Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-9-13
- Golf: The CHS golf team finished 13 in the upper-state tournament held earlier this week… While the team did not qualify to move on the state finals, Hunter Nichols did.. He will be paying next Monday and Tuesday down in the Conway area at the Hackler Course at Coastal Carolina…. Good luck to him next week!
- Tennis: CHS 4 – Daniel 2…. It took the Red Devil tennis team 2 days to do it (rain you know) but they defeated Daniel 4-2 to advance on in the 3-A playoffs… In singles action, Austin & Isaach Macmillan, Jay Peay and Robert Powell picked up the 4 wins for Clinton… Click on the following for complete match details: 2013-5-8__CHS-4_Daniel-2_POF-2 … The Red Devils play round 3 today at home as they host Chapin for the upper state title… Action slated to start at 4:30… Come on out and support these young men!!
- Tennis: Coach Gordon Stallard has announced the following awards for the 2013 Raider boys’ tennis team: Most Improved – Colin John, Raider Award – Hunter Holtzclaw and All-Region – Chris Mather… Congratulation to these young men!
- Baseball: L.A. 14 – King 2… After starting their game with WW King yesterday and having to stop it because of rain, then load the bus and go to King to finish the game today, Coach Halbert was wondered if his team would lose its momentum because of the delay… His worries were unfounded as the Crusaders took a 14-2 win over the Knights in 5 innings… Leading 1-0 with the bases loaded and 2 outs when they stepped off the bus, Josh Urwick stroked the 4th pitch he saw to centerfield for a 2 run single making the score 3-0 and the Crusaders never looked back… The Knights got a single run in in the 2nd inning but the Crusaders responded with 2 in their half of the inning to make it 5-1… The Knights got their last run in the 3rd but later the Crusaders put the game away with 9 runs in the 4th inning.. During that inning, they sent 13 batters to the plate and picked up the 9 runs on 7 hits, 2 walks and were aided by a single Knight error.. Click on the following for a complete box score and statistics: 2013-5-8_LABB-14_King-2… Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-5-8_LABB-14_King-2_scorecard… The Crusaders now lead the best of 3 series for the upper state championship 1-0 and the action will shift back to Laurens Academy today… Game 2 of the series is slated to start at 5:00pm with WW King being the home team since L.A. was yesterday… Should the Crusaders win they will advance to the state championship finals series next week… Should the Knights win, they will take a short break and than have the 3rd and deciding game with the Crusaders being the home team… Come on out and support the Crusaders but if you can’t make it, you can hear all the action live here on Real Radio 860 WLBG and streaming live on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- Atlanta Braves: Braves 7 – Reds 2… The Braves finished their series with the reds in Cincinnati yesterday with a 7-2 win which resulted in their taking 2 of 3 from the Reds… Dan Uggla had 2 solo homeruns in the game but the big blow came in the 8th inning when Juan Francisco hit a grand slam homerun… The Braves continue this ling road trip as they head out to the left coast to take on the San Francisco Giants in a 4 game series.. First pitch is scheduled for 10:15 tonight.
- Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive’s losing streak is now 7 games as they lost a pair of games to the West Virginia Power yesterday… They lost the 1st game 7-3 and the 2nd 7-6…In the 2nd game, the Drive actually trailed 7-0 going into the 9th inning and rallied to put 6 runs on the board but it was just too little too late… The Drive now return home as they start a series with the Augusta Green Jackets tonight at Flour Field.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Spring football practice is taking place at LDHS on May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. The Raiders will be working on installing their new triple-option offense under the direction of Coach Lawson and his new offensive coordinator Coach Jay Brannon. The annual Spring Game and Powder Puff game will be May 16. See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for more details.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.