Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-16-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Thursday and it’s brought to you by the Laurens County Speedway – the Darlington of Dirt Tracks… Well rain wrecked havoc with the schedule for the 3rd week in a row a last Saturday but rest assured they are not going to stop trying as the races are scheduled to go again this Saturday night.. Got to get them going soon, I hear a lot of the drivers wives are complaining that the due to no racing lately many of the drivers are messing up their yards at home doing laps around the house.
NASCAR: Really have not had time to catch up NASCAR lately so let’s do some of that now:
- Schedule… The NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race will take place Saturday at the Charlotte Motor Speedway with the green flag scheduled to drop at 7:30 pm.
- Sprint Cup Standings.. Jimmie Johnson leads the pack with 423 points… Carl Edwards is 2nd 44 points back and Matt Kenseth 3rd 59 points behind Johnson… Dale Earnhart Jr. and Clint Boyer round out the top 5… Kasey Kahne, Brad Keselowski, Kyle Busch, Aric Almirola and Kevin Harvick make up the next 5.
- Brandon Pitts… On Monday CHS senior second baseman Brandon Pitts signed a letter of intent to play baseball at the USC- Union… Pitts says he hopes to play mostly second base as in high school but may get some time at the shortstop position.
- Softball Camps… Please see the information below and in the Between the lines area at www.wlbg.com for information about softball camps conducted by CHS softball Coach Nickie Templeton being held at the Clinton YMCA around the 1st of June or just after… Registration deadline is May 29th.
- Tonight the LDHS football team will hold its Annual Spring Game at KC Hannah Stadium starting at 6pm. In conjunction with the Spring Game the annual Powder Puff game will also be held. They will start at 6 pm and play for 15 minutes and then the football team will play for two 15 minute quarters. After that the girls will come back out and play their second half. When they are done we will play two more 15 minute quarters. Cost will be $3 per person….Booster club membership and Century Club membership information for the 2013-2014 year will be available. As usual, membership in the Century Club will get you 2 reserved seats for regular season football games and 2 passes that will admit you to all home regular season contest for all other sports. Some new features for the Century Club are also in the works so get you name on the contact list at the Spring Game / Powder Puff contest on the 16th…. Before the contest the new LDHS Raider mascot Sir Victor will be announced
- Baseball:Final regular season series begin today for local teams and they are all road games:
- PC @ Gardner-Webb: 6:00 pm
- Clemson @ Florida State: 6:00 pm
- South Carolina @ Mississippi State: 7:30 pm
- Atlanta Braves: D-backs 5 – Braves 3… The Braves had a 3-1 lead going into the bottom of the 5th inning when Arizona put up 4 runs and then held on to take a 5-2 win over the Bravos… The Braves had their opportunities but left too many runners in scoring position… The Braves have the night off as they finally get to return home tomorrow night to start a weekend series with the Dodgers.
- Greenville Drive: Tourist 8 – Drive 1… The Ashville Tourist scored 7 runs in the bottom of the 4th inning then went on to take an 8-1 win over the Greenville Drive last night up in NC… That makes the 4th consecutive loss for the Drive and they will return home tonight to start a brief 4 game home stand with the Charleston RiverDogs.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Softball camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Head Softball Coach Nickie Templeton and the Clinton YMCA are proud to announce a series of softball camps for youth of different ages. The camps will occur between June 1st and June 6th… Information about exact dates, ages, times and costs are can be found in a posting in the Between the Lines section at www.wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Wednesday May 29th so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.