Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-23-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose baseball team faced off against Charleston Southern last weekend down on the coast and Charleston Southern took 2 of 3 games from PC but they were hard fought close games… PC travels to NC to take on Charlotte at 6 pm… You can catch all the action at GoBlueHose.com as Eric Thacker brings you the call of the game.
- Tennis: Clinton 7 – Broome 0…. The Clinton boys’ tennis team completed their regular season yesterday as they defeated Broome at home 7-0 to win the region championship… Austin and Isaac MacMillan, Alec Powell, Jay Peay and Todd Underwood all had wins in singles action… Alec & Robert Powell teamed up to take a win in doubles action as did Jacob Tiller and Joe Scarborough… The Red Devils finish their regular season 12-2 overall and a perfect 8-0 in region play… Click on the following for more match details: 2013-4-22__CHS-7_Broome-0 …. They now will take a little over a week off and then begin playoff action on Thursday May 2nd against whomever will be the runner-up in Region 1.
LDHS – CHS:
- Softball: Laurens 12 – Clinton 0… Laurens and Clinton hooked up in softball action for the 2nd time this season last night this time over at LDHS… When the game was over, Laurens had defeated Clinton for the 2nd time this season as they took a 12-0 win… Laurens scored 3 runs in both the 1st & 2nd innings to go up 6-0 they added another in the 3rd and 5 in the 4th inning to take the win in 5 innings… Clinton did threaten in the 4th inning as Allison Oxner led off with a triple but was later thrown out at the plate on a great throw by Laurens center fielder Haley Smith after fielding a single… Clinton managed just 3 hits and 5 base runners off Laurens pitching while Laurens got their 12 runs on 13 hits aided by 5 Red Devils errors… Elizabeth Carman led the Raiders attack going 3-3… Click on the following for box score and statistics for both teams: 2013-4-22_LH-SB-12__Clinton-0 Click on the following for a scorecard of the game: 2013-4-22_LH-SB-12__Clinton-0_scorecard… Clinton ends their season with a 3-19 overall record… The Lady Raiders end their regular season 16-10 overall and 8-6 in Region I –AAAA which put them in 3rd place in the region and gets them into the state AAAA Softball Tournament… They will open post-season play on Thursday on the road against an opponent yet to be decided at a time to be announced… I should be able to give you all those details on tomorrow’s sport report.
- Baseball: Laurens 14 – Woodmont 4…. In varsity baseball action last night at Ed Prescott Field, the Raider baseball team finished their regular season with 14-4 win over the Wildcats of Woodmont… Woodmont jumped in front scoring 2 runs in the 1st inning but Laurens tied it with 2 in the 2nd inning… Grayson Bailes had a solo homer as part of the 2nd inning… Laurens took a 3-2 lead in the 3rd inning as they scored a single run but Woodmont tied it in the 4th… Laurens responded with 2 in the 4th to go up 5-3… Woodmont came back with a run in the 5th to make it 5-4 Raiders… Laurens broke the game open in the bottom of the 5th putting 7 runs on the board to go up 13-4… The Raiders picked up a run in the 6th to give them a 10 run lead thus ending the game… Now at this time I do not have the stats I usually post up on the web site but will try to get them later… The Raiders finished 2nd in the region with an 11-3 record and 18-4 overall… They will open playoff action this Thursday at home most likely against Maudlin… I’ll confirm that by tomorrow.
- Atlanta Braves: Snow in Denver forced the Braves and the Rockies to reschedule the opening of their series until today when they will play a day-night doubleheader..
- Greenville Drive: The Drive will start a series with the Lakewood, NJ BlueClaws tonight at Flour Field.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Golf at Chapman 4:30
- Baseball host Abbeville – Senior Night 6:00 Can be heard on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC
- Track at Broome – Region Meet 5:00
- Region Track meet @ Hillcrest HS.
- Boys soccer @ JL Mann 7:00
- Softball host Ben Lipton 5:00
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.