Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-17-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Wednesday and it’s brought to you by Laurens County school District 55 where they want tom remind you that the Scout Creek Biathlon is coming up Saturday April 27th… This is a fund raiser for the Joe R. Adair Outdoor Education Center which serves both district 55 & 56… For more details, click on the following link: http://www.laurens55.k12.sc.us/Page/7480
- Tennis: Clinton 7 – Union 0… For the second night in a row, the CHS tennis team took a 7-0 win in region action and last night the victim was Union County… Austin and Isaac MacMillan, Alec Powell, Jay Peay and Robert Powell all had wins in singles action… A. McMillan & J. Peay teamed up to take a win in doubles action as did Jacob Tiller and Joe Scarborough… The Red Devils are now 9-2 overall and 6-0 in region play… Click on the following for more match details: 2013-4-16__CHS-7_Union-0
- Baseball: Union County 10 – Clinton 0… The Red Devil baseball team hosted the Union County Yellow Jackets last night and the visitors took a 10-0 win in 5 innings… Union got 2 runs in the 2nd inning, 5 in the 4th and 3 in the 5th to take the win… In each of those innings, walks and miscues by the Red Devils helped the Union cause… Clinton also sputtered on offense as Bradley Templeton had the only hit for the Red Devils…. Click on the following for some game statistics: 2013-4-16__CHS-0__Union-10
- Softball: Union County 12 – Clinton 2… The Lady Red Devil softball team traveled to Union County yesterday and all I know at this time is that they lost 12-2 in 5 innings but the game is being appealed on a situation at the end of the game.. If I get more details I will pass them on to you.
- JV Baseball: Clinton 14 – Union County 4… The CHS JV baseball team continued on their winning ways as they defeated Union County 14-4 yesterday…. Davis Cunningham got the win pitching 4 good innings and Brayden Gibbs finished the game… Chandler Todd & Braeden Webb both went 3-3 to lead the Red Devils… Their record is now 11-2.
- Baseball: Laurens 5 – Westside 1… The Laurens Raider baseball team traveled to Westside last night and came home with a 5-1 win over the Rams… Cody Smiley got the start on the mound where he and the Ram pitcher hooked up in a pitcher’s duel for the first 3 innings… Laurens struck first putting 2 runs on the board in the 4th inning… Di’Markus Sanders led the inning off with a walk and moved to second when Cody Smiley follows with a single.. Two batters later, Shannon Smith drove them in with a double… Laurens plated another run in the 6th when Trey Finley singled and 2 batters later his pinch runner Zed Anderson scored when Hammer Walker singled… Westside picked their lone run in the bottom of the 6th to make the score 3-1 Raiders… Laurens added 2 insurance runs in the top of the 7th inning when Thomas Jones led off with a double and moved to the 3rd when Trae Coleman followed with a single… A Ram error then allowed Jones to score and Coleman later scored when C. Smiley singled… Tanner Adair came in to finish the game on the mound in the 7th inning giving up a single which quickly erased on a double play and getting the last batter to ground out to seal the win… Trey Finley and Cody Smiley had 2 hits apiece to lead the Raiders… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-4-16_LDHS-BB-5__West-1 Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-4-16_LDHS-BB-5__West-1_scorecard
- Softball: Laurens 10 – Westside 0… The Lady Raiders also traveled to Westside last night and they too came home with a win, a 10-0 victory over the Lady rams in 5 innings… Laurens wasted little time as they posted 6 runs in the 1st inning… Four Ram errors and singles by Jordan Henderson, Maria Williamson, Annsley Nelson and a double by Baylee Bragg were the catalyst for the 6 Raider runs… A walk to Elizabeth Carman and later a single by B. Bragg to drive her in added another in the 2nd inning… In the 3rd inning Amber Aylesworth walked and moved to 3rd when Tara Bond singled… She later scored as J. Henderson grounded out. To make the score 8-0 Raiders… Laurens added their last 2 runs in the top of the 4th when Michaela Smith singled and B. Bragg reached on an error and later scored when A. Aylesworth singled… Logan Hill got the complete game win giving up only 4 hits while striking out 6 and walking 2… B. Bragg was the only Raider to have more than 1 hit… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-4-16_LH-SB-10__West-0
- Coach Travis Langford Resigns… Just a couple of weeks after Coach Mark Freeze announced he was stepping down as varsity boys basketball coach at LDHS, Coach Travis Langford has decided to step down as girls varsity coach… Like Freeze, he has been coaching various sports both at Ware Shoals and Laurens for over 30 years… I’ll try to get more information later.
- Braves 6 – Royals 3… The Braves hit five homers including one from Justin Upton — his eighth on the season — and two from Juan Francisco. The barrage handed the Braves their 10th straight win as they go 12-1 on the season… Braves finish their series with the Royals down at The Ted with a 12:10 start this afternoon.
- West Virginia Power 8 – Drive 3… Same 2 teams again tonight at Flour Field…. The Drive now 6-7 on the season.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Tennis at Riverside 4:30
- Soccer vs. Laurens 5:30
- JV. Softball vs. Chapman 5:00 & Hosting: JV Chapman vs. JV Union 7:00
- JV Baseball at Union 6:00
- Golf at Woodruff 4:00
- Golf vs.. Greenwood @ Stoney Point 4:00
- Boys Tennis @ Westside 4:30
- Boys soccer @ Clinton 5:30
- JV & Varsity softball @ Easley 5:30 / 7:30
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game Friday, April 19th when the Raiders take on the Wildcats of Woodmont… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from Ed Prescott Field for the varsity action.… Then on Saturday we will bring you more baseball action as the Raiders host Easley in a BIG region contest… We will start at 6:00… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Clinton YMCA Softball Day at CHS… On Saturday April 20th the CHS varsity softball team will be hosting Clover in a doubleheader at noon and 2pm… All girls that play softball at the YMCA will be allowed to get in the softball games on April 20th for free. Each YMCA player will be allowed to line up with the Varsity softball players prior to the game and run onto the field with the Varsity players. YMCA players must wear their jersey in order to get into the game for free. When you arrive at the field, all YMCA players are to come into the first base dugout.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.