Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-16-12
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics…Last weekend the Blue Hose baseball team took 2 out of 3 UNC Ashville to run their season record to 20-17 and 7-5 in the Big South… About this time last week I told you they would be playing Clemson and that they always play the “big boys” tough and they lost by a run in the 9th… Well they have that opportunity again opportunity again to day as they travel to Athens to take on the Georgia Bulldogs… Let’s see how they do today.
- Softball: Clinton 1 – Woodruff 0… Last Friday night the Lady Red Devil softball team hosted the Lady Wolverines of Woodruff and the Red Devils scored the only run of the game in the first inning and then held on to take a 1-0… Clinton’s run came after Allison Oxner reached on a hit and later Mason Paige Gambrell executed a squeeze bunt to score Oxner… Jessica Wood picked up the win giving up only 2 hits and striking out 9… The Red Devils also played improved defense as they committed only 1 error.
- Tennis: Clinton 7 – Woodruff 0… Yesterday the Red Devil tennis team traveled to Woodruff and continued their roll through region play as they defeated the Wolverines 7-0… Austin and Isaac MacMillan, Alec Powell, Jay Peay and Robert Powell all had wins in singles action… Alec & Robert Powell teamed up to take a win in doubles action as did Jacob Tiller and Joe Scarborough… The Red Devils are now 8-2 overall and 5-0 in region play… Click on the following for more match details: 2013-4-15__CHS-7_Woodruff-0
- JV Baseball: Clinton 6 – Emerald 0… The Clinton JV baseball team continued their winning ways as they defeated Emerald 6-0 at home yesterday… Tristan Smaltz threw a complete game 2-hit shutout with 6 strikeouts… Clinton’s leading hitters were Delshun Young who went 3-3 with a double, Austin Foster and Davis Cunningham also had 2 hits apiece… Coach Turner stated “Tristan pitched outstanding and we played solid defense behind him. The guys played a great game tonight and I am very proud of their effort today”. Record: 10-2
- Softball: Hillcrest 10 – Laurens 1… The Lady Raider softball team had their first of 4 games this week as they traveled to Hillcrest to take on the Lady Rams and the defending state champion Rams took a 10-1 win in region action… Hillcrest scored 3 runs in the 1st & 2nd inning to take a 6-0 lead… They added a single run in the 4th and the Raiders got their only run in the 5th… Annsley Nelson led the inning off with a double and Shelby Wagner walked… Both runners moved up a base on a sacrifice by Chaos Smith… Nelson then scored on a sacrifice fly by Tara Bond… Hillcrest added 3 more runs in the 6th to make the final 10-1… Annsley Nelson had 2 of the Raiders 4 hits on the night… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-4-15_LH-SB-1__Hillcrest-10
- Track @ Westside… Catching up with the Laurens track teams, last week the track teams went to Anderson to take on the Rams of Westside and there were mixed results… The boys track team defeated Westside 92-45… Laurens won 13 of the 17 events that day… The girls came up a little short as Westside won 75-56.. The Lady Raiders won 6 of 16 events… Click on the following for complete match details: 2013-4-8_at-Westside Laurens has its last regular season meet today at 5pm as they host the Clinton Red Devils in the cross-county rivalry.
- Braves: The Braves were off last night and start a brief 2 game home series with the Royals tonight at the Ted.
- Drive: The Greenville Drive started a 3 game home series last night with West Virginia and lost 6-0 to the Power… The Drive are now 6-6 on the season.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV/V Softball at Union 5:00/7:00
- JV/V. Baseball host Union 5:00/7:00
- Soccer at Union 5:30
- Golf at Union 4:30
- Track at Laurens 5:00
- Tennis host Union 4:30
- Boys tennis host Mann 4:30
- Track host Clinton 5:00
- Girls & Boys soccer host Easley 5:00
- JV & Varsity softball @ Westside 5:30 / 7:30
- Varsity baseball @ Westside 6:00
- Softball @ Newberry 4:00
- MS Baseball @ Spartanburg Christian 5:00
- Varsity baseball host St Joseph’s 6:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game Friday, April 19th when the Raiders take on the Wildcats of Woodmont… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from Ed Prescott Field for the varsity action.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Clinton YMCA Softball Day at CHS… On Saturday April 20th the CHS varsity softball team will be hosting Clover in a doubleheader at noon and 2pm… All girls that play softball at the YMCA will be allowed to get in the softball games on April 20th for free. Each YMCA player will be allowed to line up with the Varsity softball players prior to the game and run onto the field with the Varsity players. YMCA players must wear their jersey in order to get into the game for free. When you arrive at the field, all YMCA players are to come into the first base dugout.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.