again the leading scorer for the Red Devils as he had both goals… Woodruff outshot Clinton 12-10 and Seth Anderson was the only Clinton goal keeper to have saves in goal with 4… Clinton is now 4-11 on the season and 1-5 in region play.
- Softball: JL Mann 15 – Laurens 3… Last Friday the Lady Raiders traveled to JL Mann to take on the Lady Patriots and an 11 run 4th inning for the Patriots proved to be too much for the Raiders as Mann took a 15-3 win in region action… Mann struck first putting 4 runs on the board in the 2nd inning… The Raiders picked up their 3 runs in the top of the 4th inning… Elizabeth Carman led off with a single then Maria Williamson and Michaela Smith walked to load the bases… Two batters later Matte Cantrell reached on an error that allowed Carman to score… Annsley Nelson followed with double plating Williamson and Smith… Unfortunately, those would be Laurens last runs of night as Mann got 11 runs to in the bottom of the inning and then the Raiders went down in order in the top of the 5th ending the game on the 10-run rule… Elizabeth Carman had 2 of the Raiders hits going 2-3 on the night… Click on the following to see more statistics on the game: 2013-4-12_LH-SB-3__Mann-15 The Lady Raiders are now 13-8 on the season and 6-4 in region play.
- Baseball: Laurens 8 – JL Mann 6… Meanwhile last Friday night the Raider baseball team hosted JL Mann and the Raiders took an 8-6 win over the Patriots but it was not easy… The Raiders opened the scoring in the 1st inning when leadoff hitter Di’Markus Sanders was hit by a pitch and moved to 2nd when Cody Smiley singled… Christian Burton then reached on an error that allowed Sanders and Smiley to score and Burton to move to 2nd… Shannon Smith then singled and he and Burton moved up when Grayson Bailes sacrificed for the 1st out… Trey Finley then singled driving in the scoring Smith and Burton making the score 4-0 Raiders… The Patriots responded by sending 9 batters to the plate in the 2nd inning and scoring 5 runs off starter Shannon Smith who had sailed through the first inning striking out all 3 Mann batters… Laurens entered the bottom of the 2nd trailing by a run but tied the score 5-5 when Trae Coleman led off with a walk and moved up as the next 2 batters grounded and flew out… He scored when Mann made another error… Mann goes up by a run in the 3rd when they scored a run off reliever Tanner Adair making it 6-5 Mann….Laurens responded by getting 3 runs in the bottom of the 3rd… Walks to G. Bailes and Hammer Walker with a strikeout between them coupled with a wild pitch put them into scoring position for Thomas Jones to drive them in with a single and taking 2nd on the throw… Jones scored the final Laurens Run when D. Sanders singled… Tanner Adair and the Raider defense shut down the Patriots the rest of the way preserving the win… D. Sanders and T. Finley led the Raiders with 2 hits each and Tanner Adair got the win… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-4-12_LDHS-BB-8__Mann-6 Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-4-12_LDHS-BB-8__Mann-6_scorecard The Raiders are now 15-4 overall and 8-3 in region play and have 3 region games remaining… If they win out they can finish no worse than 3rd and most likely 2nd in the region.. To finish first, they will need some help as someone must defeat region leading Greenwood at least once.
- Braves… The Braves spent the weekend in the nation’s capital taking on the Nationals and it was a good weekend as the Braves swept the Nats… Friday night the Braves tied the game 4 all in the top of the 9th and won it 6-4 in the 10th inning on a 2-run homer by Ramiro Pena… On Saturday they took a 3-1 win… Yesterday the completed the sweeps with a 9-0 win… Justin Upton and Andrelton Simmons both had homeruns… The Braves are now 11-1 on the season and have the night off before they start a brief 2 game home stand with the Royals.
- Drive.. . The Drive were in Lexington, Ky. Taking on the Legends in a 4 game series over the weekend… They split with the Legends winning the 1st and 2nd games on Friday by scores of 6-4 and 5-2… The Legends took the Saturday contest by a score of 6-3 and Sunday’s contest by a score of 4-0… Greenville is now 6-5 on the season.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV Baseball host Emerald 6:00
- Tennis at Woodruff 4:30
- Track at Woodruff 5:00
- Boys golf vs. TL Hanna @ Cobb’s Glen 4:00
- JV & varsity softball @ Hillcrest 5:30 / 7:30
- Middle school baseball host Oakbrook (DH) 5:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game Friday, April 19th when the Raiders take on the Wildcats of Woodmont… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from Ed Prescott Field for the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.