Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-7-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you Presbyterian College Athletics… The PC baseball team came up on the short end of the score in all 3 games at NC State last weekend and the opposition does not get any easier as they travel to Nashville tomorrow to take on the #1 or 2 (depending on whose poll you look at) Commodores of Vanderbilt… Game time is 7:30… You can follow it at GoBluehose.com… The #8 seeded PC softball team will open Big South tournament action on Thursday morning at 9:00am as they take on #9 seeded Charleston Southern.. Again follow the action at GoBlueHose.com… Good luck to both teams!
- Tennis: Clinton 6 – Emerald 1…. The Red Devil tennis team was finally able to get their first round playoff match in yesterday afternoon after all the rain delays and it the time off apparently did nor hurt them too much as they defeated Emerald 6-1… Alec & Robert Powell, Jay Peay and Isaach MacMillan all had wins in singles action… Austin MacMillan and Alec Powell teamed up to take a win as the #1 doubles team and the #2 doubles team composed of Jacob Tiller & Joe Scarborough did likewise…Click on the following for more complete match details: 2013-5-6__CHS-6_Emerald-1_POF-1 Because of the rain delays the team will have to right back in action today as they travel up to Clemson to take on Daniel at 5 pm… For those wanting to follow the team up, the physical address is 102 Neetles Park Rd. Clemson, SC.
- Track: Last Saturday some members of the Red Devil track team participated in the state qualifying meet at Lower Richland High School… The only Red Devil who qualified to move on to the state meet this coming Saturday was Dee Jennings who qualified in the 110 meter hurdles… Congratulations to him and the other members of the team!
- Track: Last Saturday, some members of the boys and girls track teams traveled to Spring Valley for the state qualifying meet… The girls’ team did not have anyone who finished high enough to move on to the championship meet… However, not so with the boys… Eligha Case qualified in the 400 meter dash and the 4×400 meter relay team composed of Tevin Barksdale, A’Derius Freeman, Kalim Taylor & Eligha Case… The state finals meet will be at Lower Richland this coming Saturday… Congratulations to these athletes.
- Moore Signs: Yesterday afternoon, Laurens senior MaryAnna Moore signed a letter of intent to play basketball for Clinton Junior College in Rock Hill, SC… The All-Region player led the Lady Raiders in most all offensive categories this year hopes to be able to play quickly for the Golden Bears and transfer to a four-year school after that… Check the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for a video interview done with her a little later today.
- Softball: Softball Travels to Ben Lipton to finish their season today @ 5:00
- Baseball: Baseball team starts the upper-state championship series today at 6:00 as they host W.W. King Academy … This game will be carried live on Real Radio 860 WLBG and streamed live at www.wlbg.comn
- The Braves opened their road trip with a 7-4 win over the Detroit Tigers… Braves shortstop Andrelton Simmons had 2 homeruns in the game… Jordan Shafer also had a pinch—hit homer for the Braves.. The 2 teams will continue their current series in Detroit tonight.
- On Friday night the Greenville Drive finished their series in Rome, GA with a 11-4 loss to the Braves.. The Drive lost all 3 games in the series to the Braves.
- On Saturday the drive were off as they traveled to West Virginia to take on the Power… Then on Sunday the Drive’s losing streak stretched to 4 as the Power took a 6-3 win over the Drive… The Drive were supposed to play the Power again last night but were rained out.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Spring football practice is taking place at LDHS on May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. The Raiders will be working on installing their new triple-option offense under the direction of Coach Lawson and his new offensive coordinator Coach Jay Brannon. The annual Spring Game and Powder Puff game will be May 16. See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for more details.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.