Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 4-30-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you Presbyterian College Athletics… The PC baseball team managed to win 1 of 3 games against Coastal Carolina this past weekend and the two they lost were only by a single run each… Keep up with these at www.GoBlueHose.com
- Soccer: Clinton 5 – Chester 0… Last Friday the Red Devil soccer team traveled to Chester and came back home with a 5-0 win over the Cyclones… Madison Simpson and Nolan Boozer each had 2 goals and Michael Richey had the remaining goal… Clinton had 23 shots on goal to Chester’s 3… Jose Gayton had 3 saves in goal… Clinton finishes the regular season 7-13 and 3-6 in region play.
- Region Golf Tournament: The Clinton Red Devil golf team qualified for the Upper-State Golf Tournament by finishing 4th in the region tournament with a 256… Chapman finished 1st with a 331… Clinton was led by Hunter Nichols who shot a 77 on the par 72 Chester C.C…. Nichols ran into a little bad luck as he put his 2nd shot in the water on the 18th hole and had to settle for a triple bogey… This truly was a team effort as there were only 4 strokes between 2nd place Woodruff and Clinton…. Other Clinton scores were Zach Davis & Harrison Fisher 92 each, Michael Mann 95 and Riley Hawkins 101… The team will be in action next week at the Upper-State Golf Tournament at Southern Oaks in Powdersville…. Click on the following for complete region match details: Region Golf Scores
- Golf: 4-25-13… Catching up on a little golf action from last Thursday, Laurens travelled to the Anderson C.C. to participate in a 4 team match with JL Mann, Palmetto and Westside… Mann and Palmetto both shot a 155 to tie for 1st and Laurens finished 3rd with a 165… Ryan Wright led the Raiders shooting a 37… Justin Thomason was close behind with a 38, Jonathan Finley & Nick Brown 45, Tyler Knight 46 and Eric Dominick 48.
- JV Golf… Also last Thursday the JV golf team hosted Wren’s JV team at Lakeside CC… Wren took a 1 stroke win shooting 203 to Laurens 204… Patton Crocker had a 44 to lead the Raiders… Other Laurens scores were: Nathan Mahon 52, Brenden Clark & Bailey Dunlap 54 and Brady Davis 58.
- Catching up on a couple of former Raider baseball players up at Laurens High North (excuse me I mean North Greenville University).. Senior Adam Taylor and sophomore Allen Staton have been named to the Conference Carolinas All-Conference baseball team… Taylor earned a spot on the All-Conference First Team after he finished fifth in the conference and lead the team with a .392 batting average. The Laurens, SC native lead the conference with five triples and finishing in the Top 5 with 67 hits and ranking in the Top 10 with 41 runs scored. He also drove in 29 RBI, recording 10 doubles and five home runs and leading the Crusaders with a .485 on-base percentage in 45 games… Staton, the 2012 Conference Carolinas Freshman of the Year, earned his second straight First Team All-Conference nod after batting .388, including a conference-leading .683 slugging percentage and 11 home runs. The Laurens, SC native also ranked second in the conference and first on the team with 71 hits, including 19 doubles, to go along with 54 RBI and 34 runs scored in 44 games.
- Atlanta Braves: Braves 3 – Nationals 2… The Braves improved their record to 16-9 with a 3-2 win over the Washington Nationals in Atlanta… Small ball and defense won it for them… The same 2 teams will play again tonight in Atlanta.
- Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive split a doubleheader with Delmarva ShoreBirds as the Birds won the 1st game 6-5 but the Drive took the 2nd game 3-1… The Drive have tonight off and will be on the road for the next 8 days with the first stop being in Rome , GA to take on the Braves in a series starting Wednesday night.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Golf finishes region tournament in Anderson.
- Girls & Boys soccer host Woodmont 5:30 / 7:00
- Baseball host Coastal Christian in 1st round playoff action 6:00
FYI / Community Interest:
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.