Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-26-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you PC Athletics… The PC baseball team took an 8-3 win over Charlotte on Tuesday to make their record 22-20… They will play a doubleheader at Coastal Carolina today and a single game tomorrow… The Lady Blue Hose softball team is also on the road this week taking on Longwood in Farmville, Va.
- Golf- 4-23-13… Catching up on a little Red Devil golf action, back on Tuesday the Red Devils traveled to Chapman for their last regular season match… Unfortunately Chapman took a 156 – 169 win over the Red Devils.. Hunter Stewart had the lowest score for Clinton shooting a par 36.. Seth Robertson of Chapman bested him for medalist by only 1 stroke shooting a 35… Other Clinton scores were; Harrison Fisher 42, Michael Mann 45, Nate Moody 46, Zach Davis 50 and Riley Harkins 57…. Clinton finishes the regular season 12-8-1 and will play next Monday in region tournament at the Chester C.C.
- Soccer: Mid-Carolina 5 – Clinton 4… The Red Devil soccer team hosted Mid-Carolina yesterday and Rebels took a hard fought 5-4 win… Madison Simpson continues to be the Red Devils most potent offensive weapon as he had 3 of Clinton’s goals and Nolan Boozer had the other… Clinton had 13 shots on goal and Mid-Carolina 14… Jose Gayton had 4 saves in goal… The team is now 6-13 on the season while Mid-Carolina is 11-4
- Softball: Byrnes 3 – Laurens 2… The Lady Raider softball team traveled to Byrnes to take on the Lady Rebel softball team in 1st round playoff action… Byrnes had to come from behind to do it but they did take a 3-2 win over Laurens… Laurens scored 2 runs in the 1st inning with a little help from the Rebels… With 1 out, Jordan Henderson and Elizabeth Carman had back-to-back singles… Allison Foreback then drew a walk to load the bases… After the next batter popped up for the 2nd out, the Byrnes centerfielder committed an error that allowed Henderson and Carman to score… The next batter struck out to end the inning… Byrnes scored single runs in both the 2nd & 3rd inning to tie the game… Laurens threatened in the 4th putting a runner on 3rd with 2 outs but could just not get the key hit needed to bring in the run… Byrnes scored the winning run in the 5th inning on a leadoff walk and then a triple… Laurens threatened again in the 6th inning when with 1 out Annsley Nelson singled and Baylee Bragg doubled putting runners on 2nd and 3rd but Byrnes retired the next 2 runners to end the threat and the Raiders went down in order in the 7th.. . After the game Coach Butch Clark commented on the great defensive game the Raiders played (they committed no errors and made several good plays to end Byrnes threats) but lamented the fact that they just could not seem to get clutch hits…. Click on the following for more statistics: 2013-4-25_LH-SB-2__Byrnes-3-PO Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-4-25_LH-SB-2__Byrnes-3-PO_scorecard The Lady Raiders now face elimination tonight as they take on Nation Ford at the Raider softball field… First pitch is scheduled for 6:30
- · Baseball: Mauldin 3 – Laurens 0… The Raider baseball team also opened postseason play last night as they hosted the Maudlin Mavericks… The Laurens bats were cold last night as they collected only 2 in the Mavericks 3-0 win over Laurens… The Mavericks’ hard throwing Cory Thompson ( 90 mph+) and side-armer Tanner Adair hooked up in a pitching duel in which the Adair and the Raiders had 1 bad inning – the 5th… In that inning the Mavs got 3 of their 5 hits on the night and Adair gave up his only walk of the night as well a hit batter that produced those 3 runs… Laurens only hits were doubles … One by Thomas Jones in the 1st inning and one by Cody Smiley in the 7th… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-4-25_LDHS-BB-0__Mauldin-3_PO Click on the following for the game scorecard:2013-4-25_LDHS-BB-0__Mauldin-3_PO_scorecard Like the Lady Raider softball team, the baseball team faces elimination when they host Easley on Saturday at noon at Ed Prescott Field… Please come to the game, but if you can’t make it I’ll have all the action here on Real Radio 860 WLBG.
- Atlanta Braves: Braves were off last night… Start a 3 game series in Detroit tonight.
- Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive defeated the Lakewood BlueClaws 12- last night at Flour Field… They start a 4 game series with the Delmarva ShoreBirds tonight at Flour Field.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Soccer at Chester 5:30
- Girls & boys soccer host Westside 5:30 / 7:00
- Softball host Nation Ford 6:30
- Saturday: Baseball host Easley Noon This game will be broadcast on Real Radio 860 WLBG
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.