Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-25-13
- Soccer: Broome 6 – Clinton 3… Back on Monday the CHS soccer team hosted Broome and the visitors took a 6-3 win over the Red Devils… Madison Simpson had 2 goals for the Red Devils and Nolan Boozer had the remaining goal… Broome’s defense limited Clinton to 7 shots on goal while they managed 21… Jose Gayton had 9 save in goal for the Red Devils… The team now has a 6-12 overall record and 2-6 region record.
- Golf 4-22-13… Also last Monday the Red Devil golf team hosted Greer and Mid-Carolina… Clinton finished 1st shooting a 160, Greer 2nd with a 181 and Mid-Carolina 3rd shooting 182… Hunter Nichols was co-match medalist with Braxton Dillard of Greer as they both shot a 38… Scores for other Clinton golfers were: Harrison Fisher – 41, Zack Davis – 44, Nate Moody – 46, Michael Mann – 48 and Jay Anderson – 50…. The Red Devils are now 12-7-1 on the year.
- Indya Kinard Signs with Claflin University… On Tuesday April 22nd, 2013 Clinton High School senior Indya Kinard signed to play basketball at Claflin University in Orangeburg… Indya was a 5 year varsity player who started the last 4 years… This past season she averaged 9.8 points per game and 8.5 rebounds per game… Check the Between the Lines section of wlbg.com for a video interview done with her or click on the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blWtICuQS4Q
- Tennis: Hillcrest 4 – Laurens 3… On Tuesday the raider tennis team hosted the Rams of Hillcrest and in a hard fought match the Rams took a 4-3…. Chris Mather, Jacob Freeze and Thomas Hughes had the 3 Laurens wins in singles action… Two of Laurens loses came in 3rd set tiebreakers… The Raiders finish their season with a 4-13 record… Coach Gordon Stallard commented “I thought we improved a lot over the season. Step 1 in the building process is to get kids competing the entire match and we started doing that every point.” Click on following for more match details:2013-04-23_LDHS-3__Hillcrest-4
Laurens County Speedway Results: … Catching up on results from last Saturday night (4-20-13):
- Limited Late Model: Billy Rushton picked up his 1st win of the season… Dale Timms finished 2nd and Kris Norwood 3rd.
- Hobby: Bobby Tucker took the checkered flag in this division breaking Dan Lawson’s winning streak in the main event… Lawson did manage to finish 2nd and Tim Tollison 3rd.
- Front Wheel Drive: In the main event, Travis Jamison led from wire to wire… The next 2 drivers across the finish line behind him were Roger Wright and Megan Templeton.
- Super Stock 4: Brian Nelson took his first win of the season in the SS-4 division… Dusty Eaves was his closest challenger finishing 2nd followed by Joe Gibson in 3rd…
- Crates: Terry Bullard picked up the win in the main event here but had to fight his way to the lead and then fight off challengers… Mac Owens finished 2nd almost getting past Bullard with Nick Dietz 3rd.
College Notes: NFL draft starts today.
- Atlanta Braves: The Braves finished their series with the Rockies yesterday with a 6-5 loss in 12 innings…. The Braves have the night off and will start a 3 game series with the Tigers in Detroit on Friday night.
- Greenville Drive: The Drive lost last night to the Lakewood BlueClaws by a score of 7-5… They continue their series with the Claws tonight at Flour Field.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Track team finishes the region meet at Broome
- Golf @ Westside 4:00
- Baseball host Mauldin in 1st round of playoffs 7:00
- Softball @ Byrnes in 1st round of playoffs 6:30 You can catch this game on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- Softball & baseball @ WW King 5:00
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.