Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 3-29-13
Region Track Meet: Last Tuesday and Wednesday the Red Devil track teams were in action at the Region Track meet held at Broome High School…
Girls: The Girls team finished 5th with 5 athletes finishing high enough to make it to the state qualifier next weekend… They were:
- Girls 400 Meter Hurdles: Chrishanti Johnson – 3rd
- Girls High Jump: Gabby Bates – 2nd
- Girls Long Jump: Cynthia McHam – 4th
- Girls Shot Put: Aaliyah Boyd – 3rd & Tamia Sanders – 4th
- Girls Discus Throw: Aaliyah Boyd – 1st
Boys: The boys track team finished 2nd in the region meet and they too had several members who will advance to the state qualifier this next weekend… They are:
- Boys 100 Meter Dash: Kenyon Brown – 2nd
- Boys 200 Meter Dash: Kenyon Brown – 1st
- Boys 1600 Meter Run: Chandler Sprouse – 2nd
- Boys 3200 Meter Run: Chandler Sprouse – 1st
- Boys 110 Meter Hurdles: Dee Jennings – 1st
- Boys 400 Meter Hurdles: Dee Jennings – 3rd
- Boys 4×100 Meter Relay: 2nd: Lavadrick Glenn, Drek Anderson, Hezekiah Simpson & Matthias Williams
- Boys High Jump: Kenyon Brown – 2nd
- Boys Long Jump: Kenyon Brown – 1st, Tyree Rumph – 4th
- Boys Shot Put: Keiron Murphy – 2nd
Complete Results: To see complete region meet results click on the following: Region_3-AAA_Track-results
- Softball: Nation Ford 12 – Laurens 7…. Last Friday night the Lady Raider softball team was eliminated from playoff action as the Lady Falcons of Nation Ford took a 12-7 win at the LDHS softball field… Nation Ford jumped on top scoring 2 runs in the top of the 1st but Laurens answered scoring 1 in the bottom of the 1st when Haley Smith led off with a single and was later driven in on a double by Elizabeth Carmen… Laurens took a 3-2 lead scoring 2 runs in the 2nd inning as Baylee Bragg singled and Annsley Nelson walked and both later scored on Falcon errors… Laurens added another run in the 4th when H. Smith again singled and E. Carmen later singled to drive her in making it 4-2 Raiders… Nation Ford tied it with 2 runs in the 5th inning and took the lead 7-4 with 3 runs in the 6th inning… In their half of the 6th inning, Jordan Henderson singled and E. Carmen walked after the 1st out… Then with 2 outs, Michaela Smith homered over the center field fence to tie the game… However in the top of the 7th inning the Falcons put 5 runs on the board and the raiders could not match them in their half of the 7th making the final 12-7 Nation Ford… The Lady Raiders end the season with a 16-12 record having finished 3rd in Region 1-AAAA with an 8-6 region record… Click on the following for more game statistics : 2013-4-26_LH-SB-7__Nat-Ford-12-PO Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-4-26_LH-SB-7__Nat-Ford-12-PO_scorecard
- Baseball: Easley 6 – Laurens 1… Laurens and Easley met for the 3rd time this year at noon last Saturday with each team having won a game and the stakes were high as the loser would be eliminated from the playoffs… The gray rainy day proved to be an omen for the Raiders as Easley took a 6-1 win to end the Raiders season… Easley took a 1-0 lead scoring a single run in the 3rd inning… Easley put their other 5 runs on the board in the 5th inning with all hits and runs coming after 2 were out… Laurens responded by getting its only run in the bottom of the 5th when DiMarkus Sanders singled and moved to 2nd when Grayson Bailes reached on an error… Cody Smiley was then hit by a pitch to load the bases… A sacrifice fly by Thomas Jones scored Sanders but the other Laurens runners were left stranded as the next 2 Raiders failed to get clutch hits… Thus was the Raiders main problem all night as they left 10 runners stranded… The Raiders finish the season 18-6 overall and finished 2nd in Region 1-AAAA with an 11-3 region record…. Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-4-27_LDHS-BB-1__Easley-6-PO Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-4-27_LDHS-BB-1__Easley-6-PO_scorecard
- Atlanta Braves: The Braves were unable to tame the Tigers as they dropped all 3 games in Detroit over the weekend… The Tigers won 10-0 on Friday, 7-4 on Saturday and 8-3 yesterday…. The Braves are now 15-9 on the season.
- Greenville Drive: The Drive hosted the Delmarva ShoreBirds this weekend and they were only able to get in games on Friday and Saturday… The Birds won Friday’s contest 10-3 but took Saturday’s contest 5-4… Yesterday’s contest was rained out and will be made up today as part of a day-night doubleheader weather permitting.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Boys soccer host Newberry 5:30
- Region Golf tournament @ Anderson
- Softball host WW King 5:00
- Baseball starts playoffs hosting Coastal Christian
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.