Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-21-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The PC baseball team closed out their season last weekend with a 3 game series up in Boiling Springs, NC against the Runnin Bulldogs of Gardner-Webb… The Bulldogs had the brooms out as they swept the series winning 4-2 on Thursday and winning both ends of a double-header on Friday by scores of 12-7 and 9-5… I’ll have more about the PC baseball and softball season on Friday.
- Dalton Foster… Yesterday senior Red Devil catcher Dalton Foster signed a letter of intent to further education and play baseball at USC-Salkehatchie… Dalton is a member of this year’s All-Region 3-AAA Team.
- Brandon Pitts… Last week I mentioned to you that on Monday, May 13th another CHS senior Brandon Pitts had signed a letter of intent to play baseball and continue his education at USC-Union… At that time I had not been able to catch up with Brandon to do a brief video interview… Yesterday I was able to sit down with him and his video interview and Dalton’s can be found on a posting in the Between the Lines area at www.wlbg.com… If you get a chance, check it out… Congratulations to both these young men.
- Last Friday Laurens High Athletic Director Mark Freeze handed out a special award to senor Tevin Barksdale… Tevin is the only member of this year’s senior class to have lettered in three varsity sports… Tevin lettered in football, basketball, and track… There is a photo of him and Coach Freeze on today’s sports report at wlbg.com… Congratulations to Tevin on this accomplishment.
- Allen Staton & Adam Taylor…. North Greenville University baseball standouts Adam Taylor and Allen Staton have received recognition for their play during the 2013 season being honored as members of the American Baseball Coaches Association All-Southeast Region Team…. Staton, a sophomore second baseman/pitcher, earned a spot on the All-Southeast Region First Team after batting .388, including a team-high .683 slugging percentage and 11 home runs… The Laurens, SC native also ranked first on the team with 71 hits, including 19 doubles, to go along with 54 RBI and 34 runs scored in 44 games… Taylor, a senior outfielder, was named to the All-Southeast Region Second Team after recording a team-high .392 batting average and a .485 on-base percentage in 45 games played… He recorded 67 hits on the season, including 10 doubles, five triples and five home runs, while scoring 41 runs and driving in 29 RBI…. To see the complete All-Region team click on the following: 2013_ABCA_SE_All-Region_Team
- SEC Baseball Tournament starts today in Hoover, AL and the Gamecocks of SC are a #4 seed which means they have a bye today and will play in the late game tomorrow.. I’ll have more tomorrow morning… If you are interested in the tournament bracket, click on the following: 2013_SEC_Baeball_Bracket
- ACC Baseball Tournament does not start until Wednesday… I’ll have more about that before then.
Braves 5 – Twins 1… The Braves did not wait on any late inning heroics last night as they have tended to do lately as they scored 4 runs in the 1st inning in route to a 5-1 win over the Twins down at the Ted… The big blow in the first inning was Dan Uggla’s 3-run homer his 8th of the year… Julio Tehran picked up the win going 8⅓ innings giving up 1 run on 5 hits while striking out 4 and walking 1… The Braves and the Twins play again tonight with first pitch scheduled for 7:10 at the Ted.
Greenville Drive: Hickory 5 – Greenville 2… Greenville out hit Hickory 10-8 but could not get key hits when needed and gave up 2 big homeruns.
- Softball Camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Head Softball Coach Nickie Templeton and the Clinton YMCA are proud to announce a series of softball camps for youth of different ages. The camps will occur between June 1st and June 6th… Information about exact dates, ages, times and costs are can be found in a posting in the Between the Lines section at www.wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Wednesday May 29th so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555
- Coupon Book For Sale… As you may or may not know, the athletic budget at the local high schools provided by the district often does not cover all the items needed to run an athletic team and coaches often have to look for other sources of income to make ends meet. The LDHS football program is no exception to that dilemma… This coming year they must replace or refurbish all helmets due to the 10 year rule, new uniforms are needed and the coach’s sideline communication system used to confer with the assistant coaches in or around the press box must be replaced… All this takes money not in the normal budget… To help pay for these the football team is selling a coupon book for $20 that has over 50 coupons to various local businesses.. One coupon in the book offers a free oil change and tire rotation from a local dealership that is alone worth well over $20… Coach Lawson will have these at all the home athletic events this spring and you can also get one by calling his office # 683-3360 and leaving a message… They also have them in them available in the main office at LDHS… If you get the chance, purchase one, I did.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.