Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-24-13
- Baseball: Abbeville 6 – Clinton 5… The Red Devil baseball team closed out their season last night as they hosted the Panthers of Abbeville on Senior Night… For the 7th time this season Clinton lost by a single run as the Panthers won 6-5… Abbeville led 6-0 going into the bottom of the 4th inning when the Red Devils finally got on the board scoring 2 runs.. Dalton Foster walked and Landon Allison followed with a double to put runners on 2nd & 3rd…. Kendal Pitts reached on an error which also allowed Foster to score… Allison then came home when Trey Childress had a sacrifice fly to centerfield… The score stayed 5-2 Panthers until the bottom of the 7th inning when Clinton’s comeback fell 1 run short… Brandon Pitts led the inning of with a single and Austin Wooten reached on an error putting runners on 1st & 2nd… Both runners moved up on a wild pitch but remained there as the next batter lined out… L. Allison then singled driving in Pitts and Kendal Pitts followed with a single scoring Wooten… After a popup for the 2nd out, Justin Foster singled driving in Allison to make it 6-5… Unfortunately the next batter grounded out ending the comeback… Clinton finishes the season 7-15 … Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-4-23__CHS-5__Abbeville-6 Click on the following for the game’s scorecard: 2013-4-23__CHS-5__Abbeville-6_scorecard
- Seniors honored… Prior to the game, Coach Lee Atkinson recognized the 3 seniors on this year’s squad… They are Dalton Foster, Brandon Pitts and Austin Wooten… Also recognized was team manager Rod Richardson…
- First Round Playoff Schedule: Well the playoff brackets are now set and I can tell you that the Raider baseball team will be hosting Mauldin tomorrow at Ed Prescott Field… First pitch is scheduled for 7:00pm…. Plan on coming out and watching the Raiders as they take on the Mavericks… Also tomorrow the Lady Raider softball team will open up their postseason play on the road as they travel to Duncan to take on the Lady Rebels of James F. Byrnes High School… First pitch there is scheduled for 6:30 and I hope a lot of you can make the trip as they take on a very strong Byrnes team… If you can’t make it to the game, join me here on Real Radio 860 WLBG a few minutes before 6:30… Remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- Tennis: Laurens 5 – Woodruff … Back on Monday the Raider tennis team hosted Woodruff and good news as the Raiders took a 5-1 victory… Getting wins for the Raiders in singles action were: Chris Mather, Jacob Freeze, Thomas Hughes and Colin John… Only one doubles match was held and that was won by the Laurens team composes of Hunter Holtzclaw and Evan Osborne… The Raiders are now 4-12 on the season…. Click on the following for more match details: 2013-04-22_LDHS-5__Woodruff-1
- Atlanta Braves: The Braves played a doubleheader with the Colorado Rockies yesterday in wintery Denver… The Braves won the 1st game by a score of 4-3 and took the nightcap by a score of 10-2… The Braves wrap up their current series with the Rockies today at 3:10.
- Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive returned home to friendly confines of Flour Field but their losing streak continued as the Lakewood BlueClaws defeated them 4-0… Their series continues tonight.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Region track meet concludes at Broome.
- Region Track meet @ Hillcrest
- Middle school baseball host St. Joseph’s 5:00
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.