Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-3-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you Presbyterian College Athletics… Exams have finished and the PC athletic teams get back in action this weekend… The baseball team will be at NC State and the softball team will travel to Charleston Southern for their final regular season series… You can keep track of these and other PC athletic events at www.GoBlueHose.com.
- Tennis: The Red Devil boys 1st round tennis playoff match with the Emerald Vikings that was scheduled for yesterday will be played on Monday at 4:30 at the Red Devil Courts.
- Track: Good luck to the Red Devil track athletes who will be headed to the state qualifying meet this weekend… For a list of those athletes, see my Sports Report for Monday (3-29-13) this week.
- Region Golf Tournament… The Region I-AAAA golf tournament was held earlier this week over in Anderson… T.L. Hanna finished 1st shooting a 592… Hanna’s Graham Farmer was tournament medalist with a 140… Easley finished 2nd – 604, Hillcrest 3rd – 622 and Greenwood 4th – 634… These teams will move on to state qualifier next week… Laurens finished 6th shooting a 666… Ryan Wright had the low score for the Raiders as he shot a 157… Other Raider scores were: Justin Thomason 159, Jonathan Finley 169, Nick Brown 181 and Erick Dominic 193… Click on the following for complete match details: 2013_1_4A_GOLF_RESULTS
- Want to wish the Raider track team members who will be heading down to Spring Valley to participate in the state qualifying track meet tomorrow Good Luck.. See my sports report for yesterday to see which athletes will be making the trip down to Columbia tomorrow.
- Softball: The Lady Crusaders will be having their last home regular season game today at 5:00 as the host Anderson.
- Softball 5-1-13: Yesterday I told you that the Lady Crusaders defeated King Academy on Wednesday 10-1 but that I did not have much information other than the score… Thanks to Coach Muir I now have some… Click on the following for the box score and other statistics: 2013-5-1_SB_LA-10_King-1 Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-5-1_SB_LA-10_King-1_scorecard
College Baseball Schedule::
- The # 14 Clemson Tigers will host the Terrapins of Maryland in a 3 game series which starts tomorrow at 1:00 and continues on Sunday and Monday.
- The # 9 South Carolina Gamecocks have a huge series in Columbia starting tonight as they host the #1 ranked Commodores of Vanderbilt… Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will be broadcasting these games starting at 6:45 tonight, 11:45 tomorrow and 2:45 on Sunday… Hope the Gamecocks sink the Commodores!!!
- Atlanta Braves: The Washington Nationals earned a split of their 4 game series with the Braves as they took a 3-1 over the Bravos down at the Ted last night…. The Nationals got 3 runs in the first two innings and then their pitching staff held Atlanta to just 5 hits… The Braves only run came inning the 7th inning when Braves second baseman Dan Uggla picked up his 5th homerun of the season a solo shot to left field… The Braves complete their current home stand with a 3 game series with the Mets this weekend.
- Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive continued their series with the Rome Braves last night down in GA. and the Braves handed the Drive their 2nd loss in as many nights as the they defeated the Drive 7-4…The two teams will finish their current series tonight with a 7:00 PM game.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Spring football practice is taking place at LDHS on May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. The Raiders will be working on installing their new triple-option offense under the direction of Coach Lawson and his new offensive coordinator Coach Jay Brannon. The annual Spring Game and Powder Puff game will be May 16. See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for more details.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.