Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-14-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… Last weekend the Blue Hose baseball team had their last home games of the season as they hosted Longwood… The Blue Hose dropped the first two games of the series by scores 6-2 and 9-7… The Blue Hose came back and took the series finale by a score of 4-0… The team will finish out its regular season with 4 games this week… They finish Big South play with a 3 game series at Gardner-Webb that starts this Thursday… Meanwhile the will face the Gamecocks of South Carolina tonight in Columbia and that game can be heard at GoBlueHose.com and also it will be on Fox Sports South and the 1st pitch is scheduled for 7:00pm.
CHS: Spring Sports All Region 3-AAA Selections: Recently CHS released the names of those athletes who were selected to the All-Region Region 3-AAA Teams in the various spring sports… They were:
- Girl’s Track – Aaliyah Boyd
- Boys Track – Kenyon Brown, Dee Jennings & Chandler Sprouse
- Boys Soccer – Madison Simpson & Dexter Simmons
- Baseball – Matthew Craven & Dalton Foster
- Softball – Jessica Wood & Allison Oxner
- Boys Tennis – Austin MacMillan, Alec Powell, Jay Peay & Isaac MacMillan
- Boys Tennis Region III 3A Player of the Year – Austin MacMillan
- Boys Tennis Region III 3A Coach Of The Year – Clovis Simmons
- Golf – Hunter Nichols
- Baseball Rankings: In NCAA Division I the USA Today Coaches Poll has Vanderbilt #1 with a 45-6 record… North Carolina is 2nd with an identicall 45-6 record… LSU, Oregon State and Cal State Fullerton round out the top 5… Teams 6-10 are Oregon, Virginia, Florida State, NC State and UCLA… South Carolina checks in at # 12 and Clemson at # 19…
- ACC Baseball Standings:
- Atlantic Division: Florida State, Clemson NC State, Maryland, Wake Forest and Boston College
- Coastal Division: North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami and Duke.
- SEC Baseball Rankings:
- Eastern Division: Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee & Georgia.
- Western Division: LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Texas A&M & Auburn
- Softball Rankings: In NCAA Division I softball, the USA Today poll shows Oklahoma #1 with a 44-4 record… Florida, Oregon, Tennessee and Arizona State round out the top 5… Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Alabama & LSU make up the next 5.
- Atlanta Braves: The Braves started a 3 game series last night out in Arizona against the Diamondbacks… Arizona scored 1 run in the 1st inning but the Braves scored 3 runs in the 5th, 4 in the 6th, a single run in the 8th and 2 in the 9th to take a 10-1 win over the D-backs… Reed Johnson, Justin Upton and Brian McCann all had homers in the Braves 13 hit attack… Upton had 4 hits on the night… Mike Minor picks up the win (5-2) going 6 ⅔ innings… The same 2 teams will square off again tonight out at Chase Field.
- Greenville Drive: The Drive started a 3 game series up in Ashville last night and the Tourist scored a single run in the 2nd inning and made it hold up as they took a 1-0 win over Greenville… The Drive were only able to get 2 hits all night long and the Tourist only 5… Probably was a quick game but not much in action.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Spring football practice is taking place at LDHS on May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. The Raiders will be working on installing their new triple-option offense under the direction of Coach Lawson and his new offensive coordinator Coach Jay Brannon. The annual Spring Game and Powder Puff game will be May 16. See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for more details.
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.