Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-1-13
- Basketball Award: The spring sports season is so busy with all the different sports that sometimes it is easy for some things to get “squeezes out” or “fall through the cracks”… Such is the case with Raider basketball Awards for this past season… I want to catch up with that now and tell you that MaryAnna Moore made the Girl’s All Region team… For the boys, Chrishawn Guest and Dra Cunningham represented the Raiders on the All Region Team… I want to congratulate these three athletes on well deserved honors.. The basketball coaches also had other awards they handed out to various members of the boys and girls JV and varsity teams… For a complete listing of these award, click on the following: Basketball Awards
- Baseball: Crusaders 2 – Costal Christian 0… The Laurens Crusader baseball team opened up SCISA Class A playoff action last night at home with a 2-0 win over the Coastal Christian Cougars out of Mount Pleasant…. Senior Tanner Goff pitched a no-hitter picking up the win while striking out 6 and walking 4… The Crusaders picked up their first run in the 2nd inning when Caleb Sims reached on an error and then stole 2nd base and moved to 3rd when the catcher threw the ball into center field trying to get him at 2nd… He then scored on a sacrifice fly to center field by Trevor Esposito… The Crusaders last run came in the 5th when with 2 outs Caleb Greene reached on a fielder’s choice and then stole 2nd base… Matthew Urwick then singled to bring him in… After the game Coach Darryl Halbert said he was a little disappointed with the team’s performance at the plate but was of happy with the team’s defensive effort (no errors) and of course Goff’s effort on the mound… The Crusaders will face Coastal Christian tonight down in Mount Pleasant as they try to punch their ticket for the second round of the playoffs… Click on the following for the game box score and statistics: 2013-4-30_LABB-2_Cost-Chr-0 Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-4-30_LABB-2_Cost-Chr-0_scorecard
- Atlanta Braves : The Braves ran their season record to 17-9 last night down in Atlanta as they defeated the Washington Nationals 8-1… Tim Hudson picked up his 200th career win last night giving up only 3 hits and 1 run while striking out 6 and walking 2 in 7 innings of work… He also had a solo homer in the 5th inning to help his own cause… Andrelton Simmons also had a solo homer in the game.., The 2 teams will face off again tonight in Atlanta.
- Greenville Drive: The Drive were off last night and will start an 8 day road trip with their 1st stop coming tonight to take on the Braves in the 1st game of a 3 game series.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Spring football practice starts today
- Baseball at Coastal Christian 6:00
FYI / Community Interest:
- Spring football practice is taking place at LDHS on May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. The Raiders will be working on installing their new triple-option offense under the direction of Coach Lawson and his new offensive coordinator Coach Jay Brannon. The annual Spring Game and Powder Puff game will be May 16. See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for more details.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.