Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-10-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose baseball took on #1 ranked Vanderbilt in Nashville on Wednesday night were down 5-0 going into the 9th inning when they managed to score 2 runs but could get no closer as the Commodores took a 5-2 win… The Blue Hose have their final home series starting today at 3 pm against Longwood… If you get the chance, go out and take in some good baseball over at PC.
- Tennis: Chapin 6 – Clinton 0…. The Red Devil boys tennis team hosted Chapin in the Upper State Championship yesterday and for only the 3rd time this season the Red Devils came up on the short end of the score as Chapin took a 6-0 win over Clinton… Jay Peay and Isaach Macmillan both lost in 3rd set tiebreakers… Click on the following for match details: 2013-5-9__CHS-0_Chapin-6_POF-Upper_State Chapin (18-3) moves on to face either Hilton Head or Socastee in the AAA Finals on Saturday… The Region-3-AAA Champion Red Devils finish their season with a 14-3 record… Congratulations to Coach Simmons and the team on a fine season!!
Laurens Academy: Someone once wrote all good things must come to an end… Unfortunately that applies to the Laurens Academy’s string of SCISA baseball championships as the Knights of W.W. King took 2 games from the Crusaders last night out at the Crusaders’ home field to break their consecutive championships at six…. The Crsaders only needed to win 1 game last night to advance to state finals but it just was not to be.
- Baseball Game 1: King 4 – Crusaders 3… In the first game the Knights took a 4-3 win behind the pitching of Blake Sauls…. The Crusaders trailed 4-1 going into the 7th inning and scored 2 runs but could get no more as their rally fell short… The Crusaders would often get runners in scoring position but just could not get the key hit needed to bring them home and their defense made more errors than normal on the night… Click on the following for the game box score and statistics: 2013-5-9-A_LABB-3_King-4 Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-5-9-A_LABB-3_King-4_scorecard
- Baseball Game 1: King 4 – Crusaders 3… In the second and deciding game of the 3 game series, the Knights again took a 4-3 win over the Crusaders… In this game the Crusaders carried a 3-0 lead into the top of the 7th inning but the Knights scored 4 runs to take the lead before the Crusaders could register an out on them… When the Crusaders came to bat in the bottom of the 7th the Knights were able to get them out in order to take the win and advance to the championship series next week… again the Crusaders’ problems centered around lack of clutch hitting and higher than normal number of errors… Click on the following for the game box score and statistics: 2013-5-9-B_LABB-3_King-4 Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2013-5-9-B_LABB-3_King-4_scorecard Congratulations to the Crusaders on a great season and I know they are going to start a new streak next season!
- Softball: The Lady Crusaders begin tournament play today 3 pm as they take on Andrew Jackson… Click on the following for tournament brackets, location, driving instructions and other details: 2013 SCIS Softball Tour
- Atlanta Braves: The Braves defeated the Giants 6-3 out on the coast last night.
- Greenville Drive: The Greenville Drive lost to Augusta 6-3 at Flour Field last night… They now have an 8 game losing streak.
Local Sports Schedule:
CHS: Members of the tack team will participate in the state final at Lower Richland tomorrow
LDHS: Members of the tack team will participate in the state final at Lower Richland tomorrow
FYI / Community Interest:
- Spring football practice is taking place at LDHS on May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. The Raiders will be working on installing their new triple-option offense under the direction of Coach Lawson and his new offensive coordinator Coach Jay Brannon. The annual Spring Game and Powder Puff game will be May 16. See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for more details.
- Donations Needed: If you have any good used exercise bikes or elliptical machines they have a need for them at LDHS.. They also can olympic weights and dumbbells for the weight room. If anybody in the community has any of these items that are “collecting dust” and in your way and would be willing to donate them, they can use them. They will of course come out and pick them up. If you have any of these items contact call LDHS at 682-3151 and tell them what you have and they will pass the message on to Adam Howell, strength & conditioning coach.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.