Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-2-13
- Soccer: Chapman 3 – Clinton 1… Yesterday Chapman broke a 1-1 tie at the half by scoring 2 goals in the 2nd period to take a 3-1 win over Clinton in the final regular season match for the Red Devils… Seth Anderson had the Red Devils only goal and the Red Devils managed only 7 shots on goal to Chapman’s 13… Jose Gayton did make 6 saves in goal for Clinton… Clinton finished 5th in the region with a region record of 3-7 and overall record of 7-14.
- Spring Football Practice… Spring football practice has begun for the Red Devils.
Region Track Results: Catching up on the track teams, Tuesday & Wednesday last week the Raider Track team participated in the Region I-AAAA track meet in Anderson… What follows are the overall results and those athletes who qualified for the state qualifying meet this Saturday @ Spring Valley
Girls: J.L. Mann finished 1st with Laurens 7th
- · Laquashia Brown - 4th 100 meter dash
- · Maleaka Neal – 4th 100 meter hurdles
- · Laquashia Brown, Shekiya Burnside, Maleaka Neal & Ianthea Rice – 5th 4×100 meter relay
- · Laquashia Brown, Shekiya Burnside, Maleaka Neal & Ianthea Rice – 3rd 4×400 meter relay
Boys: T.L. Hanna finished 1st with 114 points Laurens tied with Greenwood for 2nd with 112 points
- · Martez Abrams – 1st in discuss throw
- · Tevin Barksdale, A’Derius Freeman, Kalim Taylor & Eligha Case 1st in 4×400 meter relay
- · Tevin Barksdale 1st and Doc Tribble 2nd in 100 meter dash
- · Tevin Barksdale 1st and Doc Tribble 4th in 200 meter dash
- · Kalim Taylor – 2nd 110 meter hurdles
- · Kalim Taylor – 2nd in 400 meter hurdles
- · Eligha Case – 2nd in 400 meter dash
- · Chase Deaton, Logan Madden, Tevin Jenkins & Eligha Case 2nd in 4×800 meter relay
- · Chase Deaton – 2nd in pole vault
- · Doc Tribble, Justin Foggie, Tevin Barksdale & Roderick Talley 4th in 4×100 meter relay
- · Darnell Johnson – 4th in shot put
- · Doc Tribble – 5th in long jump
- Softball: Crusaders 10 – King Academy 1… The Lady Crusader softball team clinched at least a share of the region championship yesterday as they defeated WW King 10-1 at home… Carmen McGee picked up the win… If I can get more details I’ll post them up later
- Baseball: Crusaders 12 – Coastal Carolina 0… After struggling at the plate on Tuesday night in their 2-0 win over the Coastal Christian Cougars at home, the Crusader bats got hot as they pounded out a 12 -0 win over the Cougars down in Mt. Pleasant last night… Matthew Urwick and Trevor Esposito combined for a 1 hitter… If I get more details I’ll post them up later… The Crusaders now advance to the Upper-State Finals next week.
- Atlanta Braves: Nationals 2 – Braves 0… The Washington Nationals scored 2 runs in the 4th inning then made that stand up as they took a 2-0 win over the Braves in Atlanta last night.. Paul Maholom took the loss giving up only 3 hits in 8 innings of work but unfortunately one of those hits was a 2 run homer to the Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond… Maholom didn’t get much offensive support as the Nationals staff held the Braves to just 2 hits… The teams will complete their present series in Atlanta tonight.
- Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive started their 8 game road trip last night in Rome, GA as they took on the Braves and the Braves took a a3-2 win in 10 innings… A walk-off homerun by the Braves centerfielder Blake Brown was the hit that sunk the Drive.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Spring football practice is taking place at LDHS on May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. The Raiders will be working on installing their new triple-option offense under the direction of Coach Lawson and his new offensive coordinator Coach Jay Brannon. The annual Spring Game and Powder Puff game will be May 16. See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for more details.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.