Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-19-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Last Tuesday the Georgia Bulldogs proved to be too much for the Blue Hose baseball team as the Dawgs took a 10-1 victory in Athens… The baseball team is on the road taking on Charleston Southern this weekend… You can get live game stats at GoBlueHose.com.
- Softball: Chapman 18 – Clinton 1… Last night the Lady Red Devils hosted the region leading Lady Panthers of Chapman and Chapman mounted a 22 hit attack to take an 18-1 win in 5 innings… Clinton went hitless on the night and their lone run in the 1st inning came when Allison Oxner reached on a walk and later scored on a Chapman error… Prior to the game, Tori Merrill was honored as Clinton’s only senior… Clinton will host Clover in a doubleheader tomorrow starting at noon during which YMCA softball players will be admitted free if they wear their jersey.
- Baseball: Chapman 4 – Clinton 3… Meanwhile the Red Devil baseball team traveled to Chapman and the Red Devils rallied last in the game but the Panthers held on to take a 4-3 win in Clinton’s last region game of the season… Chapman got on the board first scoring 2 runs in the 3rd inning and single runs in the 4th and 5th innings… The Clinton bats which had been held hitless finally picked up their only 2 hits of the night in the 6th inning as Clinton put its 3 runs on the board in that inning… With 1 out, Landon Allison walked and Dalton Foster followed with a single… During the play, Chapman committed an error which allowed Allison to score and Foster to move to 2nd… After the next batter flied out, Blake Riddle drew a walk that put runners on 1st & 2nd… A wild pitch than allowed them to advance 1 base each… Hunter Stewart then singled driving in both base runners… Chapman then got the next batter to fly out to end the inning and retired the Red Devils in order in the 7th to take the win… Unfortunately this loss removes Clinton from playoff contention… Click on the following for ac complete box score of the game: 2013-4-18__CHS-3__Chapman-4
- Tennis: Clinton 7 – Chapman 0… For the third match in a row, the CHS tennis team took a 7-0 win in region action at Chapman… Austin and Isaac MacMillan, Alec Powell, Jay Peay and Robert Powell all had wins in singles action… A. McMillan & A. Powell teamed up to take a win as the #1 doubles team and Jacob Tiller and Joe Scarborough did the same as the #2 doubles team… The Red Devils are now 9-2 overall and 7-0 in region play… Click on the following for more match details:2013-4-18__CHS-7_Chapman-0
- Golf: Clinton 177 – Abbeville 199… Yesterday the Red Devil golf team hosted the Abbeville Panthers and the Red Devils picked up their 10th win of the season (10-7-1) as they defeated the Panthers 177-199…. Zach Davis was match medalist shooting a 41… Other Clinton scores were: Michael Mann – 42, Harrison Fisher – 45, William Lollis – 49, Riley Harkins – 51 and Joe Milner – 55.
- Golf: Greenwood 162 – Laurens 166… Catching up on some raider golf action back on Wednesday, the Raiders traveled to The Links at Stoney Point to take on the Greenwood Eagles and the Eagles edged the Raiders by 6 strokes taking a 162-168 win in region action… Mason Piontek of Greenwood was match medalist shooting a 39 while Ryan Wright had the lowest score for the Raiders with a 44… The JV teams also played and the Raider JV team turned the tables taking a 201-204 win over the Eagles… Bailey Dunlap and Patton Crocker both shot a 50 to lead the JV Raiders…. Click on the following for more match details: 2013-4-17_Golf_Greenwood
Laurens County Speedway Results: 4-13-13… Catching up on results from week 2 of the season:
- Front Wheel Drive… Kristen Baker slid across the finish line to take her 1st win at LCS.. She edged out Andrew Patterson and Kelly Patterson.
- Hobby… Dan Lawson picked up his 2nd win of the season in the Hobby main event in a race he never trailed in… Tim Tollison finished 2nd and Chris Patterson 3rd.
- Super Stock 4… Ronnie Johnson took the checkered flag in the Super Stock 4 main event… Late in the race he pulled away from Brian Nelson who finished 2nd and dusty Eaves won the battle for 3rd.
- Crates… Larry Tims took the lead on the late in the opening lap and held off the completion to finish 1st in the Crates division.. Butch Riddle crossed the finish line 2nd and Mac Owens 3rd.
- Limited… In the Limited main event, Dale Tims won one of the closer races of the night… David Todd and Billy Rushton were the next 2 across the line.
- Braves 6 – Pirates 4… The Braves improved their season record to 13-2 with a 6-4 win over the Pirates in Pittsburg… BJ Upton, Chris Johnson, Justin Upton and Evan Gattis all had homers for the Braves… Gattis’ homerun was a pinch hit 2-run homer in the top of the 8th inning that proved to be the game winner… The Braves continue their series with the Pirates this weekend.
- Lexington Legend 13 – Drive 2… The Drive are 7-8 on the season… Greenville will continue play with the Legends this weekend.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Track at Union (McDonald Classic) 5:30
- Soccer host Chapman 5:30
- JV Softball host Spartanburg (DH) 5:00/7:00
- Saturday: 4/20 V. Softball host Clover (DH) 12:00/2:00
- Girls & boys soccer @ TL Hanna 5:30 / 7:00
- JV & varsity softball @ Woodmont 5:30 / 7:30
- JV & varsity baseball host Woodmont 4:30 / 7:00 – Varsity game can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- Saturday baseball host Easley 6:00 – Game can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- Softball host WW King 5:00
- Baseball host WW King 5:00
- Our next game broadcast from Laurens High School will be a baseball game today when the Raiders take on the Wildcats of Woodmont… Join me a few minutes before 7:00 PM live from Ed Prescott Field for the varsity action.… Also tomorrow we will bring you another baseball game when the Raiders host the Easley Green Wave with 1st pitch scheduled for 6:00… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
FYI / Community Interest:
- Clinton YMCA Softball Day at CHS… On Saturday April 20th the CHS varsity softball team will be hosting Clover in a doubleheader at noon and 2pm… All girls that play softball at the YMCA will be allowed to get in the softball games on April 20th for free. Each YMCA player will be allowed to line up with the Varsity softball players prior to the game and run onto the field with the Varsity players. YMCA players must wear their jersey in order to get into the game for free. When you arrive at the field, all YMCA players are to come into the first base dugout.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.