Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-15-13
- Golf: After shooting an 8 over par 80 on Monday at the AAA state golf tournament, Hunter Nichols fired a 3 under par, bogey free round, 69 and finished in a tie for third. For his effort, Nichols also earned All-State honors… Congratulations to him!
- Softball Camps… Please see the information below and in the Between the lines area at www.wlbg.com for information about softball camps conducted by CHS softball Coach Nickie Templeton being held at the Clinton YMCA around the 1st of June or just after… Registration deadline is May 29th.
- Softball Awards… Last night The Lady Raider softball team had their annual awards banquet at the First Baptist Church Family Life Center… It was there announced that Elizabeth Carman and Maria Williamson were named to the All-Region I-AAAA Softball Team… Williamson also captured the team’s MVP award while Carman the team Offensive Award… Allison Foreback picked up the Most Improved while Annsley Nelson got the Hustle Award and Jordan Henderson the Defensive Award… The Lady Raiders only senior Amber Aylesworth picked up a 6 Year Letter Award and the Captains Award… Retiring Coach Frank Alexander was also honored for his years of service with the Lady Raiders… There were numerous other awards and to see a complete list of these awards click on the following: 2013 Laurens Softball Awards Just below you will also find a short slideshow of some photos taken at the banquet… Congratulations to the winners and the entire team!
College Baseball Notes:
- Clemson 8 – USC Upstate 7… Freshman Kevin Bradley hit a three-run, walkoff homer with one out in the ninth inning to lift #14 Clemson to an 8-7 win over USC Upstate at Doug Kingsmore Stadium on Tuesday night. The Tigers, who won their eighth game in a row, improved to 38-15 with their dramatic victory in their regular-season home finale…. Clemson will conclude the regular season with a three-game series at #8 Florida State starting tomorrow at 6:00 PM
- South Carolina 4 – PC 3… The Gamecocks of South Carolina also had their last regular season home game last night as they hosted the PC Blue Hose baseball team… As is often the case when PC and Carolina get together it was a close game but the Gamecocks prevailed as they took a 4-3 win over the Blue Hose… The Blue Hose scored a run in the top of the 9th but could get no closer… South Carolina is back on the road for a three-game SEC series with Mississippi State in the final weekend of the regular season. First pitch for the opener on Thursday is set for 7:30 p.m. ET…. PC is next in action at Gardner Webb for the final series of the regular season…The Blue Hose take on the Runnin’ Bulldogs and the opener will be Thursday with the 6 p.m. start… You can catch all the PC baseball action at www.GoBlueHose.com.
- Atlanta Braves: D-Backs 2 – Braves 0… The Arizona Diamondbacks evened the current series with Braves at a game each as they took a 2-0 win over the Braves last night out in Arizona… D-backs pitcher Patrick Corbin ran his season record to 6-0 as he pitched 7 innings of 3 hit ball against the Braves… The Braves managed only 4 hits in the game and centerfielder Reed Johnson was the only Brave with more than 1 hit as he had 2… The Braves end their current road trip today as they finish the series with Arizona today at noon.
- Greenville Drive: Tourist 9 – Drive 8… The Greenville Drive let one slip away from them last night up in Ashville as the Tourist took a 9-8 win over the Drive extending their current losing streak to 3 games… The Drive led 8-6 going into the bottom of the 9th inning.. A single and 2 walks loaded the bases for the Tourist with 1 out… A fielding error by the Drive centerfielder and a throwing error by the right fielder all during the same play allowed 3 Tourist to score giving them the win… The teams will finish their series at 11:05 this morning and the Drive will be back home tomorrow night.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Spring football practice is taking place at LDHS on May 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15. The Raiders will be working on installing their new triple-option offense under the direction of Coach Lawson and his new offensive coordinator Coach Jay Brannon. The annual Spring Game and Powder Puff game will be May 16. See the posting in the Between the Lines section at wlbg.com for more details.
- Softball camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Head Softball Coach Nickie Templeton and the Clinton YMCA are proud to announce a series of softball camps for youth of different ages. The camps will occur between June 1st and June 6th… Information about exact dates, ages, times and costs are can be found in a posting in the Between the Lines section at www.wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Wednesday May 29th so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.