Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-8-13
- Baseball- All-Region Team… Recently it was announced that 4 members of this year’s Raider baseball team made the Region I-AAAA All-Region Team… They are: Tanner Adair – pitcher, Shannon Smith – outfield, DiMarkus Sanders – outfield and Cody Smiley – third base…. Also Coach Nelson announced that senior outfielder DiMarkus Sanders was also picked to play in this year’s SC Baseball Coaches All-Star Game in mid June. … Congratulations to these young men!
- Softball: Lady Crusaders 11 – Ben Lipton 0…. The Lady Crusader softball team completed their regular season last night with an 11-0 win over Ben Lipton down in the Columbia area… sorry but no further details at this time if I get them I will post them up…. The playoff brackets for SCIS Class A softball should come out today and I will try to fill you in on the where the Lady Crusaders are in the brackets tomorrow.
- Baseball… The Crusaders and the Knights of WW King got the first game of the upper state playoffs started last night but could not finish it as the heavy rain made the field unplayable in the bottom of the 1st inning… The Knight’s field is said to be in better shape than the Crusader filed as they have not had as much rain so the game will be picked up tomorrow in the bottom of the 1st inning at WW King… Start time is scheduled for 6:00pm and the Crusaders will be the home team leading 1-0 with 2 outs and the bases loaded when the game resumes… The second game is now scheduled for Thursday at Laurens Academy with the Knights being the home team… First pitch is scheduled for 5:00 pm and if a third game is needed it will also be Thursday with the Crusaders being the home team… If you can’t make it down to King tomorrow don’t worry as we are planning on brining you all the action live here on Real Radio 860 WLBG and of course streaming it live on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
College Baseball Notes:
- PC baseball team travels to Nashville to take on the #1 ranked Commodores… You can catch the audio of the game at www.GoBluehose.com… Hope they can sink the Commodores.
- The Clemson – Furman game @ Clemson was rained out yesterday.. They will attempt to make the game up today at Flour Field in Greenville at 2:30 and then will play the regularly scheduled game against Furman at 7:00 in what now becomes a day / night doubleheader between the Tigers and the Paladins.
- Meanwhile the South Carolina Gamecocks will host the Terriers of Wofford College tonight with 1st pitch scheduled for 7:00… I believe Fox Sports Carolinas / Fox Sports South will be televise the game.
- Atlanta Braves: The Braves had a 4-3 lead going into the bottom of the 9th inning up in Cincinnati last night and Braves pitcher Craig Kimbrel managed to get the first two Reds out but back-to-back homeruns by the next 2 batters lifted the Reds to a 5-4 win over the Braves… The loss drops the Braves to 19-13 on the season… The teams have now won a game each in the current 3 game series and the rubber game will be today at noon… By the way, Braves All-star catcher Brian McCann made it back into the lineup last night for the 1st time this season after shoulder surgery in the off-season… He went 1-4 with a 2 RBI single..
- Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive were rained out up in West Virginia last night and will try to break a 4 game losing streak when they square off against the Power tonight up in West Virginia.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Spring football practice is taking place at LDHS on May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. The Raiders will be working on installing their new triple-option offense under the direction of Coach Lawson and his new offensive coordinator Coach Jay Brannon. The annual Spring Game and Powder Puff game will be May 16. See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for more details.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.