Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-17-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose baseball team opened up their final regular series of the season with Gardner-Webb in Boiling Springs, NC last night and the Runnin Bulldogs took a 4-2 win over the Blue Hose… PC was held to just 4 hits on the night… Now a schedule change concerning the rest of the series with G-W… The threat of bad weather has caused the rescheduling of the 2 remaining games into a doubleheader today… The first game will be at 2 pm and the second at 6 pm… Remember you can keep up with the action at www.GoBlueHose.com.
- Softball Camps… Please see the information below and in the Between the lines area at www.wlbg.com for information about softball camps conducted by CHS softball Coach Nickie Templeton being held at the Clinton YMCA around the 1st of June or just after… Registration deadline is May 29th.
- Spring Football Game: Last night the Laurens Raider football team closed out their spring practice with their annual spring game… As expected, the defense seemed to have the better night overall but the numerous fans were not disappointed in what they saw in the new triple-option offense… Coach Lawson is striving for a more equal balance in running and passing and this scheme seems to provide it… Quinn Suber, Grayson Bailes, Graydon Hamby and Toby Jackson all saw time at the quarterback position… Ryan Hughes and Spanky Crocker both ran hard as the offensive line opened holes for them… Coach Lawson’s comments are below in a video interview with local media representatives.
- Powder Puff Game… Also last night the Junior girls took a 30-0 win over the senior girls in the Powder Puff game held in conjunction with the Spring Football Game… The main difference in the game was the speed of the junior team largely in the form Maleaka Neal… She out-raced the senior team for 3 scores and Shekiya Burnside raced in with another score… The juniors other 2 points came on a safety.
- Baseball: Clemson and South Carolina also opened their last regular season series on the road last night…
- Clemson 8 – Florida State 2…. The #14 Tigers of Clemson took an 8-2 win over the #8 Seminoles of Florida State last night in Tallahassee…. The Tigers got their 8 runs on 11 hits and their pitching staff held the Seminoles to 2 runs on 6 hits … Game 2 is at 8 pm tonight and will be on ESPNU.
- Mississippi State 5 – South Carolina 4… The #12 Gamecocks held a 4-1 lead over the #16 Bulldogs of Miss. St. going into the bottom of the 8th inning last night out in Starkville when the Bulldogs struck for 4 runs and then held on to take a 5-4 win over the Gamecocks… The Bulldogs out hit the gamecocks 14-7 and Carolina’s main closer Tyler Webb gave up 3 of the 4 runs in the decisive 8th inning.
- Softball: The NCAA Division I Softball Championship series is beginning this weekend and the lady Gamecocks of South Carolina in the Austin Regional and will face the Houston Cougars today at 4 pm… This will be the 1st game in the double elimination regionals and the other two teams are Texas and Army.
- Atlanta Braves: The 22-18 Braves were off last night and will start a weekend series with Dodgers tonight at Turner Field… The Braves are currently in 1st place in the NL east with a 1 game lead over the Washington Nationals..
- Greenville Drive: The Drive lost their 5th game in a row as the Charleston RiverDogs defeated them 6-3 at Flour Field last night… They continue their weekend series tonight at 7:00
FYI / Community Interest
- Softball camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Head Softball Coach Nickie Templeton and the Clinton YMCA are proud to announce a series of softball camps for youth of different ages. The camps will occur between June 1st and June 6th… Information about exact dates, ages, times and costs are can be found in a posting in the Between the Lines section at www.wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Wednesday May 29th so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.