Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-22-13
New Basketball Coaches Named at LDHS: Yesterday Athletic Director Mark Freeze had a news conference n the main office conference room where he announced the new head boys and girls head basketball coaches for LDHS. They are:
- Girls – Yoneko Washington… Most long time Raider fans know Coach Washington better as Yoneko Allen a former LDHS standout who played on 2 undefeated state championship teams and was AAAA Player of the Year her senior season… After playing at WCU she went on the coach at Union County for 5 years and is coming from Boiling Springs where she served as head coach last season… She said this is a dream come true to be back coaching at LDHS.
- Boys- Ben Sinclair… Coach Ben Sinclair is taking on his first head coaching job at LDHS after serving as JV and assistant varsity coach at Dreher High in Columbia and Wade Hampton in Greenville… Coach Sinclair has spent the last 6 years at Wade Hampton where the basketball program has a winning tradition… While there, they went undefeated and won the AAA State Championship in 2011.
- For more information, see my posting at wlbg.com in the Featured Sports section where you will find more information about each of these coaches and how the envision the teams being in the future… Congratulations to both of these new additions to the Raider coaching staff.
- Tigers: The Clemson Tigers start ACC baseball Tournament play tonight as they face the NC State Wolfpack… The 39-17 Tigers are the #5 seed playing the #4 seed Wolfpack who ended the regular season 42-13… First pitch is scheduled for 7:30.
- Gamecocks: The # 4 seed South Carolina Gamecock baseball team begins SEC Tournament play tonight as they take on Mississippi State in the last game of the night sometime after 8:15 pm… By the way, Mississippi State defeated Missouri 2-1 in 17 innings last night eliminating Missouri in single elimination first round play… The Gamecocks finished the regular season 39-16 and 17-12 in SEC play.. .The game tonight can be heard on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC
- Southern Conference… The Southern Conference will start there conference baseball tournament this morning up at Flour Field in Greenville… Click on the following for a link to the Southern Conference website posting with the tournament schedule: Southern Conference Baseball Tournament
Braves: The Braves had to come from behind and tie the game in the 9th inning to send it into extra innings where Freddie Freeman had a two out, two on single in the 10th inning to give the Braves a 5-4 win over the Brewers in Atlanta last night… Evan Gattis had a two-out pinch hit homerun in the 9th inning to tie the game… Brian McCann also homered for the Braves in the 4th inning…. The Braves will try to sweep the Brewers today at noon as they finish not only the series with Milwaukie but also the current home stand as they have tomorrow off and then go to New York to start a series with the Mets on Thursday.
Greenville Drive: The Drives lack of timely hits and lights out pitching continued last night as the lost to Hickory 7-2 up in NC… The teams will complete their current series tonight in Hickory.
- NAAACP Annual Golf Tournament… The Laurens County Branch of the NAACP will be having their 6th Annual NAACP Tournament on Saturday June 1, 2013. The event will be held at Lakeside Country Club and will be a 3-man captain’s choice tournament with tee time scheduled for 9:00 am. The entry fee is $150.00 per team and includes green fees, cart and food. There will be door prizes also… For more information, contact numbers and a registration form see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com
- Softball camps at the Clinton YMCA… Clinton High School Head Softball Coach Nickie Templeton and the Clinton YMCA are proud to announce a series of softball camps for youth of different ages. The camps will occur between June 1st and June 6th… Information about exact dates, ages, times and costs are can be found in a posting in Featured Sports section at wlbg.com … Registration deadline is Wednesday May 29th so don’t delay… For more information contact the Clinton YMCA at 864-833-1555
- Clinton YMCA Sports Camps and Swimming Lessons… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps and swimming lesson schedules at wlbg.com.
- Laurens YMCA Tennis and Golf Camps… The Laurens YMCA will be holding a tennis camp for ages 6-14 June 10-12.. They will be divided according to experience… Also June 11-13 there will be a golf camp at lakeside Country Club… The camp is for youth ages 7-15… The deadline to register for both these camps is June 9… For more information see the posting in the Featured Sports section at wlbg.com or call the Y at 984-2621
- Laurens YMCA Sports and Arts Camps… Also, be sure to check the Featured Sports section at for a list of all sports camps schedules at wlbg.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.