Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-6-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Monday and it’s brought to you Laurens School District 55 where they want to remind you that PASS testing will begin tomorrow and runs through Friday of this week… Please encourage your child to do their best and be sure they get plenty of rest each night… Do all you can to make sure they arrive at school in a good frame of mind and minimize stress on them this week.
- Tennis: The Red Devil tennis team did not get to play their 1st round playoff game last week due to all the rain… The match against the Emerald Vikings is now scheduled for 5:00 pm today at the Red Devil tennis courts …. Weather permitting.
- Golf: The CHS golf team is scheduled to participate in the Upper State Golf Tournament at Brookstone weather permitting
- Dixie Youth Baseball… Weather and field conditions permitting, Sports Radio 1410 WPCC is scheduled to bring some Dixie Youth action this afternoon.
- Spring football practice continues today.
- Softball: Lady Crusaders 18 – Anderson Christian 0… Last Friday afternoon the Lady Crusader softball team clinched the region championship with an 18-0 win over Anderson Christian in 3 innings… The Lady Crusaders scored only 1 run in the first inning and 17 in the second inning in a game that was called after 2½ innings due to the 15 run rule after 3 innings that SCISA uses… The Crusaders manufactured those 18 runs on just 5 hits as they were aided by Anderson issuing 11 walks, 3 hit batters and committing 2 errors almost all of which came in the 2nd inning when the Crusaders sent 23 batters to the plate… Carmen McGee picked up the win giving up only 2 hits while striking out 5 and walking none… Click on the following for more game statistics: 2013-5-3_SB_LA-18_Anderson-0 Click on the following for a game scorecard: 2013-5-3_SB_LA-18_Anderson-0_scorecard The Lady Crusaders are scheduled to close out their regular season tomorrow at Ben Lipton … weather permitting
- Baseball: The Crusader baseball team was scheduled to begin the upper-state playoff series today at 6:00 with a home game against W.W. King… However all the rain has forced them to postpone the series opener until tomorrow at the earliest… For those of you Crusader fans who will not be able to attend tomorrow’s game I have some good news… We plan on bringing it to you here on Real Radio 860 WLBG and streaming live on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- On Friday the Braves losing streak went to 3 games as the N.Y. Mets defeated them 7-5 in 10 innings…
- The Saturday game suffered the same fate as many outdoor activities this weekend- it was rained out..
- Then yesterday the Braves ended their losing streak with a 9-4 win over the Mets… The Braves scored 5 runs in the 3rd inning and coasted to the win… Freddie Freeman and Reed Johnson drove in 3 runs each in the win… Tim Hudson picked up his 4th win of the season… The Braves now start a long road trip with their 1st stop in Cincinnati to start a 3 game series with the Reds tonight.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Spring football practice is taking place at LDHS on May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. The Raiders will be working on installing their new triple-option offense under the direction of Coach Lawson and his new offensive coordinator Coach Jay Brannon. The annual Spring Game and Powder Puff game will be May 16. See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for more details.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.